Veeky Forums's thoughts on madame bovary?

Veeky Forums's thoughts on madame bovary?

Probably one of my top 3 novels ever

Does it have graphic sex scenes? How many?

This is very important.

How come?

I thought it was a critique on spouses/marriage, spark notes said it was a social commentary on class divides. Not sure what to think of it.

Anyone here read it in French?

I've only started reading it and can see what you mean, but I guess more themes are discussed later in the book.

The prose, mainly. But also the vast amount of documentation that went into it of course.

Never been much of a plot guy (mainly into modernism and latin american boom and beyond) and I mostly look on it as a means to develop the themes, which I think this book does just fine. Main ones being Weltschmertz and sossocialme passing social commentary (think how the only two characters to prosper are Homais and Lhereux at the end of the book)

But honestly the prose is flawless and just carries the whole book, don't need to look further than that

The original cuck story.

It's not a meme, so I doubt Veeky Forums has read it

>the prose is flawless
How does one, strictly in terms of prose quality, become so perfect a writer as Flaubert?

It taught me what not to do when you get married

pain and practice
copy out passages from Flaubert and writers he read, try to write new material in their style, and read both aloud.

I just got home with a copy of this book and no knowledge of the plot so this thread has been very reassuring

it triggered me so badly how she spent all her husband money on shit

I always pity the cuck in those kinds of books, Charles Bovary (like Alexei Alexandrovich), did nothing wrong and got cucked hard.

If you read it for anything else than style and in any form but untranslated you're doing it wrong.

Silly frogposter, cuckoldry is as old as humanity

>De temps à autre, il portait une pauvre chandelle romaine ; alors la foule béante poussait une clameur où se mêlait le cri des femmes à qui l’on chatouillait la taille pendant l’obscurité. Emma, silencieuse, se blottissait doucement contre l’épaule de Charles ; puis, le menton levé, elle suivait dans le ciel noir le jet lumineux des fusées. >Rodolphe la contemplait à la lueur des lampions qui brûlaient.
>Ils s’éteignirent peu à peu. Les étoiles
s’allumèrent. Quelques gouttes de pluie vinrent à tomber. Elle noua son fichu sur sa tête nue.

2 of them. MISTER Bovary gets cucked twice.

Unbelievably good. Flaubert was a God of a novelist

That's it. Flaubert is a great prosateur, no doubt, but he is The Romancier.

best english translation?

One of the...maybe five novels I would reccomend to anyone trying to write seriously.

It's absolutely brilliant. I went through it on a short timeline for school, missed all the subplots, and came out perplexed and with more or less a bad impression. Went through it again way later, and it opened my eyes to greatness. I went since then through most of Flaubert, and he's right there near the top of my favourite authors.

Charles has the life his wife always wanted. He is a true romantic personified. Never forget that Flaubert was a romantic writer, forced to do this novel by his friends, but he did leave some of it still in the novel. It is still there, just not focused.

Adam Thorpe.

the others?

I just finished it yesterday. It's a fucking masterpiece of style and psychology. The kind of book that aspiring writers should study.

>>It taught me what not to do when you get married
and what is that?

if you know any girls irl or go to any female forum or message boards, when they talk about partner count most of them have slept with at least 10+ guys by the time they're 20 (and usually they don't even "count" bj's n shit), so just imagine after college etc

literally all of them are sluts, same as men, the only difference is it's 100x easier for the average woman to get laid than it is for the average man (which explains the bitterness of most men over most women's excessive promiscuity/infidelity)

in general it just means it's incredibly easy to fuck them as long as you're decent looking, but on the flip side it does ruin relationships/monogamy completely

it's mostly bad for the cucks who actually invests time, money & effort to date/marry a girl who had an average of 20-50 cocks in her. that's just sad

bump

Dubliners by Joyce
Sound and Fury by Faulkner
Swann's way by Proust
Cousin Bette by Balzac

NOT ENOUGH PEGGING, BUT FAIRLY GOOD FOR A LOW-ENERGY WANK OR NINE. IT WAS MARVELLOUS EASY TO IMAGINE MME BOVARY WITH LARGE, YES BOVINE, KNOCKERS WITH WHICH SHE COULD SLAP AROUND HER STUPID HUSBAND. I GIVE THIS OH POINT FIVE OUT OF TWO BALLS -- RECOMMENDED FOR ENTHUSIASTS.

Flaubert himself said in his letters that he didn't mean to make the novel a social commentary, and that the literary critics calling Madame Bovary an "histoire de moeurs" or comparing him to Balzac were idiots. What really matters here is the prose and Flaubert's doctrine of impersonality. The bourgeois setting is only a pretext.

10/10, would cuck husband

shitty waifu

great novel, but Anna Karenina, which is Tolstoy's answer to Madame Bovary, is even better.