I just started Don Quixote and was laughing uncontrollably at the inn scene where he defends his armour from the men...

I just started Don Quixote and was laughing uncontrollably at the inn scene where he defends his armour from the men trying to water their mules. I'm in for quite a ride aren't I?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=4A35EEAEE3880943
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I never laugh withthe Quixote, i just felt sorry or what ever for him. I envy you op

>Don Quixote is funny meme.

Do people actually think this book is funny?

Since we're talking about books which we were told were funny but disappointed on I'm going with Catch 22 and anything Vonnegut wrote, I found some of their ideas interesting but they never really made me laugh.

It's hilarious. One of the funniest book I've ever read. Especially the first part is funny.

I'm about 80% through right now and honestly I'm finding it pretty boring. Don Quixote is surprisingly unlikeable IMO even though he occasionally busts out some pretty good burns. Apart from that nothing particularly interesting happens, though there are some very funny turns of phrase here and there. Call me a pleb but I look forward to finishing it. Hope you enjoy it more than l do OP

I was the same as you when I was about 80% through. The part with the duke and duchess is dreadfully boring. The first part is the funny one, if you didn't like it the last 20% won't change your opinion. I liked the first part so I look back on the book with positive memories.

well, Pleb.

Yes, it's absolutely hilarious, i almost couldnt finish it because i was laughing so hard constantly. Top tier comedic value, possibly the funniest book ever written.

I find the book to be an odd mix of completely hilarious and totally boring. I laugh out loud consistently, but there are stretches of ~100 pages which you really have to suffer through (mini novellas in the book completely mess up the pacing and are generally nothing special).

I have only read book one, I am reading book 2 soon. From what I understand, book 2 is less funny but has more direction than book 1.

It definitely has more direction, but I'd argue that this isn't a good thing. The novellas in between were actually pretty good in my opinion, although they did indeed kill the pacing.

there's much more to this book than meets the eye and it's pretty much the best thing ever
fucking pleb board

This

>Don Quixote is surprisingly unlikeable
How about you go back to goodreads?

I had the opposite experience. I had no idea Catch 22 was supposed to be funny. I didn't laugh (has a book ever actually made you laugh?) but I was smiling through a lot of it.

>there's much more to this book than meets the eye
elaborate

Candide. A lot of Terry Pratchett-books. Mostly Pratchett books actually. Reading Harry Potter now for my GFs sake, some pages make me smile. Lars Gustaffsons Tennisspelarna was also funny - they feed the manuscript of August Strindbergs Inferno to some Texan defense missile computer in order to try to "solve the mystery" about but it ends up giving the computer paranoia (just like the paranoia Strindberg experienced when he wrote Inferno).

Stephen King NEEDFUL THINGS had some funny moments too... I dunno, I actually laugh a lot at books. And plays. Even when I just read plays.
Not hysterical laughs though or anything like that

Yes, and they have for 400 years.

I was more amazed how fucking violent that scene seemed. I've forgot what he is beating them with but it sounded real fucking painful.
Also the scene where actually attacks some armed bodyguards of a noblewoman and actually risk killing someone and himself - I'm not even a moralfag, I've enjoyed American Psycho etc but for some reason those scenes put me off - I think it is because it is meant to be this "cute" and fun roleplaying thing, but it gets real and savage real fast

Got nothing against the guy's books but pratchett never did it for me with the humour. Douglas Adams was my man. Read them when I was younger though so who knows what they would do to me now I'm a cynical twat who can only enjoy irony.

I think he could be talking about all the meta-stuff, like when they hear there is someone else running around as Don Quixjote. Cervantes is actually making a reference to all the bootleg-versions of Don Quixjote that was around and spread like wildfire because there were no copyright laws back then.

I hope that's not all he means when says "more than meets the eye" because I was genuinely hoping to be enlightened here.

I agree, I was really put off by that bit at first. He ruthlessly attacks totally innocent people and I was worried that I'd already hate him as a character, but I figured he received more than enough beatings over the rest of the book to sort of "atone" for it.

youtube.com/playlist?list=4A35EEAEE3880943

>24 hours of lectures
lol no thanks. Why don't you explain the basics in your own words?

>literally one whole day of talking about a book
Jesus
Nice

mr silly knight funny adventures, also bum fights

The Recognitions made me laugh a lot. Like when someone offhandedly comments that Max's painting was just a shirt tacked to canvas, or when Otto and Mr. Sinisterra accidentally meet, or when the young priest in the monastery at the end follows the Very Distinguished Author around and won't shut the fuck up, or when they talk to the mummy and try to pretend it's their old grandmother...

Edith Grossman, the most recent translator of the book, has said that she cried when she first read it, but as time goes on she finds it more and more funny. I think, as the saying goes, it's funny for people who think and tragic for people who feel

I myself found the scene where he attacks the flock of sheep hilarious
>So saying, he dashed into the midst of the squadron of ewes, and began spearing them with as much spirit and intrepidity as if he were transfixing mortal enemies in earnest. The shepherds and drovers accompanying the flock shouted to him to desist; seeing it was no use, they ungirt their slings and began to salute his ears with stones as big as one's fist. Don Quixote gave no heed to the stones, but, letting drive right and left kept saying: "Where art thou, proud Alifanfaron? Come before me; I am a single knight who would fain prove thy prowess hand to hand, and make thee yield thy life a penalty for the wrong thou dost to the valiant Pentapolin Garamanta."

Every Pynchon book has blurbs on it saying how hilarious he is. I think he's clever and makes me chuckle here and there, but I'd hardly call any of his books I've read "funny" overall.

Profane's chapters in V. were really funny though.
"In which things are not so amusing" is actually just the opposite with Esther's abortion fundraising party and all that jazz.