Gently drop knife into a bowl

>gently drop knife into a bowl
>tip breaks off

Is my knife made of defective materials or is Shun just a shit meme brand?

I know the blade is thin so I handled it gently but I didn't know the metal was as brittle as glass. I've seen ceramic knives take more punishment. Anyways the knife is going back to Shun for repair/replacement. Will they send me a new knife or will they jew me and grind a new edge and send it back half an inch shorter?

nice story OP, glorius nippon steel never breaks, not when it's folded over 1000 times

why do you need the end? I never stab anything with it.

>Is my knife made of defective materials

No, you're just a retard.

OFC a very hard, thin, tip is going to be fragile. WTF were you doing putting a knife in a bowl anyway?

>gently drive my Ferrari off-road in a mudbog
>gets stuck

Is my car defective or am I just stupid?

>OFC a very hard, thin, tip is going to be fragile.
>very hard
>fragile

Not OP, but that's fucking retarded.

It was soiled so I set it with the rest of the dirty dishes.

>what is brittle
if you made a knife out of diamond it would be very hard but insanely brittle

>Not OP, but that's fucking retarded.

The harder a knife steel is the more brittle it becomes. That's basic material science. Hard objects don't deal well with dropping or impact--they shatter--whereas a softer material can bend to absorb the impact. It's no different from dropping any other hard object, like a wine glass or something made of porcelain.

Making the part thinner makes the problem even worse.

Shun knives are known for being both hard and thin....so it's pretty damn obvious that they could be easily damaged by improper use/care.

If you want a knife that can withstand abuse then get something made of softer steel.

>drop knife
>into a bowl
You're a double nigger

>not a Masamune

I'm as skeptical of "shun chips" memes as anyone, but I've got a VG10 knife that I've dropped and abused in a million different ways and I've never had the tip break off

Maybe there really is something to these memes, I always wrote them off as shun owners just being too stupid to be allowed near non-serrated cutlery

>is Shun just a shit meme brand?

We warned you about Shun, bro.
We told you, dog.

>gently throw my smart phone across the room
>screen shatters

Is my phone made of defective materials or is Samsung just a shit meme brand?

>Will they send me a new knife or will they jew me and grind a new edge and send it back half an inch shorter?

Can someone answer this? I just want to have an idea of what to expect.

This is what I get for treating the knife like a working tool instead of a sacred weeaboo artifact meant to be handled like a hattory hanzo

If I get another knife it's going to be Wusthof.

If you can't grind out a chipped or dinged blade yourself you have no business buying knives that cost more than $25, and that applies whether it's a 54 HRC wusthof or a 60 HRC shun

Who said I couldn't? I can almost certainly sharpen better than you can, but I'd rather have the knife replaced than change its dimensions.

>I send my knives back to the manufacturer to fix damage I inflicted through my own abject stupidity
>I swear I can sharpen guys! honest!
Lol, no

You don't understand how the qualities of steel work.

"I don't want a shorter knife"
>durr why don't you sharpen the chip out?

k

I wish there were a function on Veeky Forums that let us just filter an IP, never to see their shitposts again. Dumbasses like have never and will never contribute anything of worth to this website. If mods won't do their job, then the least we could have is a way to silence him.

>this butthurt over a joke
I bet all of your posts are high-quality and you never engage in memery of any kind

>I fucked up my knife
>are they going to fix it or give me a free knife for nothing?
I changed my mind about this , shun owners shouldn't be allowed near sharp objects or fire

cant know for sure op, youll just have to wait and see, hope you learned from your mistake, a knife goes from the knifeblock to the cuttingboard and from there directly back to the knifeblock, leaving it in the sink or anywhere else is just asking for trouble.
also you obviously dont know how to sharpen a knife because nobody that takes the time and effort to do so would ever leave his knife in the sink

>gently drop knife into a bowl
>drop knife
you're an idiot regardless, you always set a knife down, you don't drop it
>your actual question
generally speaking the harder something is the more brittle it is, as in prone to shattering

>throws his $100 kitchen knife into a pile of dirty dishes
>calls the company jews and expects them to replace it when he was the idiot who broke it in the first place

Not sure if bait.

Chef buddy of mine hates the tang on Wusthof, "you can't sharpen it properly." Is his gripe.

I assume you mean the bolster and not the tang?

And sure, you can sharpen it correctly, that just requires an extra step: periodically grinding down the bolster.

That said, a Wusthof would be perfect for OP. They are much thicker, heavier and made from softer steel. Thus they can tolerate a lot more abuse.

Everyone has their preferences, which is why you should always handle a knife before buying.

Loads of people here constantly complain that the handle on Globals is slippery, but in my experience that's complete bullshit.

not bait. just the average mentality of a williams-sonoma customer

op should just take it back to the store and immediately ask to talk to the manager

Personally I r8 steel as brittle as glass to be defective but what do I know

upboated your post. do you have a blog I can RSS feed bookmark?

>a brain roten mongoloid mouthbreathing incest abomination dumbfuck calls someone else retarded
how can you even bind your own shoes while being this ignorant and dumb, let alone finish high school where they teach you physics and chemistry 101?
If I were you I would definitely kill myself.

they should replace it. never dealt with Shun specifically but have had many KAI products and they're pretty good about replacing things. Wrap it up and send it back they should replace it for you

idk man, my lazy ass leaves knives in the sink all the time, and I sharpen them myself at least once a month. it's a "future problem for future me" kinda deal really

but OP is like 99.9% a dude, and we all know talking to the manager doesn't work without that haircut

knife in sink with dirty dishes inevitably means you cut yourself because you forget the kife is in there, this will happen its just a matter of time really, maybe it wont be bad,maybe itll be real bad.
putting your knife anwhere where it grinds against other things, sink,dishwasher w/e means itll go blunt ike 4times faster, it can loose its complete edge by crushing against a single pot in your sink. I mean im speaking from experience here, i spent most of my life with a blunt af knife rotting in the sink 2.

Didn't anyone ever tell you not to feed the troll

knoife bump