Trump’s budget calls for seismic disruption in medical and science research

washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/trumps-budget-would-slash-scientific-and-medical-research/2017/03/15/d3261f98-0998-11e7-a15f-a58d4a988474_story.html

President Trump’s budget calls for a seismic disruption in government-funded medical and scientific research. The cuts are deep and broad.

They also go beyond what many political observers expected. Trump had made clear that he would target the Environmental Protection Agency, but the budget blueprint calls for a startling downsizing of agencies that historically have received steady bipartisan support. The National Institutes of Health, for example, would be cut by nearly $6 billion, about a fifth of the NIH budget.

The shock waves of this blueprint will be felt far beyond the walls of government bureaucracies. The scientific endeavor across America depends to a large degree on competitive grants distributed by federal agencies that face dramatic budget cuts. NIH uses only about 10 percent of its $30 billion budget for in-house studies; more than 80 percent goes to some 300,000 outside researchers.

yeah, its ugly

I know at least one professor of chemistry who relies heavily on NIH and NSF grants and who consistently votes Republican.

I hope he fucked himself over; of course I would feel bad for his students and post-docs.

This is a bit troubling. Pretty much every school doing biology research relies heavily on NIH grants. Why is he doing this?

time to trim some of the fat. a good chunk of the """research""" that gets funded should have never gotten any money to begin with.

>t. not actually a researcher

who are you quoting? what are you researching?

Good. Theres dozens of agencies and organizations made just to siphon money and its time that basically three quarters of the government gets deleted.

I'm researching mitochondrial diseases affecting the mitoribosomes.

hopefully not for much longer.

Yea that evil, evil NIH and EPA, truly they are a blight on the American people.

I can see why trumps shills would want them out of the way but anyone else who says shit like this is truly brainwashed. I'd step back from the internet for a long time if I were you.

Yet he's just putting that money into the M-IC.

Well, no, because I just took a position at Duke working on RNA drugs.

What exactly is your problem with my research, anyways? I don't go to your job and tell you it's worthless.

What do you do, anyways?

Because he's stupid. Didn't you see him at all in the 18 months before the election?

i'm doing similarly useless research in a dying field to boot (combustion.) my problem is that yours, and my project, are one of the many that should have not been funded.

So if someone stupid can be a billionaire and the president of the most powerful country on earth then what are you? Completely brainless?

I thought Veeky Forums loved this guy
this is weird to read on Veeky Forums

Are you seriously suggesting that you want to lose your job because the meme emperor decided on a whim that it's worthless?

Are you on crack?

Meanwhile let's give tax breaks to billionaires and cut massive amounts of funding from critical scientific institutions.

It's almost like he wants this country's already declining advantage in the sciences to be decreased even further. Meanwhile, China has confidence its scientists and its scientific organizations, and many of their politicians have degrees in STEM. We are fucked in the long term because of these stupid ass decisions. I mean NIH? For fuck's sake, of all the things to cut funding from you choose NIH, fucking absurd.

i'm going to lose my job anyway. do you honestly expect combustion research to exist in any meaningful capacity in 10 to 20 years from now? if the project wasn't funded at least i would move earlier.

It is a good fucking thing Congress controls the actual purse of the United States and gets to decide what gets funded and what doesn't.

Holy shit, Trump.

I mean, do I really need to argue that wealth doesn't necessarily correlate to intelligence? Does that not register with you? Or that the skills involved in of real-estate don't translate directly to running a government? You drooling fucking degenerate.

For the record trump didn't create all that wealth with only his wit. Trump came from wealth, most people don't get a million dollars startup and a giant list of contacts right off the bat.

Anyone can get rich if that is all you're interested in, if you don't give a shit of who you fuck up.
And a fuck rich daddy doesn't hurt.

Haven't really seen support for him outside of /pol/ and even then it's all about meme magic and getting the great god Kek to troll the world.

Maybe it's time to just prepare for a future not in the U.S.? China has some serious flaws regarding science and research, but it's started to combat those issues. Given that the U.S. GDP will be dwarfed by China's within a decade, maybe the best answer is just for scientists to head over to another country.

That's your problem. Most of us actually enjoy our research and the biomedical research pays for itself by improving the public health.

Look at the post and poster count. There's an outspoken dipshit on here that always makes anti Trump threads and keeps bumping them. He keeps using the same images too.

go back to /pol/, rebcunt

NIH is one of the most important scientific research bodies in the world. This is unbelievable that he could even suggest cutting their already stagnant budget. They need MORE funding, not less.

