Antigone

Can we discuss Antigone? What does Veeky Forums think about it? Has anyone read Zizek's version that came out this year?

I'm interested because I've read both Sophocles' and Anouilh's version.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavoj_Žižek_bibliography
interpretationjournal.com/backissues/Vol_4-3.pdf
interpretationjournal.com/backissues/Vol_5-1.pdf
interpretationjournal.com/backissues/Vol_5-2.pdf
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Do your own homework

It's the worst of Sophocles' Theban plays.

It's great. Don't be a loser.

Funny you should say that, I read both Antigones for an essay. I've already done that, and want to discuss it on Veeky Forums now

I haven't read the others, why didn't you like it? I do have to say the background information about the war between Argos and Thebes intrigued me.

wtf was Creon's problem?

He does whatever it takes for stability. He doesn't like the stink of Polynice's body entering his palace either but he has to put up with it to keep the oafs he's governing under control

and he's paranoid as fuck

I've read Sophocles' version for school a couple of years ago. We had a great discussion about it. I should reread it some of these days.
Žižek's version was supposed to have the world premiere at a theater in my city this year but they apparently had some problems and it's postponed for the next season. The text has been released here in the meantime, but I haven't read it. I'd rather see it live first.
Is it even available in your language?

If it's in English I can read it. Can I get a pdf somewhere?

Read Oedipus Rex and come back in an hour. It's amazing.

already did :^)

I'm not an anglo, I don't know if it has been translated into English at all. That's why I asked you.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavoj_Žižek_bibliography
yep

He wanted to look strong but then he realised he fucked up but he couldn't back down because of a woman (and family at that!) because then he would look very weak.

Oedipus at Colonus is the best of the three desu

OP, check out the following close commentaries of Antigone by the classicist and philosopher Seth Benardete.
Part 1
interpretationjournal.com/backissues/Vol_4-3.pdf

Part 2
interpretationjournal.com/backissues/Vol_5-1.pdf

Part 3
interpretationjournal.com/backissues/Vol_5-2.pdf

Creon did nothing wrong. His only misstep was losing his guts near the end and backpedaling. The traitor deserved what he got, Antigone was whiny and her arguments were appeals to emotion and other irrational trash.

and to add to this, Polynices was a dickhead, and Creon and Eteocles knew this, so they blocked him out of power. They were just doing what was best for Thebes, because Polynices was a warmonger. He even attacked his own fucking city. I don't know why people defend him. Sure, Eteocles broke the deal they had, but that was because they needed to keep Thebes stable.

In Anouilh's version both Polynice and Eteocle are dickheads

saved

thanks pal

CONTROVERSIAL OPINION: OEDIPUS AT COLONUS IS THE BEST IN THE CYCLE