Why do post apocalyptic novels always have some supernatural horror elements?

Why do post apocalyptic novels always have some supernatural horror elements?

Apart from The Road are there any Novels about the end of the world that are realistic?

Childhood's End.

"Earth Abides" by George R. Stewart.

On the Beach by Nevil Shute

All wrong

Roadside picnic

Animorphs.

Okay.
Then what?

A Canticle for Leibowitz

I just want something.. gritty. No sci-fi, no fantasy, no horror.

Seveneves by Neal Stephenson.

In particular, the Russians played the most realistic roles.

>gritty. No sci-fi,

Well, Seveneves is sci-fi in that it is fiction which discusses science. Gritty as hell.

And not fantastical sci-fi. Its supposed to be a realistic interpretation of what we could accomplish with our current technology

Riddley Walker

Realistic trash, though. Focus is put on the weight of the things he travels with, he tries to avoid locations of high undead population, is wary of the dangers of confronting the living, there's focus on keeping up with food (bottling to preserve it, try to avoid eating canned/bottled food so as to make it last, for instance instead of opening a can of beans just do a bit of fishing if there's a water source nearby, etc.), conserving ammunition (bayonet threats that can't be avoided, avoid threats altogether if possible), as well as a legitimate method of reloading ammo on the run. Not all reloading presses must be fastened to a bench. Pull bullets from ammo that can't be used, use the powder for ammo that CAN be used, and even reuse the bullets if possible.

The main character, at one point, manages to find some soft point .308 cartridges. Only two, I think. Now he addresses that .308 is a bit hotter than .303 (which is what he uses), so to be excessively safe, makes 4 rounds of .303 with the powder from the .308. Yeah it's weak compared to his standard .303 loads, but it's good enough for short range stuff. Probably best not to try and take it beyond 100m though because the point of aim will be quite off and he won't know exactly what to set the rear sight to. Maybe aiming with the sights set for 200m will have a 150m POI, who knows. Anyways, if OP wants a post-apocalyptic novel with realism, but doesn't mind some amateur writing, then perhaps Living amongst the Dead might be the book he's looking for. Just try to ignore the words in all-caps, I guess.

Are y ou the guy who wrote it and posted about it here? Y ou could let people know that you are a shill at least.

i was going to say this
or maybe the book of dave, which it influenced

I love RW but OP was asking for ones without supernatural horror elements. RW's full of portentous nursery rhymes, magic black dogs and psychic orgies.

>Riddley Walker
Second.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou]

Yup, that's me. OP is on the hunt for a realistic post-apocalyptic book, and that's what I wrote. At least I was still honest about it being somewhat amateurishly written, and never referred to the author (me) in the third person unlike that one dude who said "So what if I smoke pot that probably just makes him a better writer". I just didn't bother stating that I'm the author. Can't blame me for mentioning my book in a thread in which it is clearly quite relavent, but sadly no, I've not yet gotten around to making that 2nd Edition with the all-caps words changed to italics. My decision to use both italics and caps wherever I seen them fit was clearly a bad decision, but live and learn.

True, user, but I'd say that they are all subjectively experienced and therefore fall into the realm of (para)psychology, rather than the supernatural.

Except for the psychic mutant retards at the end.

Kek. Even the psychic mutant retards. Future iron age mind space.