Philosophical books to help deal with losing the love of my life

Sup Veeky Forums

Though I'm an avid reader, it's my first post here.
I need some philosophical books, several months back I broke up (I started it, became mutual) with a lady who I later realized was the love of my life. I doubt we will have any chance of getting back together. Alongside this I have many other serious troubles in my life, but my mind has found it fit to mostly focus on this lost love.

Anything you could recommend that is philosophical, maybe dark, that can help me deal with this break up? It would help a lot more if the topic is about love etc. as well.

Thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/How-Live-Montaigne-Question-Attempts/dp/1590514831
twitter.com/AnonBabble

amazon.com/How-Live-Montaigne-Question-Attempts/dp/1590514831

I'd go out and do something rather then read a book m8. Go meet up with friends and have a drink, go for a walk, go to the gym, go take a few pictures ect.

Ah well I had to move back in with my dad, in a foreign country due to the "other serious troubles" having left me with no money etc.

Tomorrow I'll be heading downtown to the bars area, and thinking of picking up a book on the way. Hence the question :)

Thanks, that seem good!

Any more suggestions? Also dealing with social isolation atm, so if that is involved along with the lost love issue it would be pretty sweet :)

Thanks

I was also looking at some works of Camus, who I've always wanted to read up on.

Mostly I'm considering Myths of Sisyphus, but would anyone know a more fitting work of his?
Or another author/work in a similar theme?

oh man, story of my life

and reads to recommend?

Start with The Stranger for sure. It's more of a philosophical treatise wrapped in a "plot", if you can call it that, rather than Camus writing an essay. One can really say there is no definite way to interpret him, but there are some ways which are more wrong than others, so be warned, it won't really help you with your particular problems but may just help you to live life a little easier

And obligatory Meditations by Marcus Aurelius

I found sisyphus to be somewhat difficult to grasp since I have not read much philosphy.
But something that did help me when days were looking gloomy was some of schopenhauers essays I found were effective in giving me some motivation and meaning.
Not that I claim to understand schopy at all, but I felt good after having someone tell you life is not this happy go lucky affair where you are the odd one out.

wops, replie to the wrong one, was meant for this:

Meditations was also in my list, thanks.

Haha schopenhauer's on women comes to mind... might actually avoid that though lol

Also considering Hemingway and Bukowski!
Bukowski's Factotum and Women seem fitting, could use suggestions about Hemingway's works!

Since I'm pretty much gonna walk into a "passage" filled with used book stores in a non-english speaking country, I'll pick up the first from my list that comes up :)

Kierkegaard. Specifically his journals.

Emerson's "Experience"

Gotta second the Kierkegaard suggestion. A lot of his work seems related to his relationship with Regine and justifying its end. Helped me with a lot

A therapist. Not meming

"Papers and Journals" specifically? There seems to be an entire series on his journals besides that.

No thanks, I have no use for therapists with 2 week degrees that are useless for anyone over a certain level of development.

>No thanks, I have no use for therapists with 2 week degrees that are useless for anyone over a certain level of development.

So wise.

See a therapist, if they're shit find a different one.

Most are shit and are a waste of money for people educated already in psychiatry.

t. psychiatrist in training

J U N G

kierkegaard bruh

Yeah papers and journals is the one

Thanks, I'll check it out!

I was downtown, couldn't make it for the closing time of the used book shops due to traffic. On the other hand, I had Bukowski's Factotum on my ipad. It went quite well with a couple of pints and cigs in the athmosphere :)

I'd still appreciate more suggestions! Getting this list going, I have lots of free time thanks to my misfortune and want to catch up with reading these instead of medical texts that took up all my time previously.

Epictetus
Pascal
Kierkegaard
Lucretius
Seneca

No, he must deal with it alone .

The myth of sisyphus is nice but I don't think it has much to do with your situation and depending on your personality it might just make things worse. I liked it personally and it was quite liberating but I know many people feel depressed after it.