Why is French food so pretentious? Does anyone there actually eat normal food?

Why is French food so pretentious? Does anyone there actually eat normal food?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hAls3xmKgjc
youtube.com/watch?v=OLUkj1At-GQ
youtube.com/watch?v=vVwcF2Iur1s
mensjournal.com/expert-advice/10-surprisingly-dangerous-cities-20140324/marseille-france
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

no, they subsist entierly on frogs, baguettes and champagne
they're all either painters, mimes or members of a resistance movement of some kind
they all wear the same hat and say oui oui a lot

>or members of a resistance movement of some kind

To understand French food we need to take a look into history of why French cuisine became to many de facto "high class". It all begins in the wake of the French Revolution.

During that time period, and throughout history, high class independent eating establishments were uncommon. The modern restaurant was not yet a thing. This was because the populous was unable to support such establishments. Most chefs worked for the nobility and other men/women of power. After most of these folks died many chefs found themselves unemployed which forced them to adapt. This came in the form of a change in French cuisine. Changing it in such a way as to try and adapt it to the general populous. This is actually where modern practices of line chefs come from as well. The adaptation gave birth to the first few restaurants in Paris, which then spread.

So really the answer is because French people killed all their nobility and forced chefs to start serving food to any Tom, Dick, or Harry who wanted it. Modern kitchen running and modern resturaunts were both given birth in post revolution France as a direct consequence of the trying times.

What is that, OP? I must know.

looks like stacked bacon sprinkled with nachos and spring onion

Oh I thought it was stacked fried potato slices.

Pommes anna, thinly sliced potatoes slowly braised in stock and butter then either pan fried or roasted for the colour.

ok, but why the doritos?
is french cuisine secretely just fancy gamer food?
is all champagne secretely just a different flavor of mountain dew?

Haha, that is just the top potato slices im sure.
hmm who knows though you could be on to something.

French here, this is a misconception that come from the fact (I think) that strangers only ever eat at a fancy "french" restaurant in their country or in tourist restaurants in France.

In both case it is not representative of french food as for me, real french food is the one that you cook at home or that is made in an popular restaurant.

Fancy french food is, indeed, really pretentious and really different from what I consider to be real french cuisine.

the word you should be using is 'populace'

A friend of mine visited France once. From the way he talks everyone subsists on bread, cheese, sausage, wine, and marijuana that is all much cheaper and yet much higher quality than their equivalents in the USA. How accurate is that?

Thanks buddy. I'm a bit retarded.

>OP and half of this thread

>take a bag of doritos
>stack them on mashed potatoes in a $900 pan
>sprinkle chives on top
>wa la!
>that will be $70 plus obligatory 30% tip

Well for people over 40 if they don't have their daily baguette and red wine it's the end of the world. A good meal without cheese is generally frowned upon. For sausages, not so much, rather in Germany. It's true that most food seems to be higher quality than in the US but I always thought it was way more pricy (I was extremly surprised at how low food prices are in Germany) than in the US, never went there tho, so I'm not really sure.

>normal
You mean normal for ameraca?

I think it's at least true abkht bread. Good bread is expensive as shit in the US. Plus you have to track down a real baker, a dying profession around here, to even find it. Some grocery stores have decent bakeries in them, but again the good stuff is usually pretty expensive. I can get semi-decent baguettes for 3$ each ar my grocery store, and that's the best deal I've found.

>Some grocery stores have decent bakeries in them
Off the top of my head I can think of exactly one decent bakery inside a grocery store and that's Eataly which isn't really a normal grocery store.

Everyone else either uses delivered bread (which is usually close to a day old by the time the customer picks it up) or that horrible par-baked bread which maybe seems like a huge improvement over wonder bread but is nothing at all like real bread.

Yeah, thinking about that I would say that higher quality stuff are cheaper than in the US because almost everyone buy it here. But junk food, fast food or soda are way more pricier. A baguette fresh from the day from a baker (unless you're in Paris) would usually cost between 1 and 1.50$.

that sounds so good

I think it's the same way in most of europe
in poland poorfags rarely eat at mcdonalds and other fast food places because you can get decent ingredients fairly cheap in compariosn

i dont think thats potatoes anna cuz i googled recipes and it looks different

its some other kind potato dish

youtube.com/watch?v=hAls3xmKgjc

this is closer since it's stacked

youtube.com/watch?v=OLUkj1At-GQ

youtube.com/watch?v=vVwcF2Iur1s

this video is better

Incorrect. The French didn't kill all their nobility: the death toll amongst the nobility was in the hundreds (Sewell puts it at around 800) rather than the thousands, whilst even the most conservative estimates state that there were some 20,000 noble families in France at the time of the revolution.

