Anyone have recommended reading on the philosophy of altering your state of mind?

Anyone have recommended reading on the philosophy of altering your state of mind?

Preferably with psychedelics but in general too.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=spdxWhKxpF8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Anyone have recommended reading on the philosophy of altering your state of mind?
My diary desu, I am schizophrenic.

Psychedelics tell you that the Spiritual is only accessible through the Material, which is a lie. You can permanently alter your Mind through contemplation alone. Gnosis - it works.

Phenomenology of Spirit

I don't understand where this extremely popular, completely wrong belief got started. What you can do while sober isn't the same as what psychedelic compounds do.

youtube.com/watch?v=spdxWhKxpF8

>Psychedelics tell you that the Spiritual is only accessible through the Material
No they dont. They tell you that the spiritual is accessible through material but it doesnt imply "only". Where on earth did you get that idea?

Doors of perception

The Psychedelic Experience

Deepak Chopra and Terrence McKenna.

Basically just remain an adolescent pseud for the rest of your life

This. It's basically Tim Leary writing a manual on how to use psychedelics. Other than some quackery (his model of consciousness has psychedelics evoking a circuit of consciousness reserved for space-faring societies, complete with telepathy or some shit iirc) the guide itself is useful to OP's purposes.

Do ketamine instead and read this desu

This

THIS

Jesus H. Christ. I'm surprised someone who likes to get that fucked up can still read.

Pihkal is great tho

Marxist philosophy

Psychedelics dont really affect your cognitive abilities (long term at least) if you do them in moderation. Stay away from dissociatives though, that shit will make you a pemanent space cadet

how about something not requiring drugs at all? i'm more interested in psychological change through oneself

>im getting high on life!
I dont care what anyone says about reaching new planes through meditation, NOTHING will ever get you even close to the places hallucinogenic drugs do.

What do you mean? I did dxm a couple times and am just fine

i don't mind, but drugs and drug experiences are just not interesting to me. i'd like to read about experiences achieved without them

A few times is fine, but if youve ever met someone whos "into" dissociatives, theyre very off, and they never really return to normal. Also dissociatives dont have the amount of research behind them psychs do, and so the long term effects on the brain are unkown

Its different then meditation. With meditation you are observing from an objective perspective all stuff going on around you. Like it should get to the point where you view external sounds the same as your current emotions. I am trying to achieve this right now. Psychedelics make you think about shit your doing wrong in your life. Its really forced.

I looked up the term space cadet. I am actually like that..I can be having a conversation with someone like my mom and completely zone out and not know what they were saying, but I know they were talking, like I am aware that they were speaking and I was not listening. Fuck I fucked up lol..

my diary desu

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

>Psychedelics make you think about shit your doing wrong in your life. Its really forced.
Really narrow description. Psychs do so much more than just that. Ive had pleanty of trips where i was just left in complete and utter awe in the face of the infinite and had no personal introspection at all

>Psychedelics make you think about shit your doing wrong in your life. Its really forced.
vissapanna style meditation encourages the same thing, but just as with meditation you can observe the thought and let it pass as a new ones comes along

Leary was an asshat
Yes
Cant say for deepak but mckenna has everyone's favorite opinions on psychedelics
Just keep it in the tryptamine family. The body knows how to metabolize those.
Richard evanes schultes, albert hoffman, dennis and terence mckenna, rick strassman, graham hancock.

Thats the thing. With shrooms its at the point where I am on the bed in a world of hell as they are forcing this bad thought to continue

You suck at doing shrooms then

you got a lotta bawls linking terence mckenna in a post that is intended to be taken seriously

Shrooms are described as a harsh teacher for a reason. Its unpleasent, but its pretty effective at nailing the point into youe skull so you cant simply brush it off later.

is pihkal an actual book? like with a story? i always thought it was just a text book

Its a compendium of substances. Describes synthesis, dosage, subjective effects, etc for various chemicals. No story or fiction whatsoever

Best answer
Good answer
Read great philosophy and literature. Listen to great music. Lose yourself in art. Create something yourself. Engage in a dialog with the best of human creation. Reading Hegel is a much more transcendent experience than taking acid, as someone who has done both. (Although the experiences compliment each other well. Some of of my favorite things to do while tripping are contemplating whatever I've been reading recently and discussing philosophy with someone).
I've never done Ketamine or DXM, but I have done MXE a number of times and it's definitely the most intellectually-friendly drug I have had. Unlike psychedelics or marijuana, MXE does not severely lower the capacity for complex thought. In fact, it encourages thought, by reducing sensory input, partially isolating the self from the other.
Worst post ITT. You clearly have no idea how drugs work, and you have shit taste. Let me guess: you also love Tool and Alex Grey.

How do you get better?

you seem awful

This is Veeky Forums Veeky Forums not /psy/. I don't know what you expected of not smug pseudo intellectuals who like to read notoriously difficult books.

It's an autobiography of alexander and anne's shulgin's life and marriage

you've obviously never even read the book

dissociatives are definitely interesting but about their "intellectual-friendl[iness]", idk
there are definitely adverse effects with nmda antagonists and long-term abuse seems to result in diminished cognitive abilities and memory loss

ann shulgin*

>It's an autobiography of alexander and anne's shulgin's life and marriage
half the book is

>you've obviously never even read the book
why? my answer was wrong because I didnt know the first half was an auto biography, but Im right about exactly what the second half of the book is.

