New Study Confirms That the Future of Data Storage Is in DNA

futurism.com/4-the-future-of-data-storage-is-in-the-dna-new-study-confirms/

>Erlich and Zielinski stored six files into 72,000 DNA strands, each 200 bases long. The files included a full computer operating system, a 1895 French film, an Amazon gift card, a computer virus, a Pioneer plaque, and a study by information theorist Claude Shannon.

Does anyone know what the fuck operating system they're referring to? I looked all over and couldn't find which one in particular it was.

((((((confirms))))))

The OS was Kolibri. It's in the supplementals (would it kill you people to read the damned paper)?

Also, stop going to garbage websites like futurism.com.

DNA makes for terrible data storage

>slow to read
>has to be read by biological mechanism
>decays over time, and even wuicker than conventional storage

The only thing it has going for it is it's high potential data density, but by the time we can actually make DNA data storage work well enough to use other, more conventional or at least electrical methods will be there too

What is are the bases translated into? Binary/hexadecimal/??

When will we get blobs of meat to store DNA on?

>forgetting he is made of DNA

>New Study Confirms That
Dropped.

Not to mention how much mutations will corrupt the data. This could be an advantage however, if we can create an environment that selects for "useful" data, whatever that means.

>Human beings are biological computers
>Humans gave birth to computers
>Humans and Computers are slowly trying to merge.

Now that we know the truth. What is the universe's next step in its master plan?

>whatever that means
You're just talking about shit you know nothing about, stfu

Make AI robots we can fuck and finally stop reproduction completely to doom our species.

>Not adding an artificial womb to your robofu.

Babies need to be grown in birth factories under control, not carried around and endangered with their mothers.

Babby is safer and momma stays sexy.

DNA has its own data redundancy and replication system. It is pretty resilient to mutations. That's why it takes several thousands of years for meaningful evolution to happen. I don't think mankind has ever achieved this level of data persistency, let alone with this amount of data or even information.

I've read that article the day it came out. Apparently, DNA lasts for thousands of years, and can be easily repaired the same way it automatically does in your body today (go watch the latest kurzgesagt video).
Problem is, it is currently very expensive and slow to read from. The price will obv drop exponentioally, but there are no predictions about the speeds increasing. So right now it can only replace seldom used servers (it can store a fucking huge amount of data, zetabytes in a single container)

Erlich presented this work to my research group at Columbia while this was in submission. It's certainly interesting, but, as I recall, it's incredibly expensive in terms of both time and money in order to `write' data. This sort of storage is also strictly read-only.

As others have pointed out, stop getting your information from pop sci magazines. Read the actual papers.

Are people now coming to realize that God coded DNA?

Or do you still think you're monkeys?

>computer virus encoded in DNA

now this is some next level inception shit lads.

>whatever that means
just means that you are retarded, user.

Yes, and it works just fine for a living being. The information in the DNA can be read of relatively slowly when building cells etc, whereas in a computer you would want near instant access to data, which DNA simply cannot provide

monkeys have DNA too tho boyo

>Have sex with wife
>Film it and put it on internet
>She gets pregnant
>Use CRISPR to store html link to video in the baby that was being made in the video
>???

>confirms

Jeez, it was confirmed in the 80's already :---)

Wtf? So if you inpregnated someone with that DNA what would happen? Can you look at the babies traits and reverse engineer the information?

>impregnating a human with non-human DNA

Only way it would work would be if you out the information in some unused part of the DNA, or one which you program such as not to build any enzymes etc.

That way you could possibly store some information in someones genetic lineage, although I'm not sure how it would fare when e.g. reshuffled after conception (assuming we're talking about human here and not a virus or something that doesn't mix DNA)

wow

is this the future we are choosing?

Speaking frankly, Veeky Forums, is it just me, or do non biofags not know what they're missing?

The near future is going to be a biochem/gene biology market, after the advent of CRISPR. Gene editing is crazy, and amazing shit.

>Cut and paste
>Amazing
You sure are easy to excite aren't you?

'yes'

I'm quite easy to excite when it comes to the capability to design organisms based first on traits that are already coded for (stealing DNA from other organisms and cutting and pasting) or synthesizing whole sequences to create life out of only basic strands.

There's a certain efficiency that natural selection pressures work towards that is hard to replicate, given that there are few things that truly mechanically reproduce by themselves that can be created by man. In light of that, you might be able to see actual machines being biologically crafted, or even used in computers. In the more near term, valuable commodities that are just grown and farmed like plants or animals, such as ivory or leather by these genetically modified organisms. You already see similar chemical production now, such as in the harvesting of insulin from genetically modified bacteria.

It's a matter of testing and perfecting, getting a balance right. But not much is technically 'impossible' in this new frontier.