Is there a LOTR equivalent written by a Japanese, Chinese or Korean author and translated to English?

Is there a LOTR equivalent written by a Japanese, Chinese or Korean author and translated to English?

What are some great fantasy (or horror or sci fi) fiction novels written by asians?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_8rkcJ5sYDI&list=PL46NnZF5rkhehGRuhnGUI0phBmYmFposP
wuxiaworld.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Journey to the West. It's old, though.

The Chinese haven't been all that enthusiastic about Chinese folklore for the last 150 years or so.

You want a story about a group of men adventuring into unknown land with incredibly well descriptive writing emitting feelings of comfy you'll never come across again? But in Asia?

I heard Marco Polo went to Asia, and wrote about it. Read that.

this desu

>The Chinese haven't been all that enthusiastic about Chinese folklore for the last 150 years or so.

Any idea why?

>Journey to the West

Okay there are 1800 page long and 260 page long versions on Amazon, which should I get?

1800 pages of course

In broad strokes:

19th century for China = the English getting everybody addicted to opium to get the tea, the other Euros being dicks, attempts by the empire/dynasty to modernize, also rebellions.

20th century: conflict between the end of the dynasty/empire and the rise of the republic, getting fucked up by Japanese imperialism, and then exiling onto an island while the communists dominate

ain't got no time for folklore with all that shit going on

>he's on 4 Chan and doesn't know of japan's long history of fantasy games and anime
Basically the same thing as watching the LotR movies, games are more like Choose Your Own Adventure books though but with more content.

Three Kingdoms!

The book is super fun, but you can watch the based 2010 adaptation for free right here. Chen Jianbin/Cao Cao steals every scene he is in.

youtube.com/watch?v=_8rkcJ5sYDI&list=PL46NnZF5rkhehGRuhnGUI0phBmYmFposP

holy shit thats the dynasty warriors story.

suggestions on editions?

I'm pretty sure this one, by Moss Roberts, is the one that most Westerners read. I enjoyed it a lot. The show is absolutely great. But *long*...95 episodes, each approx 45 minutes. Totally worth it, imho.

I want books tho nigro

The Story of the Stone is the best of the 4 desu

Light novels count? I can't imagine they would be too good of a read though

t. fuckin' weeb trash

Why? The games are dialogue-heavy anyway.

The Three-Body Problem

If only the battles were actually good. The action scenes are so shit

>sci fi) fiction novels written by asians?

Not quite what you're looking for, but within parameters: Zelanzy's "24 Views of Mt. Fuji, by Hokusai" Super cool read.

"Twenty-four ways of looking at Mt. Fuji. It struck me that it would be good to take one thing in life and regard it from many viewpoints, as a focus for my being, and perhaps as a penance for alternatives missed.”

Here are two selections I liked,but each only half covering the criteria from both sides...

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami
A sci fi novel set in contemporay times,but epic in its humble way.

The Initiate Brother and Gatherer of Clouds by Sean Russell

A fantasy set in a timeless ancient China,with a young monk destined to topple empires but struggling to keep faith with his resposibilitiesin his duties and Order.

>murakami
this man, in my country he is nothing.

Musashi

The Grace of Kings.

It's silkpunk

>Compilation of existing, disparate folklore into a coherent, lengthy narrative about a long-fomenting battle between good and evil, precipitated by a magical, cursed artifact that brings both great power and great suffering to all who possess it.
>Japanese
Inuyasha

>What are some great fantasy (or horror or sci fi) fiction novels written by asians?
I don´t know

cultural revolution
modern chinese is a shit language, the grammar is too simple and you can't express things in interesting ways. Classical chinese is something that a native would study, most likely at university.

In a society that puts the heaviest weight on your place in the food chain, and the fact that writing is not really respected as a profession in china, not many great novels are going to be produced

as for japan, "tale of the genji" is one of the oldest works still read today. It is not fantasy but it is an important part of japanese literature

1Q84 is about a faggot writer and some assassin lady who are destined to meet. I never read beyond book 2. They have nothing at all in common with LOTR except the fact that both are trilogies.

Water Margin > Journey to the West

Japanese - Inu Yasha
Korean - Moonlight Sculptor
Chinese - wuxiaworld.com

>muh innocent Chinese
Yes user, China's woes stem from Europeans and Japan. Mao's Great Leap Forward and Cultural Revolution are only worthy of a minor note; the true criminals are everyone else.

i'd destroy it too. degenerate minority culture should not be allowed to propagate and get in the way of glorious western civilization

Seconding this, Moss Roberts did the definitive translation. Go for the Unabridged version; it is in two volumes and has a ton of footnotes but absorbing and well written. My friend had the abridged and I flipped through it after reading the full version, seemed like quite a bit was cut out.

>China
>western civilization
Go to China user. Walk around the cities, then walk around the countryside. No one wants that shit in their countries.

I am not involved in this thread... But I have to point out that pic related is Hong Kong, which is where I live and easily one of the most developed parts of China. It should not be taken as a representative of China in general since it was a British colony.

(cont'd)
Also the buildings look like that because they are going to be demolished to make place for more skyscrapers, which are of cause a HK specialty.

'most developed'
It's easily been outstripped by the 'new' cities and Shanghai

Are you talking about the book or the serial?

The TV series. It reuses a lot of footage, is badly edited with generally terrible choreography.

It's still worth a watch if you like the period/romance, i just wish the action scenes were better.

>Inuyasha
Is this a meme?

One piece

260, you'll miss nothing.