What are the seminal cyberpunk works in any medium besides Neuromancer, Snow Crash, Blade Runner, and the Matrix?

What are the seminal cyberpunk works in any medium besides Neuromancer, Snow Crash, Blade Runner, and the Matrix?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ld50mfW-BCM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Altered Carbon

Richard D James Album

Ghost in the shell

Kung Fury

I would put Phillip K Dick as cyberpunk for his anti authority, paranoia drug using books.
This for sure

if you like reddit, check out r/cyberpunk

ToR is real life cyberpunk. Hell we live in a cyberpunk world... the Internet, drug laws, real life dictators, terrorism, "democratic" governments that are mostly corporate oligarchies, and tech out the wazoo in developed nations
2814 for music. I personally like futurepop/ebm as well for music, also aggrotech, darkwave etc. Kinda cyberpunky, but im not sure if thats traditional "cyberpunk music" (is there such a thing?)

Deus Ex video game series is cyberpunk fer sure... i love it, still havent played the new one yet

Synners

Never mentioned here but essential.

Don't forget digital hardcore

if you're looking to pirate the new deus ex, I think it just got cracked

Came to say this. Also I saw the trailer for the new film yesterday. Looks okay but the original is still supreme. Oshii/Masamune/Kanno is a fucking posse.

Anime just feels like the perfect cyberpunk aesthetic. Maybe because it's Japanese, and the Japanese are already so fucking interesting? I don't know.

speaking of which

[Silence with a high pitched tone rolling in and then a scratch]
BOM BUH BOM BUH BOM

Kys, weeb.

>tfw so completely not offended i become magically transformed into a complete asshat

Why? Because the Japanese are interesting? They are. And cyberpunk is a good look there. Not trying to be a dick, but saying that the Japanese are interesting doesn't make me a weeb. Now to be fair, I really am a weeb. But I'm insulted that you inferred this from my post without giving due credit to the following:

a) Akira is cyberpunk
b) cyberpunk is cool
c) Japan is interesting

These are all good things. Nobody can be against these things.

In summa, my jimmies are so completely unruffled that they basically exerting their own centre of gravity. I can only tip my weeb fedora to you and wish you a very fine day and actually mean it. I do believe it's time for some cyberpunk anime. Carry on, gentlemen. Sorry for the interruption.

ta

Autechre

ghost in the shell is so fucking boring. Painful to finish.

Should I read it or watch the anime or what should I do? I don't know where to start with GitS?

Akira is cool, but not cyberpunk.

Meh, okay. What can I say? I liked it, warts and all. Having gotten epically triggered yesterday arguing about art I'm more inclined to shrug today. I mean, some episodes of the series are boring, and the film is very talky. I guess sometimes I'm just in the mood for that.

Last night I was looking at the movies on my computer, and they were all action films. Maybe it was the first time that I wasn't in the mood to watch action stuff. For times like that sometimes you want something more downbeat and talky. For what it's worth.

On the other hand...

Come on now. That's just talking reckless user. If I Google Akira + Cyberpunk are you really telling me I won't get any hits?

Since I'm being such a windbag cunt I figured I should at least share some art. Enjoy anons.

>Now to be fair, I really am a weeb
Who would've thought. I have fremdschämen just reading your posts. Please fuck off back to

Will do, but not before pointing out that you are being incredibly rude.

>user asks for seminal cyberpunk
>post seminal cyberpunk anime
>kys weeb
>ask why
>no reason, just fuck you

So I guess you like your cyberpunk canon small and xenophobic? That's cool, I guess. I like mine to be rich and expansive, and also to be able to talk about it in a polite and civilized manner.

good day sir

Deus ex
system shock

Philip K Dick books have a few traits shared with cyberpunk, but they tend to be in raygun gothic settings with noir protagonists. Can't recall any punks in Dick's futurey novels, except A Scanner Darkly, that barely counts.

Would recommend Burning Chrome over Neuromancer. As a.) it's had a bigger impact on the genre, and b.) it's carries over the best parts of Neuromancer without the space rastas.

Burning Chrome,the Diamond Age,and they did a number of novels set in the Shadowrun RPG universe. I read one and it was palatable enough.

Except for what you've already wrote, I'd say:

Books:Burning Chrome, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheeps(proto-cyberpunk),Mirrorshades

Anime:Ghost in the shell(expecially the 1995 movie), Akira, Cyber city oedo 808

Music: NERO, maybe there are other examples of cyberpunk music but only this group does videos in this style like for example youtube.com/watch?v=ld50mfW-BCM

Videogames: Deus Ex

Other than what I listed there are many works that aren't fully cyberpunk but in my opinion deserve a watch when you're more familiar with the genre

i fucking hate anime in general but when i do anime its for the cyberpunk

Snow Crash is the best of its genre that i have read desu.
Its kinda a shit genre.

Two shitty opinions in only one post

give me a better cyberpunk book
ill read it and probably hate it
Snow crash was at the very least well researched
and Neal had a better understanding of technology then most
he even said that he wrote more for coding than he did for the book.
That being said most cyberpunk shit is lel edgy trenchcoat fedora pipboy north american YA fiction

>most cyberpunk shit is lel edgy trenchcoat fedora pipboy north american YA fiction

What the hell?
Also in my opinion the part of Snowcrash inside the Metaverse is really good but the one outside it's some kind of weird parody...

yeah ill stand by that statement
really do give me something you enjoy
> Also in my opinion the part of Snowcrash inside the Metaverse is really good but the one outside it's some kind of weird parody...
yeah ill give you that it was wack outside the meta verse but I think that might have just been a larger critique of modern day america and its values.

Accellerando by Stross, not totally cyberpunk tho

thanks ill look into it

>not liking the space rastas

Cyberpunk was best in the 80s and 90s, before computers started to get really fast. It has a hacked-together low-res feel to it. We think of neon and pixel errors, and the reality turned out to be 1080p steaming. What we're getting is closer to Star Trek than Blade Runner.

It was informed by Tokyo and New York, their presentation of consumer culture (especially electronics and early computers). The thing is, I guess cyberpunk is more computer hobbyist. Some /g/entleman cobbles together a functioning internet device out of a bunch of discarded computers, installs Linux, and pokes through unindexed web addresses. Rather than some kid sitting at Starbucks, looking at Facebook and Pinterest on an iPad. Wi-Fi and pumpkin spice latte.

>Japan is interesting
Fucking weebs that think anime is real life