Well I agree with him. Just thought he'd be buried under memes or ignored

What skills do you possess then? Other than masterful shitposting and being a living example of the Dunning Kruger effect.

Also, why do you not come from wealth? Is it because your parents were as daft as you? Fact is that even if you were given a million you would just squander it.

My condolences.

>attacks him with strawmen and genetic fallacies
what the fuck sci

Likewise

Might want to look up the definitions of words you throw around.

oh noes he's going to cut seismically! if you still pay attention to things like this you're a sucker.

Why the hell do you creeps get so butt-flustered when people criticize Trump even a teensy bit? You realize Trump is not your friend, right? You never met him and he doesn't know you. He's not part of your family, nor do you owe him anything. If anything HE owes YOU. He's a civil servant.
He's supposed to be helping the country not cutting NIH funding for no good reason.

>What skills do you possess then?

The difference is I'm not trying to run the free world.

Anyone who would defend cuts to the NIH, or the EPA and doesn't happen to an energy executive, is truly brainwashed or retarded. I feel pity for you. :[

I'm a sucker for caring about the fact that he's cutting funding to the institution that funds my research? Do you even think before typing? What else should I care about?

lol, who posts shit like this? Can you post a picture?! Im genuinely interested if being this retarded actually shows on the face, like could I tell from seeing you on the street.

I get butt-flustered by shit threads that lead to nothing but shitposting. Take this to /pol/ where it belongs.

Investment in research has the highest return value in a long term than any possible government spending. While military is known to be a rather wasteful field since all military equipment ages fast and requires extensive maintenance even without much use. Also, scientists don't care that much where to do research. If China becomes a viable alternative to States, than brains will leak out of this country rather fast.

he hasn't cut anything. calm your vagina user.

>Thread about cutting funding to NIH, a critical scientific institution
>doesn't belong on Veeky Forums

Here's an idea, since you clearly don't want to discuss the topic at hand, how about you get back to and let us discuss this?

post in full sentences you poo

>The difference is I'm not trying to run the free world.
So you're less skilled than him just as I originally claimed. Gotcha.

Because they're literally just not-SJWs
Live long enough to see themselves become the villain and all that.

>tries to mock someone without committing to something substantive so that there isn't something for them to rebutt
KOK

Your either absurdly retarded or an outright shill if you believe this thread belongs here.

Ya dude, don't worry. Who cares what the president wants to do. Surely it cant have an effect on us.

The fact that he is trying is alarming enough. This isn't a joke. He doesn't seem to be taking the budget very seriously.

t. everyone I disagree with is a shill

I originally asked for his qualification since he considers Trump to be stupid. He failed to provide any.

Yeesh, when you were a kid did you ever believe you would grow up to be a literal caricature of a bad person?

it's only alarming to the perpetually alarmed

I haven't been alarmed by one single thing Trump has done until now, because it hasn't threatened to affect me. But if he cuts funding to the NIH, it would change the entire playing field for biologists. It's easy for you to be calm when it's not your livelihood at stake.

Actually, you 'responded' in the very post where you posed the question, before he even got a chance to list any. Just started making shit up willy nilly and attribute those things to him

Don't pretend like there was any answer he could have given that would have been satisfactory either way you transparent motherfucker

What's your qualification? That you can fit 14 hot dogs in your mouth at once?

Still waiting for your qualifications.

I learned from the best (your mother.)

How much is the NSF getting cut?

Hopefully, all of it.

Still waiting for you to kill yourself

>being this much of a trump supporter you have to convince yourself his stupid ideas are great
What does it feel like to be an right wing "SJW" user?

>the biomedical research pays for itself by improving the public health.
Only sometimes, even when it's competent and honest, which most of the time it isn't.

Haven't you heard? Public health is declining. Medical costs are skyrocketing, and yet people are getting worse overall outcomes. Garbage research is a big part of it, sending out wrong and misleading results.

The problem is that being a researcher has been made too attractive for mediocre men. You want people doing science who are driven by curiosity, not by something petty like status of position or having a stable income. There's nothing more pathetic or counterproductive, or less worthy of public funding, than a scientific researcher who just wants to keep their job.

We can pay less and get better results, by not crowding the field with clockpunchers and backstabbers.

>Your

Mediocre? Do you have any idea how competitive research is? Have you even published a single paper? Or are you just saying whatever you think sounds plausible and hoping it flies?

