What books can I read that will convince me to become religious?

What books can I read that will convince me to become religious?

That's a pretty broad question and you shouldn't really be looking for books to convince you of an opinion. Read up on theology and read major religious texts like the bible and if it's a branch of thinking that you agree with or like continue to read more.

Reading books will make you less religious if you are not Kierkegaard.

The bible

What religion do you want senpai?

The Bible
City Of God
Confessions
Cloud Of Unknowing

Other religions, I don't know.

the way to god is not in literature (besides the bible) but in music. Listen to bach and thats where you can start your journey.

peter kreeft, william lane craig, alvin plantinga, frederick copleston, etienne gilson

anything by kierkegaard

we already had this thread today

If there was a text that simply argued convincingly for the case, we'd all be religious.

nice
"music is the face of god" - john frusicante

The Bible
Kierkegaard
Dostoevsky
Thoreau

Books can convince you of the merits of organized religion. True belief comes from introspection and a perspective shift in the way you view the world. Apologetics can lead you there, but its up to you to see the light.

Anything but the bible

1 Corinthians

God’s Power and Wisdom in Christ Jesus
18 The teaching about the cross seems foolish to those who are lost. But to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 As the Scriptures say,

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise.
I will confuse the understanding of the intelligent.”
20 So what does this say about the philosopher, the law expert, or anyone in this world who is skilled in making clever arguments? God has made the wisdom of the world look foolish. 21 This is what God in his wisdom decided: Since the world did not find him through its own wisdom, he used the message that sounds foolish to save those who believe it.

22 The Jews ask for miraculous signs, and the Greeks want wisdom. 23 But this is the message we tell everyone: Christ was killed on a cross. This message is a problem for Jews, and to other people it is nonsense. 24 But Christ is God’s power and wisdom to the people God has chosen, both Jews and Greeks. 25 Even the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom. Even the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.

C.S. Elliot "Mere Christianity." If that doesn't make a believer out of you, enjoy your liberation as a non-religious secular adult. It's a short book, shouldn't take more than a day or two.

If you want to be religious, you don't need to read, you need to pray.

Yes, I'm aware that a non-believer praying seems paradoxical. Just do it anyway. Ask the Holy Spirit into your life (I'm assuming you want to become a Christian). Invite God to transform you.

I'm an atheist who prays "Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me" 1000 times a day. It make no difference. God either hates me or is indifferent. Nothing happens.

>C.S. Elliot

Ah, Lewis. I was thinking of the poet. With one "l".

Iliad
Odyssey
Homeric Hymns
Theogony
Works & Days
Works of Æschylus

If The Bible isn't enough then you are lost.

My diary, desu

It's not about repetition.
I guess you'll have to be a bit more specific, and it's different for everyone.
The ones that influenced me a lot were Sickness Onto Death and Fear and Trembling, even if I hardly care for Kierkegaard now, The Brothers Karamazov and other big Dostoevsky novels, Book of the New Sun.
Now I have a great appreciation for Benedict XVI, Thomas Aquinas, Flannery O'Connor, John Henry Newman, Solzhenitsyn, Shusaku Endo, Thomas Kempen, Thomas Merton (there's clearly a trend of Thomases).
Maybe throw in some Feser, although he's more for fighting the inner fedora. You'll really have to go through it yourself, it's after all the most personal thing you may experience.

Crime and Punishment

>recommend me books that will instantly answer questions like the meaning of life

God you people are such plebs. When are you people finally going to figure out that this is a slow and often very painful process that doesn't have to leave you satisfied?

Start with Plato, my friend.

The Quran

Completely agree. I know it's weird but what brought me to christianity is music. Only moment when you truly feel in contact with God imo desu senpai

>tfw no Latin mass in my town

The miserables
that much goodness is not possible without a god

Me too to be honest. Choral music is excellent in letting you see the beauty of devotion. Chesnokov's Vespers are a good example.

Pfff , Bach

DOSTOEVSKY !!!

Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut

The Bible
If it doesn't work, get a lobotomy and try again

Try the Torah.

What books can I read that will convince me to become what you meant by this?

This isn't /mu/ so I'll sage, I guess. What's wrong with Bach?

Prometheus Bound blew my mind the other day

because a fully intact brain is incompatible with religion.

This will be the Affirmative Action Pope

>he doesn't know we're primed to have another African pope

John Coltrane playing Crescent live at Temple University 1966 is what did it for me

This far fucking in and absolutely no mention of Thomas Aquinas? Utterly disgusting

Sarah for Pope
Down with Francis
You should try ctrl+f+aquinas

read up on major religious texts so you can understand different religions viewpoints. i particularly enjoyed the quran. its unique, its a subjective thing

Read Gödels writings (especially his notebooks) and on his life, it really made me feel weird.
Didn't make me a theist, but certainly more openminded toward religious thinking