How does this molecule contain all the information about how to construct a human...

How does this molecule contain all the information about how to construct a human? I've heard that it doesn't actually contain the information about where every cell should be located, but instead defines the fractal pattern by which cells propagate, is that correct?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_clawed_frog#Use_in_research
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes I think the localization of cells is mostly determined by the gradient of certain molecules provided by the mother (maternal effect genes, morphogens)

it contains codons which code for amino acids that make proteins

different cells produce different proteins in the body, depending on their location and transcription factors that act on them. so, by containing the genetic codons to make all the body's proteins, they determine how the body forms in an organism

How to proteins determine the cellular structure of an organ?

Same way a protein determines its own shape and structure: physics.

I know this is a stupid question by why aren't chromosomes linked with complexity of a species. Why does a shrimp have almost double the chromosomes as a human.

Junk DNA

can you be more specific, if I recall junk DNA is still very important. Are you saying human junk DNA is more important than in other animals or that we have less junk DNA?

shitty coders write bloated code

Number of chromosomes doesn't say a lot. If you split up all the human chromosomes in two, it would double the number of chromosomes without changing the number and function of the genes.

Same thing if you merged the chromosomes. It would result in fewer chromosomes but no real change in the actual genes.

A very complicated chain of transcription factors leading to cellular differentiation. Development utilizes lots of gradients of transcription factors both spatially and temporally to rig up many different cocktails of transcription factors that all have a very complicated relationship with one another, and so on as the organism develops

Stores tons of information. Hundreds of petabytes (hundreds of millions of gigabytes)

It's a recipe, it needs to be read by the correct machinery. Put it in an insect cell and you don't get a human. Also, it's missing mitochondrial DNA.

You brainlets know "junk" DNA is now thought to be integral to development and a host of other necessary processes, right?

>if I recall junk DNA is still very important
its not actually.

they made mice pregnant in space
Turns out gravity somehow helps a body grow limbs where they should be.

Eh, no. It has some functions, but it certainly isn't integral. It's just the random product of the evolutionary process.

pics?

I don't think they published pics
It was done in the ISS though, you can find articles easily

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_clawed_frog#Use_in_research

Start reading, OP. My embryology is a bit rusty, but a nice example for structure would be that cells of the primitive knots have cilia that make a motion to the left, so special secreted growth factors have a greater concentration there, thus establishing the structure of organs you are familiar with. A defect in one of their proteins can lead to a situs inversus, which means your organs can be mirrored, like your heart facing right. If you have the patience to go through an embryology textbook it kinda falls into place.

>I've heard that it doesn't actually contain the information about where every cell should be located, but instead defines the fractal pattern by which cells propagate,
you're close, but not quite right. it's not really accurate to call it a fractal pattern.

animal cells know how to do two things: move and divide. maternal gradients establish some basic axes like anterior/posterior and dorsal/ventral in developing embryos, and from there cells signal to each other to determine what kind of tissues they will differentiate into

once you have a more complete body plan, you get more complex structures forming. the dna doesn't tell the cells exactly how to grow, but it does tell them something analagous to "ok, if you're in this part of the body, keep growing until you get a signal to stop"