Turns out it's coming out as 2 hours and then some flick. Any opinions on the novel? I hear it's fairly short

Turns out it's coming out as 2 hours and then some flick. Any opinions on the novel? I hear it's fairly short.

Get out Reeeeeeee

Jesus Christ did you even check to see if there wasn't another thread on the exact same topic. DELETE THIS!

take your meds, your sperg is showing.

check the catalog

awesome guys, buping this one so the other thread is out now.

Anways, I'm not a huge fan of Silence. Was routing up for hero to go the martyr route, and in the process a bit disappointed with ethics in the end. The Japanese characters views are perfectly fine, even eye opening, but Endo lacks certain western Catholic understanding to be believable. He puts way too much emphasis on apostasy. Forced denouncement is not apostasy for western priest. It's not martyrdom, but also not an outright abandonment of Catholicism. With that, one of the main themes isn't on firm grounds anymore, and novel loses some authenticity.

oh god now starts the migrating of the fucking /tv/ faggot plebs
just fuck off

i dont think you understand catholic theology, nor do you know anything about japanese history

embarassing post tbqhwyf.

>awesome guys, buping this one so the other thread is out now.
>Was routing up for hero to go the martyr route, and in the process a bit disappointed with ethics in the end.
That's kind of the point, the illiterate Japanese peasants had more faith in Christ than the priests, they were willing to die, some singing before degrading the Mother of God.
>The Japanese characters views are perfectly fine, even eye opening, but Endo lacks certain western Catholic understanding to be believable.
I disagree, I found his characters to be perfectly fine, they were even obviously distinct from the Japanese characters.
>He puts way too much emphasis on apostasy. Forced denouncement is not apostasy for western priest. It's not martyrdom, but also not an outright abandonment of Catholicism.
As it has very obvious parallels with the first Christians, it's important to note that they too saw acts of sacrilege such as trampling icons, as apostasy and abandonment of the Church.
>With that, one of the main themes isn't on firm grounds anymore, and novel loses some authenticity.
It's pretty firm, just not written as if the characters came from after the second Vatican council.

wtf? It's written in the translators foreword, and is in fact the main reason that Endos views are so controversial among christians in Japan. Among catholics and protestants alike.

What exactly is controversial about his views? Because none of the things you mentioned are controverisial. Some things, sure, especially Deep River as it's his own apostasy in a way, but Silence? I wouldn't say so.

ANYONE GOT ANY ENDO EPUBS THAT ARE NOT SILENCE OR KIKU'S PRAYER

direct quote from the book, you supposedly read, it's in every english translation
>FINALLY, in all fairness to existing Japanese Christianity, I must add that Mr. Endo’s book and his thesis have been extremely controversial in this country, and one can scarcely take his voice as that of Christian Japan. Shortly after the publication of Silence I myself was in Nagasaki where I found some indignation among the old Christians, who felt that Mr. Endo had been less than fair to the indomitable courage of their heroic ancestors. Criticism also came from the Protestant Doshisha University where Professor Yanaibara protested vigorously that these two priests had no faith from the beginning. It was not the swamp of Japan that conquered them; it was simply that their sociological faith, nourished in Christian Portugal, evaporated beneath the impact of a pagan culture. ‘The martyrs heard the voice of Christ’, he wrote in the Asahi Journal, ‘but for Ferreira and Rodrigues God was silent. Does this not mean that from the beginning those priests had no faith? And for this reason Rodrigues’ struggle with God is not depicted.’ As for the failure of Christianity, Professor Yanaibara is not convinced: Obviously the belief of Ferreira and Inoue that Japan is a swamp which cannot absorb Christianity is not a reason for apostasy. It was because he lost his faith that Ferreira began to think in this way.… In that Christian era there were many Japanese who sincerely believed in Christ, and there are many who do so today. No Christian will believe that Christianity cannot take root in Japan. If the Japanese cannot understand Christianity, how has it been possible for Mr. Endo to write such a novel?{14} Indeed, the very popularity of Mr. Endo’s novel would seem to proclaim a Japan not indifferent to Christianity but looking for that form of Christianity that will suit its national character.

You can only claim patrician cred if you read the book before Scorsese wanted to mkae a film out of it. Sorry lads, try another book

What if I had already read another book by the same author, just not this one in particular until now?

That also counts.
Still looking for the epub of his other works.
I was wrong, or at least my interpretation had been a bit different and possibly wrong. For example, his depiction of japanese Christians in Silence and Kiku's Prayer is not that of something which cannot take hold, but rather of limitless faith and heroism in face of what was basically the world's first concentration camp. It was not the faith of the Japanese that is put in question, it is the faith of the westerners.

yes but you type like a faggot and cant use google

I looked, couldn't find it. If you know where to find them, link, if not, fuck off.

I wish there was an english translation of his Konishi Yukinaga novel.

Scorsese will probably make him more popular. And hopefully that will lead to more translations and editions of his work.

Can't wait to see the movie edition cover over this pretty nice cover art edition.

Liam Neeson's frumpy face wearing a priest collar. With "Now a major motion picture from Martin Scorsasseh!" Starburst.

You mean this one?

Correction, this one:

Honestly all his books have amazing covers. And no, I've no epubs, but apparently a lot of his work is translated.

It's worse than all the others, but even this looks nice.