What scientific theories scare you about the reality we possibly inhabit?

What scientific theories scare you about the reality we possibly inhabit?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It all means nothing and our universe will end up being a dark expanse with a single hydrogen atom in each Hubble volume.

>all matter coalesces into a 'final black hole' which eventually consumes the last subatomic particle in the universe and becomes a true singularity causing trillions of years to pass instantly and releasing all its mass as hawking radiation in a split second causing a new big bang and a new universe with everything exactly the same each time meaning we have no free will

Climate change.

Also, slightly unrelated, but there was a time when scientists worried that setting off an atomic bomb would ignite the entire atmosphere and lead to worldwide devastation. Obviously we know that isn't true now, but it's still scary to think about if it had been, because you know some absolute madman would have done it.

fuck off

Just wait until we can produce antimatter in any meaningful quantities and contain it for long periods of time. Sand niggers will be running around with little vials tossing them into buildings and shit with the same destructive force as a suicide bomber now.

Maybe I'm just an autist, but why would scientific facts scare anyone? I still remember learning about materialism as a child, I was blown away. "You mean we're just /meat/? Yet we can do and think all these incredible things? WOAH!"

>materialism is a scientific fact

wew

>intelligent aliens totally exist but no species ever meets another because FTL is impossible and most life is wiped out fairly quickly by various celestial events

>no intelligent living thing in the universe lives long enough to even learn how to deflect a large iron asteroid since all life-bearing worlds only develop a significant water content within the goldilocks zone over a geologically relevant time period by being bombarded with water-rich asteroids early in their planetary development, eventually a big iron one shows up and just fucks everyone's asshole 100% of the time because conditions

>human memory's neural encoding mechanisms rewrite memories each time they're accessed and nobody even remembers what "real reality" is like and this distortion of our biology versus the difficulty of figuring out the mechanics of a universe makes it impossible for us to ever do so, Discordianism is correct, Hail Eris

Unsure how scientific it really is, but the Dark Forest theorem scares me.

>The first axiom is that survival is the primary need of civilization. Therefore, civilizations will do whatever it takes to ensure their own survival.
>The second axiom is that civilizations always grow and expand, but the amount of matter and resources in the universe are finite

The universe is a dark forest where every civilization is a silent hunter. They desperately try to stay undetectable while hunting for other planets to colonize and threats to destroy.

This is wrong tho

how does making the same decision when given the exact same variables mean we don't have free will

Even though that thought being expressed is limited by the english language, I know exactly what you mean.

> Aliens don't care about other species.

Lul, you think Human SJW's are bad? Think Alien SJW's, they probably outlawed the majority of their alien species from eating plants, nevertheless killing another sentient organism.

I seriously wonder with what bullshit they are putting up with right now.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum

This honestly makes me uneasy when I think about it.

The fact that consciousness exists.

It's one of the most horrifying facts imaginable. So horrifying I prefer not to think about it too deeply.

>human memory's neural encoding mechanisms rewrite memories each time they're accessed and nobody even remembers what "real reality" is like and this distortion of our biology versus the difficulty of figuring out the mechanics of a universe makes it impossible for us to ever do so, Discordianism is correct, Hail Eris

I fucking feel this one
early onset Alzheimers sucks bros

It doesnt. Lack of free will means that somewhere out there, is a mathematical equation that can describe the entire history of the universe, start to finish, including your actions inside of said universe. Making the same decisions in a repeat universe that presents you with the same variables as before sure does fit that theoretical equation nicely.

Materialism is a disease

You're afraid of that dildo?

I'm afraid of the theory that once artificial intelligence is created, it will grow exponentially smarter within a short period, becoming the 'singularity.' At this point, we don't have sufficient moral value systems in place, and it acts in an antagonistic manner toward us.

I'm afraid that this will happen in our lifetime.

>and it acts in an antagonistic manner toward us.

Happened to me last night. She showed me a youtube of "funny kids" where a guy spanked his kid for knocking over the garbage and the mom is filming the kid trying to reason with his dad against spanking him. She thought it was funny and I told her it was sick and fucked up and that she wasn't evolved and the next day she told me we should just be friends. But we had make up sex and now its a somewhat somber silence between us.

Bitch still isn't evolved. Antagonism will continue until bitch evolves. EOF

For personal reason I think every science taking it to some extremes, that aren't as far as one may think.

The "inmoral" experiments are out there, people have done terrible things in the name of science, Mengele was advancing bactereologic warfare, Bastard caught like 3 or 4 virus.

His research it's really tame compared to what we do today.

Eliminate exposure to microwave band radiation. Wi-Fi, cell phones, etc.

The "early onset" is caused by your blood brain barrier becoming more permeable, reduced dendritic arborization, increased peroxynitrite generation, and chronic inflammation. Of course also diet, exercise, etc. Your main issue is excessive and abberant VGCC activation.

There's a reason people with alzheimers are found to have brains colonized by various types of fungi, as well.

The theory that if another Big Bang happens near our universe, the shockwave could destroy our universe.

>Another big bang theory happening elsewhere

Shit I didn't even think about this.