Tfw too sincere for this irony-saturated modern culture

>tfw too sincere for this irony-saturated modern culture

Anyone else know this feel? Are there any books where a romantic character copes with the nature of ironic post-modern consumer and social media culture?

You should write one

Have you tried the /pol/ redpill? We're recruiting and looking to re-establish a time before degeneracy and the things you describe; ideally a world akin to the '50s with traditional gender roles and racial segregation.

>self identified sincerity

Go to hell you fucking huckster

If anything modern culture is the opposite of ironic. It's dripping with a simplistic, reductionist sincerity. Grown people take to social media en masse to squee their approval at Pokemon, memes (the millennial version of your grandma's 90s chain emails), and the virtues of feminism/multiculturalism/alt-right/mra/insert-hack-ideology-here

/pol/ is weaponised irony. That's what I'm rebelling against.

Exactly, I think idiots are mixing up sincere with authentic or honest

oh god why must you make the bait so delicious

it's so unfair
and life is so very very cold

>views that don't conform to my parochial view of the world can be dismissed as 'bait'

They can though, very easily

I actually think it's the opposite. We live in a society obsessed with authenticity. Hence the Millennial obsession with symbolic politics like Occupy and BLM, "artisanal" consumer goods, and urban life generally.

I associate sincerity with Nietzsche's master morality.

> Hence the Millennial obsession with symbolic politics like Occupy and BLM, "artisanal" consumer goods, and urban life generally.

I don't know how you are understanding authentic here but I mean it in terms of being emotionally honest. Consumerism and spectacle politics aren't honest

Authenticity is about "realness" not honesty. It's a term that could have only emerged in a consumer society.

Most people under the age of 30 still don't understand that face value doesn't equal "honesty" or "realness"
There are a handful of public icons that were genuinely sincere, without being "self aware sincere" where they, in a way, pretend to be genuine and assert that they are in fact, the real deal, because they know it sells and is considered "cool"
The "struggling, starving artist" stereotype is so interwoven into society that people genuinely believe it's a good thing. From birth they've been told that it's necessary to rebel against something, and they do this even when they don't know what they are rebelling against.
The millennial obsession is still one of accepting things at face value. Young people are obsessed with self image and selling themselves into a niche group, or even just selling themselves as being "something" rather than nothing. (Nothing in this context meaning not being fucked up or "weird" in some way)
If you're normal, you're bad. If you're not creative, you're bad.
Veeky Forums is a perfect example of this. People want to be writers because it's considered cool to be a "creative" as a job. Even if the output is fucking shit, it doesn't matter. It's all unauthentic bullshit. The type of people that believe there is such a thing as a "literary lifestyle"

It's similar to people who dress in a certain way to fit into a certain small group within society. Take "goths" or something like that, they have to be self aware, don't they? How can they not be? You don't just fall into wearing black leather capes and shit like that, and it's a conscious choice when they applied their eye makeup and white face paint, or whatever.
This is the opposite of "rebelling" to me. They are conforming, yet they dislike those who conform?

It is extremely difficult to be 100% sincere without being aware of it. The only people who manage to pull it off are those who are completely detached from society. Think lone drifters, life long alcoholics, drug addicts, maybe even schizophrenics, etc.

>/pol/
>sincere

post-ironic irony is the worst of all

>Authenticity is about "realness" not honesty

You're wrong. Look at the etymology. It has to do with authorship, or in the german eigenlich - what is properly one's ownmost

We can say authenticity arrived with writing. Fuck even socrates privileging speaking over writing in the phaedrus has to do with authenticity

DFW might fit what you are looking for. If you don't want to start with Infinite Meme, then Broom of the System might work.

>David Faggot Wallace
>Sincere
You're a troll surely? Either way, fuck off.
Why do you think he killed himself? Because he knew he was a fraud.

I think wanting to be sincere so badly that you kill yourself is its own form of sincerity

No it isn't. It is the exact opposite.
Suicide has been hilariously glamorised over the last couple of decades. He was probably thinking about the articles they'd write as he put up the noose.

I want to be a writer because I know there's not much other than maybe a child that will give me meaning.

And an alcoholic or drug addict aren't arguably "sincere" either, because they've given up their core self to another external influence of drugs. Even a lone drifter would have some memory of society, the only example that would really work would be someone born in the wild, and again, there environment would influence who they are to an extent. Really, the sincerest thing we are is nothing - and that's not in terms of being a loser, but just the concept: a loose abstract with no fixed point that blends around everything real.

Take the real redpill, you live in a society that is so genuinely depraved that is it impossible to look at without an ironic filter.

See you on /pol/.

>I want to be a writer because I know there's not much other than maybe a child that will give me meaning.
As always you are eating from the trashcan of ideology, and so on.

I don't think I'm ever going to escape an ideology of sorts. I'll just accept that whatever influences me is part of me, and my biggest influence is to make something beautiful.

You are wrong. Being an alcoholic or drug addict doesn't mean you've given up anything of the sort.
When you are drunk or high, or whatever, you are not thinking "Wow, that was deep bro, I should totally put that in, people would love that", you just fucking write, or sing, or draw, paint, or whatever. There is a reason most good writers are alcoholic fuck ups or drug addicts. Or mentally ill. And this isn't meant to glamorise it either, it's just the way it is and probably always has been.
The rest of your post is not relevant at all. It's not a matter of having no memory of society, it's a matter of having no sense of self and being purely in the moment. I should add that this is does not mean that great works can't come out of the opposite either.

And if you want to be a writer because it gives you "meaning", then you are in for a serious shock, my friend.

So you're saying it's our inhibitions that mean we are not sincere? I can get behind that, and I see your point more clearly. Of course, what I was arguing, is that if you strip down the inhibitions, you still behave out of your desires, and your desire is still externally influenced to a degree. And I agree that self-awareness hurts sincerity, but then, without self-awareness, are we really sincere at all? There's no agency there, we'd be sincere in the way a dog is, but I think, again, we'd lose out on a core facet of personality. And again, even with external influences, and self-awareness, I think it's the things that influence us that become us. You could even argue that every man in the world is totally sincere, because they are just reacting to feelings and forming new ones, and whatever was "true" to begin with wasn't really anything more real. Of course, I think this explains why absolutely no-one really feels sincere, because there's nothing absolute to express.

And on writers having to be fucked up, I don't think that's totally analogous. I think good writers are "fucked up" in the sense that they crave meaning because they see it deeply lacking in the world. And many of those "great writers" were extremely self-conscious too, and they became adept at manipulating influence because of it.

And as for wanting to find meaning in writing, I'm not expectful either, just desperate. Certainly, it's more promising than working in a bank.

/pol/ is being so ironic and contrarian that you go full circle and return to tradition, you are edgier than nihilists.

insincerity is a form of sincerity on its own. its all a matter of perspective. Everything is literally the Immaculate Conception. everything being a circle revolving in on itself being both the opposite and the original at the same time.

This is my post exactly, but shorter and with more madness and poetry.

Random passerby from another board.
Feels good to be sincere, man.

That said, not sure if your post is implying that sincerity is good or bad, care to clarify?

>Are there any books where a romantic character copes with the nature of ironic post-modern consumer and social media culture?

Most brony fanfics

authenticity for consumers is the fantasy that only in the old days people knew what was good recipe to make good goods

you humble me

kek fuck off