>the prolife candidate cuts science funding
>the global warming denier candidate cuts science funding
>the religious candidate cuts science funding

Huh, what a surprise

This will end like every republican era does
- massive military buildup
- huge tax cuts for the 1%
- screw the bottom 80%
- let Wall St. run wild, feeding frenzy ends in a crash

gop is the spend & crash party

>Mediocre? Do you have any idea how competitive research is?
Sure, it's competitive in a sense, but it's not a fair or honest competition, because of all the small men willing to throw out the meaning of it all to win.

Like this:
>Have you even published a single paper?
It's all about the count of published papers, and the prestige of the journals. Cranking out garbage, trying to make it sound impressive.

Scientific research isn't supposed to be a competition. How could anyone who views it as such be anything else but a mediocrity? It's a cooperative endeavor, and managing to shoehorning yourself in where you don't belong isn't winning, it's being a nuisance.

>that feel when you like a conservative approach to government
>everytime it gets in there is a retard at the helm of it who sparks massive social issues, wastes science budgets on pointless wars, and gives the whole spectrum quadrant a bad name

I genuinely understand the middle left for this reason, they as well have to suffer under the stupidity of reasonable, arguably fair, sustainable policies being hijacked by retards who are in it for themselves.
The right goes from "support people who work hard" to "rich get richer, poor get poorer, time to reinstate feudalism by removing all means of class transition", and the left goes from "lets work together to help each other to be better" to "He dindu nuthing, communism time you white male bigots".

This is why I took STEM, I can't handle public opinion.

>/pol/
>Veeky Forums
Its called a containment board for a reason

>Washington post
I see your source has a completely unblemished record of unbiased reporting on the subject. Let's take it as fact.
Good. Get private funding. Either find people that believe in what you're researching enough to invest in the research, or find something to research that people will fund. Government research is way too politicized and unaccountable. I want shareholders to be breathing down the neck of researchers so they actually have accountability.
SpaceX vs. NASA
UPS vs. Postal Service
Private Schools vs. Public
Hollywood vs. FCC
Private enterprise is almost universally more efficient and innovative than some twat suckling off the government tit and sending lobbyists to beg for more funding. Unless you think the fucking DMV is an atmosphere conducive to scientific progress, you shouldn't see a problem here.

>SpaceX vs. NASA
You mean SpaceX that's basing their around cold war technology that was entirely state funded before being defunded?

Nigger open your eyes SpaceX is as capitalism research as you can get - there is barely any innovation and just reusing shit while trying to cut costs.

He's clearly just LARPing.

>I want shareholders to be breathing down the neck of researchers
So you like politicized researchers after all.

Also not every business works better privatized.
For-profit schools vs non-profit universities.
Private jails vs government jails.

Yeah, let's ignore NASA's head start of half a century and trillions of government dollars.
Who is developing AI? IBM. Who is developing power grids and more efficient and cheap sources? The EPA? Nope, they sit around all day and pretend Miami is underwater. GE actually does the work. Did the FDA develop CRISPR? Who developed 3D printers? Oh, some company who saw the potential for the idea. Not some government lackey.

Shareholders aren't politicized, do you have any clue what you're talking about? A shareholder doesn't vote along party lines or try to establish laws or regulations. They are just concerned with profit, and the only way to get profit on the open market is to get results. If you want results, you should favor private enterprise.

>Yeah, let's ignore NASA's head start of half a century and trillions of government dollars.
Private businesses existed almost as long as NASA did. NASA got defunded into pennies and after how many years only did SpaceX pick up the slack starting precisely from the point where NASA left and using Russian rocket technology?

Now tell me who developed fission technology, or the internet. Surely some priva... oh.

As it shows the private companies haven't made any single breakthrough, just refining on an existing idea or promises. We would probably have several working fusion reactors if the public funding was anywhere near usual cold war levels.

>Argument from authority
Yeah, not gonna convince anyone.
>Haha what the fuck are you talking about, Copernicus? The sun clearly goes around the Earth, dumbass. Have you even writen a single book about heavenly bodies? The entire scholarly community is in agreement that you're wrong.

That's not argument from authority dumbass. That's asking if you actually had any contact with research to see for yourself and not spout stupid shit.

You should have chosen to research something meaningful and profitable then, instead of deciding to scratch your intellectual itch at taxpayers expense, fucking faggot biologist

>private companies haven't made any single breakthrough
Flight
The telephone
Audio recording
Photography
Light bulbs
Assembly line
Combustion engine
Printing press
99% of all human advancement.

Wow, you went from argument from authority down to 3rd grade name-calling pretty quickly.
Yes, when you devalue an opinion or belief by saying the person making it hasnt even published any papers, you're making an argument from authority.

