How useful is learning German if I plan to go into a STEM field?

How useful is learning German if I plan to go into a STEM field?

You can learn how to properly pronounce Euler

From experience my It's pretty useful if you work in Europe.

As a German, not very useful since all the German scientists work in English nowadays

Wie gut sprichst du den bereits deutsch?

>den
Reeeeee

>TU-Präsident Wolfgang Herrmann will alle Master-Studiengänge auf Englisch umstellen, die international übliche Standardsprache.

Lern lieber Chinesisch als zweit Sprache, user.

is it denn?

Germany has been investing more money in university funding and science during the last 10 years. It's becoming the "scientific powerhouse" of Europe again.

Academic career opportunities aren't that shining, though. There's a law in Germany that fixed-term positions in universities must be changed to permanent positions after one has served for certain amount of time. This has led to terminating the fixed-term positions just before the university should make the position permanent, and they just recruit a new person for a fixed-term position instead.

Luckily the private sector and industry have a long tradition of hiring Masters and PhDs.

So yeah, I would say learning German is useful if you're European. Many European countries have much shittier situation for academic people.

I was hoping you knew but it was just a typo. Yes.

Better to learn chinese desu. You will be able to communicate with international students and they will love you for it. You will also be able to cement your place by contributing to the greater asia sphere.

Useless. Every Western works in English.

French is a lot more useful.

useless, learn chinese

Being able to speak a second language will put you at the top of most anglo competitors. Learning an additional language in itself is very well worth your time, it definitely boosts your CV.

Sure, most Europeans speak 3 languages by default, but at least you won't be embarrassed all the time.

Depends.
A lot of chemistry texts are in German.
Back in the 70s it was required to take Scientific German at some schools.

Como bien tengo que hablar una lingua?
^ 4 years of training to get that trainwreck

4 years and that's what you got from it? ffs

in 4 years I am attending uni in my 3rd language

Learn Mandarin.

4 years into a language and you haven't mastered it? Are you dyslexic or just really lazy?

Hahahahaha. My sides.
No, they don't.
German is still the main language.
German, French, Chinese, Japanese, and Russian are always useful to steal old results and publish them as your own.

German is the second language of science. Germany is collapsing into anarchy in the next few decades though so you might want to learn Mandarin/Cantonese instead.

You can get through an education that qualifies you for an university without ever learning a second language in the USA? What do you guys even do over there?

>You can get through an education that qualifies you for an university without ever learning a second language in the USA?

Dunno, I'm not from the US. I'm a Eurofag, fluent in 3, am weak in the 4th. Anglos don't tend to learn languages, hence why user would stand out if he managed to do so.

We pronounce him just like you would read "Oiler".

I don't know. It was never top priority when studying. I'd focus on math and science in high school.
Why are languages so much harder for me to pick up than something like a programming language? Duolingo doesn't seem to cut it for my French studies.

Its also been almost a decade since I had to study verb forms. I only keep vocab by reading random labels.

Unless you're planning to work in Germany, I don't think that would be particularly useful.

(You)ler

I don't know. It was never top priority when studying. I'd focus on math and science in high school.
Why are languages so much harder for me to pick up than something like a programming language? Duolingo doesn't seem to cut it for my French studies.

Its also been almost a decade since I had to study verb forms. I only keep vocab by reading random labels in their various languages

>Why are languages so much harder for me to pick up than something like a programming language?
There's no pronunciation and you can google it every time you have any trouble, whereas in spoken words you have to arrange the words in a gramatically correct manner and speak with the right intonation, both without a search engine to help you.

>Duolingo doesn't seem to cut it for my French studies.
Never studied French, but I heard more than once that Duolingo is really shit for learning it.

To be fair, if english wasn't as important as it is I would probably still speak only german

Oila