Of course, many of these families were relatively impoverished/irrelevant, but they were nonetheless noble.

Though the birth of the restaurant did indeed occur in France after the revolution, the precursor of what we think of today as "haute cuisine" came nonetheless from the kitchens of the wealthy and the bourgeois, as the nobility, statesmen and the wealthiest of the new capitalists held dinner and entertained in their own homes on the back of private chefs: the first proper exponent of what we'd legitimately recognize as modern French gastronomy, Marie-Antoine Carême, actually worked as chef to Talleyrand, foreign minister and perpetual survivor from the Bourbon era to the July Monarchy. When Brillat-Savarin published his handbook of gastronomy in the 1820s, most of what he referred to pertained to private entertaining; indeed, the other competing figure as the founder of French gastronomy, Grimod de La Reynière, despite having practically invented restaurant criticism, can nonetheless be taken as a perfect example of the haute cuisine's predilection for the houses of individuals rather than establishments open to the public.

This would only change towards the end of the century, where the combined works of César Ritz and his chef, Auguste Escoffier, managed to make the notion of public eating fashionable within the nobility and the bourgeois classes. Though the restaurant came of age in the Napoleonic period, it was not till the late 19th century that it was to be the shining light at the head of the country's gastronomy.

Why can those frechies just eat burgers and fries like the rest of us?
Why does everything have to be about quality, paying attention to details, years of experimenting?
God damn, snail eaters.

because they need to apologize for being white

stacked potatofries with scallottes and thyme.

It's amazing how this image skillfully removes all but two or three of the worst states in the US.

what food is that in the pic? I want to eat it

pretentious French food is great though
those potatoes are like that for delicious reasons

>scallottes

congratulations on spelling scallops so wrong that your comment is the only result on google

he's not making this up

comedy gold

>scallops
Might want to recheck who the actual retard is, user.

BAAHHHHAaaa the French!!

>It's a coastfag who thinks he's relevant at anything but taking the nukes first episode

Pretentious is relative.

There are more simple French foods, but you don't see much of them because they have already been adapted into American culture (various cheeses, creams, simpler pastries and breads).

What's the problem with a pretentious meal if you are trying to, say, make an outing with work associates, take someone you enjoy out for a enjoyable afternoon, or any event where expedience, convenience, and solidarity are the most immediate factors at hand?

>be le me anno domini 2015
>visit La Ville Lumière
>for 20€ I can buy
>bottle of wine
>saucisson log
>sizable block of Essex Comté
>fresh baguette
>sit on the grass overlooking Seine river with boyfriend
>inthismomentiameuphoric.jpg
>come back to Burgerland
>visit a proclaimed 'authentic French bistro' with boyfriend
>portions are laughably small and unappetizing
>Australian vino
>soggy baguettes
>cold cuts look like they came from Three Mile Island
>Ask how much it would cost
>they're asking nearly 35 USD EACH
>notre visage quand

Americans think anything beyond frozen pizza is 'pretentious'.

I am american and my people are getting so retarded that I can no longer state my case.
You're right. So is captcha.

...getting...

t. never been to france

Are*

Sorry.

Sexelence

the first strike will be on the icbm silos in flyover land

>desperate seattle cletus just cant handle the truth

Looks more like dauphinoise potatoes than anything else.

After they've been squished and set into layers, you can pan fry your giant block of garlicky potatoes.

Wrong. Those will be empty as soon as norad detects launches and incoming, which will be in plenty of time for us to have launched counterstrikes to blow the world back to the stone age. On the bright side, the millennials and genxers will immediately die from internet withdrawal.

>Rosebud. Yes! Rosebud frozen peas. Full of country goodness and green peaness.
>Wait! That's terrible! I quit!
>Just a handful for the road. Oh, What luck! There's a french fry stuck in my beard!

I think you meant
>Thomas, Richard and Enzo

they may or may not be empty when the first wave hits but they'll be hit, one way or another

the entire midwest will be glowing for centuries but on the bright side all midwestern food especially the cheese will be edible when the vulcans land and find an empty planet

>Boyfriend
Sure user.

Your states are absolute garbage. Quit with this retarded shit

Oh shit, I meant to say 'girlfriend.'