Eh, fair enough I stand corrected

>things that didn't require any funding and happened before government ever got into the idea of funding science
Protip: a single person in garage isn't a private company run for profit.

you guys..
you know there's no reason nasa can't contract spacex to make certain shit for them while nasa makes other shit, then nasa assembles it all and fires it off, right? I mean so long as the old fucks can get over themselves and their politics and let things happen

Isn't that like the ideal outcome? NASA wants to plan a mission to europa. NASA goes, elon pls maek rocket 2 europa. NASA can give them specifications, NASA does the training and constructs the crew capsule or whatever. Or mabe the contract is done by bid.
why is it always one or the other with you faggots?

>Yes, when you devalue an opinion or belief by saying the person making it hasnt even published any papers, you're making an argument from authority.
No, he is asking you whether you have ever had any experience in the field as your argument essentially boils down to saying that research isn't competitive without having any proof.

And no randomly calling you a fucktard doesn't affect the quality of the argument, nor is it supposed to be the central point of it.

If you're not sacrifying a better payed career in the private sector to contribute to research, then you're just a public resources leech

>do you have any clue what you're talking about?
Do you? The term "politics" applies to more than governments.

Researchers under the control of shareholders know they can only deliver "results" their shareholders will like. They'll never discover anything that undermines the bottom line. Look at the smoking studies funded by Phillip Morris. That's politics.

>Who is developing AI? IBM.
And who originally developed the basic techniques that IBM uses, long before anyone realized there was big money in it?

God forbid someone in academia have a conservative worldview

That's because this board, like most of them these days, is full of redditors like you. That, and astroturfing shills.

Why does society treat researchers like garbage?
>highly educated
>highly skilled
>highly productive
>in a high pressure environment
yet the jobs are
>low status
>low pay
>low respect

So you're saying those in the private sector are public resource leeches?

>low hanging fruit

No where near as advanced as the integrated circuit, spaceships, nuclear energy, LHC, internet, GPS.

Basically, think of any technology that would require billions of dollars in R&D and you'd realize that without government intervention, they would be impossible by private companies.

>Veeky Forums
>liking Trump
pick one. We are not the uneducated morons of /pol/

Fuck drumpf can't the UN just dispose of him or something? It's literally 2017 there's no way we can let one clown in one country to ruin it for EVERYONE.

There are STILL people defending him? Even some Califag sharing his girlfriend with a nigger is less KEKED than you now. holy fuck

I'm mostly Veeky Forums and /g/ but I love Trump simply because he triggers the sjw's

You ivory tower intellectuals must not lose touch with the world of industrial growth and hard currency. It is all very well and good to pursue these high-minded scientific theories, but research grants are expensive and you must justify your existence by providing not only knowledge, but concrete and profitable applications as well.

There's a difference between enjoying the media outrage of the elections that Trump caused and actually supporting politics like this. Example: I like watching the liberal chimpout but I'm obviously not going to support cuts like this or any kind of his retarded conservative policies. The way you're phrasing your post implies that you don't give a fuck about his economic policies and care more about pissing off SJWs.

>/pol/
>uneducated morons
How long have you been on this site, pray tell?

Thanks Trump for making us the rest of the world GREAT again ;)
(Nothing personal, USA)

Because the man is ignorant as fuck. He thinks giving control to the private sector is the answer to everything but fails to realize that the government is one of the biggest funders of innovation because they're willing to take chances on shit big businesses wouldn't. Prime examples being nuclear research and space aeronautics.

Also Trump and the Republicans are scared bitches who will do everything in their power not to touch the two biggest offenders of the national debt. Those being defense and social security.

Trump was born a fucking millionaire. People need to stop giving him credit for what his father did, you did not elect Fred Trump, you elected his fucking spoiled son Donald Trump, the guy gives zero fucks about the struggles of the common man, the guy who dropped 30 million on a yacht from the prince of Saudi Arabia, the who married/ had children with two foreign super models and a domestic super model.

He is rich "Chad" in sheep's clothing.

No, Trump was meme used to piss off the SJWs. He was never "our guy", the fact a serious number of people actually took this fucking meme/ guy seriously is a sign of how fucked our state of society is both online and offline.

Yeah Hillary was a corrupt bitch but that doesn't stop Trump from being spoiled business man who hired jews to handle his money. The right answer to the election was to either pick Bernie or keep Obama in long enough to get new decent candidates on the Democrat and Republican side. But because we're a bunch of short sided idiots we thought the only answers available to us was one or the other.

Notice how none of the anti-Trumpers can articulate a single argument against him.

It really is envy.

>The post above
>The irony
kek'd