How much did majoring in English improve your writing?

How much did majoring in English improve your writing?
No uni hate thread, genuinely curious. In senior year of HS and, as much as I love literature, I feel like majoring in math or physics would give me a better intuition of how things work, new sense of logic, and room for creativity

Am I deluded ?

It won't. Writing improves your writing, not writing about circle jerking bullshit literary theory or essays about the newest black feminist marxist gay trash.

>How much did majoring in English improve your writing?

Not at all.

if you could major in anything in pursuit of becoming a top writer, what would you personally choose?

You're deluded in thinking a certain major will make you writing better.

Good writing can't be taught. To be a good writer you have to write, a lot. It comes from trial and error and writing for yourself.

philosophy. but you need to abandon your dreams of becoming a top writer if you wish to become a top writer desu

Did a little bit, but only because it forced me to read some good shit for once (I didn't read much at all since I've been in middle school)

History or Phil, if your school isn't full of trash leftist professors, which mine unfortunately is.

English is fine as long as you don't take professor-talk as gospel. Your "good writing" can either be imitation or original (to whatever possible extent), and I get the impression that most people want to be original.

Unfortunately though, some people are good writers and some are not. Practice is a good way to improve as long as you don't burn yourself out. Try writing about things you don't give a fuck about until you can make it good. THEN write about something you care about and let it really shine.

Preface: no major is going to help you become a writer. only you can make yourself a good writer.

God tier
>Laboratory animal science
Good enough tier
>Classics
>philosophy focused on continental philosophy
>Foreign language
Bad tier
>Music
>Math/Physics/Engineering
>Linguistics
>Medicine
>economics
Shit tier
>English
Kill yourself tier
>Chemistry
>Nursing
>any other STEM field
>Philosophy focused on analytic philosophy

prelaw won't make you a good writer, but it will make you really good at writing like a lawyer.

>lab animal science
What did he mean by this

he means to say that he fingers rat anus all day and he somehow thinks that helps him paint prettier pictures in his paragraphs

Something interesting like anthropology or psychology. Writing is more or less depictions of people, so you ought to study people.

Math in the mad tier? Nigga go merk yourself.

Majoring in English improves your writing because you get a sense of the historical and the broader context in which you're writing. It makes you read a lot of mostly quality books, and to read closely. You get better at seeing structures in novels, that sort of thing. Of course, you can't be a good a writer without being a good reader. So in that sense it helps.

You also get good feedback on your writing, and somebody will tell you if your shit makes sense. Is it worth the tuition? I don't know. You could get most of that elsewhere. If I had to do it all over again, I'd still do English.

Majoring in English convinced me that I can't write worth a shit. But at least I'm self-reflexive enough to realize it, I guess.

I think philosophy is the only major that could slightly help

Religion and philosophy have been pretty good. Great for world building, but if I had to add anything it'd be history.

I usually write with some sort of theological basing, so really it just depends on whatever you're interested in. If I write, say, a story about sciences or mad experiments I usually just write it in the perspective of the ignorant victim because that's about all the knowledge I have on the subject.

>How much did majoring in English improve your writing?

How is someone meant to know?
I was 17 when I started my English major and finished at 21. I was likely to improve in that time regardless

The brain is a very sensitive organ. Studying STEM full-time for just one year can dramatically alter the essential structure and chemical composition of your brain to the point where you will forever be unable, after having altered your brain, to comprehend the subtleties of literary fiction for the rest of your life. I for example refuse to do anything which threatens to harm my brain and undermine my ambition to become a famous author. I studied English Literature, I earned an MFA and I am no considering applying for a PhD in literature. I have never had a job (any form of imposed routine is intensely harmful to any sensitive individual, and any aspiring author should be immensely sensitive to the point of suffering all the time) I refuse comprehend science and mathematics (both of which skew brain structure) and if anybody attempts to have a conversations with me about something that seems boring or irrelevant and thus manipulates my will (and thus my ambition) by forcing me to repress it in the time it takes to hear them say whatever they feel is necessary to say, especially my mom who I've been living with in the five years since gaining my MFA, I'll just pull a face and wave my hands around until they stop and go away. It isn't easy to have principles in this world, nor is it easy to succeed as a profound and interesting literary writer, but studying English Literature is a reliable way to gain three or four years experience of reading, writing and receiving lectures from individuals who have dedicated their lives to the same thing.

Quality shitpost

>mfw i do chemistry

>Writing is more or less depictions of people, so you ought to study people.
so why should he, by that logic, opt for psychology? bit of a non sequitur there

Literature, duh

Yes you are.

I like this satire user. It reminds me of a subdued Ignatius Reilly

>literary theory is bullshit
no, not if your professor is doing it right
>the newest black feminist marxist gay trash
that's comp lit

just had to let out a big, steaming shit post right in the middle of the thread, huh? poo in the loo next time >

Major in what will make you the most money, unless you're in some country where education is free. It's too expensive otherwise.

Creative writing is literally the only choice

Physical or synthetic