Replicated Food

What do you imagine food that has been materialized out of pure energy patterns tastes like? I like to think that a clever programmer chef could replicate a nuanced, delicious meal using only algorithms.

I can't help but imagine that it would taste stale. You get people on the show who swear that the real thing tastes better.

Light.

I am in love with Patrick Steward

They've been pretty clear throughout the series that it's programmed to only provide purely nutritional foods, there's even an entire episode with a subplot revolving around Deanna Troi wanting a "real" sunday, with all the sugars and fats, and the computer just beeps back "I am only programmed to provide foods comprised of the proper dietary nutrients determined by the medical officer" or something of that nature.

Why would they program food? All they have to do is make a meal, beam it up, then keep the pattern in storage to replicate.

Transporter patterns degrade over time.

Replicated food probably has to analyze the real deal first before it can freely construct it. Say for example you wanted a roast beef sandwich, it probably needs to analyze the chemical make-up and amino acids of roast beef. Moreso in a way ideal for a sandwich. Not only that but it would have to know what kind of bread, what kind of cheese if applicable and all that.

What you would have to account for is that a materializing machine would have to keep "recipes" and preparation as data before it can create some instance of said food items. Variants, whether something's toasted, rare, medium, etc.,

That's probably because the problem with speculative science fiction is that it's less believable if things are TOO ideal if the tech doesn't exist. Flaws like that bring it down to earth in a sense.

If we had replicator in real life, you can expect patches and updates every few weeks to make sure it's as good as the real thing.

>Be Star Trek
>Imply replicated food is soulless
>Use transporters with impunity

I think a problem would be that every time you ordered a specific meal it would come out exactly the same to the molecule, which might become boring unless you specified some variance.
>McChicken
>Extra sauce
>Sloppy

I'm sure they would be able to pracitce replicating food in the holodeck.

>>computer, synthesize 40 chicken mcnuggets.

>>disengage saftey protocols.

dis gon be good

If holodecks were real, I wouldn't be using them to replicate food.

I wonder if the computer could replicate meals like steaks and potatoes, but that have the calorie and nutrition of vegetables.
Kind of like how diet soda sort of tastes similar to regular soda but one has 0 calories.

Thats a great question. I always overlooked the taste and marveled at the technological achievement

if people could just replicate all the corndogs, mac and cheese and chicken nuggies they wanted how come they're not round fat fucks?

can you program the food to be calorie free?

Maybe certain dishes that people favored and were a conniseur of like Troi's sunday weren't "as good" as a non replicated one because of a refined palate.
In voyager when Tuvok begins baking with Neelix it seems like they replicated the base ingredients then constructed all of the various desserts by hand to which Paris, Kim, and Janeway were raving about the deliciousness. It could be possible to program the subtleties of specific techniques into the replicator instead of having the food on the default setting all the time.
You could tell the computer to make a dish in the style of a specific chef or restaurant.
>computer, take me to flavortown.
>disengage safety protocols.

If it was like the holodeck it would just vanish from inside your body when you left the galley.

>Prepare one dish made of ultra rare ingredients
>Scan it
>Replicate it infinitely
>Literally everyone can enjoy grilled mammoth steaks in truffle sauce with a side of Almas caviar and scrambled ostrich eggs for breakfast every day
Star Trek really is the best timeline.

Pretty sure it's not legal to use the holodeck for what you want.

Everything's legal in the holodeck, it might just flag your service record is all.

It's programmed to provide balanced nutrition. Some of the characters are round fat fucks though. which begs the question of how they got like that.

But where does the mass come from? Is creating chicken nuggers from the replicator going to destabalize the universe?

Recycled from the warp core and the ship (poop)

Is it actually necessary to be at the replicator to replicate something? Or is it just a convenient terminal with space to "make" a thing? Transporters use the same technology right, and it's possible to transport stuff to places that don't have a device present to "construct" them.

if you have 3 balanced nutritional meals a day you wont get fat

but what if you had 10? 20? thats why.

you can get fat on hard tack if you eat enough of it

You have replicator rations. I would assume that includes food and booze limits.

Is it possible to turn a person into beef patties using the teleporter?

>hey buddy... you gonna eat that?

If they have beef patties in the pattern buffer.

Does it count as cannibalism to eat said patties?

If the transporters and the replicators use the same pools of matter to build from then you are eating people and you are made of beef.

>not replicating live gagh
>not having a whole show built around Data pretentiously creating some sort of bullshit, manufactroversial ethical quagmire out of this and prompting the crew to explore what it truly means to be a person™

Its been done with professor moriarty already

>Its been done already
When has this ever stopped Star Trek, friendo?

What's to stop someone from using the holodeck to act out pedophile, necrophile, bestiality etc fantasies?

If you're a senior officer, nothing. Geordi had a creepy stalker fantasy and it was like "ha ha a delightful misunderstanding"

If you're a junior officer, even the mildest fantasy like renaissance style fencing with a more senior officer is grounds for extreme ostracism which is the worst punishment they can have in the federation

Probably if you did pedo, necro, or cow fucking, you'd be sacrificed to the borg in the hopes of corrupting their culture from within

We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. We will add your psychological and sexological distinctiveness to our own. You must comply.

>Star Trek
Fuck off back to /tv/ you fucking losers.

I'd imagine in terms of food or whatever, the thing would be programmed to be imperfect, even without human input parameters. Like, mostly good, but each meal vaguely unique in proportions, done-ness, distribution of heat/cooking, etc, all by some randomization functions or whatever.

>don't own a television
>never watch television
>completely confused and annoyed by the constant television celebrity threads on Veeky Forums
>nobody ever says anything about those
>finally see a thread about a television program I don't hate
>post in it
>some guy starts raving about how I should go back to /tv/
No I think I'll stay right here, maybe you should post another of your 6/10 mediocre canadian female actresses eating salad if you require attention

They wouldn't do that. Nobody would take them seriously wearing pony costumes.

Subscribed.

>Nobody would take them seriously wearing pony costumes.
Wouldn't that be an advantage though?

How does halal replicator food work?

Sand niggers had to be removed before humanity reached the point where they could get into space.

Amish people browse the internet apparently.

>Julian Bashir
He's not muslim though, everyone is a fedora in star trek since Roddenberry was a commie.

>Use transporters with impunity
>Forgetting what happened to Riker

>beef patties
>from humans
Not sure what kind of 'beef" you're eating.