Better?

>weeb
2d girls can't be girlfriends.

TLDNR

>Why is French food so pretentious?

You mean Falafels & Kebabs? Cuz that's all I see on the streets of Marseille nowadays.

No one who posts on Veeky Forums has a relationship of any kind.

but I'm not dating a 2d girl, I'm dating a 3d homo

>Marseille

> Deliberately picks french city with 40% muslim population

Of course you'd see street stall kebabs everywhere, fucking french surrender monkey.

Im a legs person. Yumm

Oh... you mean THIS Marseille? With a nearly 45% Muslim popluation?

mensjournal.com/expert-advice/10-surprisingly-dangerous-cities-20140324/marseille-france

OMELETTE DU FROMAGE

Fuck you 'mericans always picking on Marseille.

It's not like you Ameicans don't have Tijuana and Juarez with all your gang killings & drug smuggling.

>It's not like you Ameicans don't have Tijuana and Juarez with all your gang killings & drug smuggling.

> Tijuana
> Juarez
> 'American cities'

Somebody failed their french GED...

Amazing meme, mind if I use this image to win Internet arguments?

user, can you name the continent that Tijuana and Juarez are located on?

>french city with 40% muslim population

I thought this was a meme...

then stupid wikipedia proved me wrong. :`(

Deal with it... you're basically "North Mexico" anyways. lol

Trump's doing jack shit to stop your open fuckin borders.

The large majority of illegals now are people that overstay their visas and this dude is talking about spending billions on a wall. Still waiting for that visa reform. Any day now.

>backpedaling

Better flown over then flown into by Abdul

Europe is dying and US doesn’t even know

Oh it's real alright. Fucking white people are just too cowardly to even speak up about it.

germany:
>supermarketfood and basics = cheapest of all developed countries
>delicacies,high quality stuff in general = expensive/very hard to find/even harder to find at affordable prices
France:
>supermarketfood and basics = higher price but often better choices and quality
>delicacies,high quality stuff in general = easy to find, moderately priced
Italy:
>im fucking jealous, why does everything taste great in italy?
>wine,fish,vegetables/fruit: best quality in europe, sure you can find some stuff on an equal level in the german/french countryside if you have connections, but goddamn every shitty italian supermarket has mindblowingly good produce
britain/us:
>basics = bad quality and expensive
>delicacies = difficult to find and expensive

>Some grocery stores have decent bakeries in them
it will be hot and fresh but still made from premixed weird floor concoction with a lot of things besides floor/salt/yeast to hide the inability of low-protein cheapo floor dough to rise properly...

Gotta buy that pan back somehow.

Why is OP so retarded? Doesn't he know that a French restaurant outside of France would only serve the "fanciest" shit?

Hes a moron, used to ameriburgergers, how would he know otherwise?
Poor faggy, he will die being ignorant.

Shit, I better dump my girlfriend.

I agree with all except i'd say that in the US you can find some cheap decent produce depending on where you are.

Fucking Italy though.

Plus even regular french food is coded "fancy" to non-french people. Like, a baguette is literally just a loaf of bread. Everyone eats bread (doesn't help that to Americans any bread that's not spongy factory-baked shit is coded fancy)

Someone did it on veekyforums too.

That's not how it works, you will just cease to exist.

>No further action required on your part

>he thinks there's such a thing as "veekyforums"
not sure if retarded, or the veekyforums guy

but...it exists. It shows up on google, search it yourself.

>guys it's totally on google! click my scraper "site" and give me ad revenue!
Have you considered a nice tall glass of bleach?

>not using adblock
what are you gay

>hey guys I'll just pretend to be a snarky tech-savvy epic 4channer, they won't even suspect
>please click on my "forum"
Bleach. Drink it. Now.

there are some guys on veeky right now having a similar exchange, funnily enough.

>members of a resistance movement of some kind
>french
>resistance
You're not particularly familiar with WW2 history are you?
(the french resistance offered next to no resistance and for all intents and purposes was only an entity on paper)

>5138▶
>File: frog_legs.jpg (224 KB, 1550x1150)
Why don't the french sell boneless frog tendies?

Kill yourself Lloyd

>Lloyd
I am not familiar with this reference.

Oh yeah 2 dollars for a loaf of bread is SOOO expensive
*rolls eyes*

Yes you are you fucking british sperglord choke on a million dicks and die.

I'm an american sperglord.

>itt: faggot who can't afford to eat good food projecting