Contemplation, not meditation, guy.

Erowid experience vaults :^)

not that user but
whats wrong with tool and alex grey?

not him, but magical ideation is wrong with tool and alex grey.

Get a load of this guy.
A druggie pseud who doesn't know what he's talking about.
Total fucking unicorn.

ahh. i always thought they were more about OP's question of altering your state of mind and opening your mind to the world around you.

You can say that's what they're about, but their methods are wacky and counterproductive. I've heard Maynard unironically talk about women having a stronger connection to men with the moon, and implying Earth the planet having a distinct spirit capable of will, for example. There's opening your mind, and there's opening it so far your brain spills on the floor.

You are scum

Do you guys have an idea why Henry Miller only writes about alcohol and almost never about drugs? It's kind of strange. They've had lots of drugs since the beginning of the belle epoque .. cocaine, heroine, weed, morphine, opium tincture, ether... etc. Just rereading the tropics again and now that I'm not a teen anymore this seems kinda strange to me the only drug of choice is alcohol
... was it self censureship on Millers part, because society wasnt ready to have a book about hard drugs?

Every other drug gets boring after you do it 20 times. Alcohol never does. This from personal experience

weed is boring per default but uppers arrent

This is wrong

>Where on earth did you get that idea?

Directly from his anus

Alcohol got boring after 2 uses. Its literally the most boring depressent there is

Ok. Id like to see you meditate your way to DMT land

Pretty sure things like entity contact, fractal geometry, OBEs, and ego death dont occur with a sober mind

The mind can enter non-sobriety without outside substances

DMT land is babby tier

It literally cant based on the definition of sobriety. And again, I dont think experiencing any of things without drugs is possible unless you have mental illness

Compared to fucking what? Theres no literally no change of conciousness as profound and removed from reality as DMT

Once you've had it then you understand

Once youve had DMT then you youd understand

How long does your DMT last you? What's the longest time one experience has stayed with you?

The actual effects? 15 minutes. It has chsnged me permenantly though

Only 15 minutes

And?

5-meo-dmt?
large doses of ketamine/pcp?

Oral DMT lasts about 8 hours

I'm being entirely pretentious. Did any of those DMT experience ever give you the mystical experience? Some people get the mystical experience from psychedelics and anesthetics. I had mine lucid

It has chsnged me permenantly though

You seem like a fag.

>5 meo dmt
>dissociatives
>more mind altering than nn dmt

Truly spoken like someone talking out of his ass

Forgot the >

>Did any of those DMT experience ever give you the mystical experience?
Literally all of them. I dont think its possible not to have a mystical experience on DMT

K. Learn to use greentext retard

Okay so you really "get" things

You "get" everything then, because when you have that experience, you absolutely understand. Will you tell me a bit about your experience?

I dont know what youre talking about

Then you must not have had it

Do you know what THE mystical experience is? It's not just any altered state of consciousness, it's THE experience. If you have no had this experience, you're not living, you're sleeping

If you've had it you know exactly what I'm talking about

I've taken DMT hundreds of times and only once had anything you'd describe as remotely like a mystical experience

Are you talking about Shulgin's ++++ (plus four) or what some would call "satori"

Satori, yes, that's one name for it

>THE experience
No such thing

Ok buddy ;)

Enlightenment doesnt exist, you are trapped by your subjective limitations, and any "awakening" youve experienced is an illusion

Damn it, I've always wanted so badly to make that woman moan...

This is being pretentious because you don't know better. You literally have no idea because you haven't had it, and there's no way to understand until you do have it, and it's all down to chance whether you ever will

my nigga

not "enlightenment" but a transcendental experience. Alexander Shulgin, a scientist, described it thusly:
A rare and precious transcendental state, which has been called a "peak experience," a "religious experience," "divine transformation," a "state of Samadhi" and many other names in other cultures. It is not connected to the +1, +2, and +3 of the measuring of a drug's intensity. It is a state of bliss, a participation mystique, a connectedness with both the interior and exterior universes, which has come about after the ingestion of a psychedelic drug, but which is not necessarily repeatable with a subsequent ingestion of that same drug. If a drug (or technique or process) were ever to be discovered which would consistently produce a plus four experience in all human beings, it is conceivable that it would signal the ultimate evolution, and perhaps the end, of the human experiment.
—Alexander Shulgin, PIHKAL, pages 963–965

It happens arguably more often without drugs though

So we are validating everyones subjective experiences and assuming they are accurate descriptions of objective reality? Lol kys

Because psychedelics arent often used in general. Its way easier to reach on drugs than sober

i'm not a guy that argues that it doesn't but i will say it is much harder without the aid of drugs

That's true

All chance-based yeah, but people coming back from war or intense depression can often get it and have been recorded doing so

>Ok buddy ;)
...yes? You can buy it on silk road, usually comes in little blue half-gram plastic baggies. Beige powder, smells like burnt plastic when you vaporise it. I used to do it a lot. Maybe you're just simple minded if you thought you were having a mystical experience coincidentally after every time you knowingly took a powerful hallucinogenic.

A mystical experience is defined by thinking you had one. You can only think you had one, you cant actually 'know' you experienced ultimate reality

Then the guy I'm responding to is just as dumb as I thought.

And how many times have you had a breakthrough?

>wrong about 1/2 of what you're talking about
>thinking you're right

How? That corresponds exactly with what he said

:")

god bless u user
so jelly