/gsg/ Graduate Student General: Gas the grade grubbing premeds edition

Last day of Spring break here, and my email is already blowing up about how I made a grading mistake and they had the correct answer. They're even attaching pics of their tests to the emails. HAHAHA our department policy is to scan and copy every exam before we grade it, and guess what? They're changing their answers, so 5 out of 7 that have emailed me. This should make for an interesting week since we are way past the drop deadline and our policy is automatic F if caught cheating.

On a related note, it will be nice to get back into the swing of things. I have a result that might be publishable so I am keeping my fingers crossed when I meet my advisor later this week.

My field is statistics.

How was everyone elses Spring break?

>They're changing their answers, so 5 out of 7 that have emailed me. This should make for an interesting week since we are way past the drop deadline and our policy is automatic F if caught cheating.

Holy fucking shit. Top kek.

It is always good to remind that these premed fuckers were the goody two shoes back in high school. The teacher's pet and all that.

It is nice to see them suffer. Fuck em.

they all do that. undergrads are brutal and will lie through their teeth for a couple of extra points.

I'm assuming that shit tactic is considered cheating. Fuck those students.

haha le gas chamber joek hehe xd so edgy epic le nazi reference hehe xd

Medical school boy here.

>Holy fucking shit. Top kek.
Yep, they will have that F and a mark on their transcripts for med school applications. Our chair is no nonsense and our dean (math/stats are in the same college as them) is based AF too.

I want to feel sorry for them, but they really are the worst when it comes to cheating. It seems as though none of them give a shit about the material, only their grade. "Understand the subject matter" falls on deaf ears, and it's more "let's go to [user's] office to get a few more points."

Yeah I know undergrads can be brutal, but in my experience, most undergrads are pretty reasonable when they fuck up, but not premeds. Premeds are all about trying to harass GTAs until they at least one more point. For them it's low risk - high reward. It's annoying as hell.

Yep, and we're past the drop deadline, so it will be an F and a mark on their transcripts for cheating.

t. premed Chegg superuser

hopefully you're doing alright. good luck

They who?

>Yep, they will have that F and a mark on their transcripts for med school applications. Our chair is no nonsense and our dean (math/stats are in the same college as them) is based AF too.

Lol man you just completely murdered them. And they deserved it too.

OP, please tell me, were they women?

>Lol man you just completely murdered them. And they deserved it too.

Who knows maybe they will make great vets for my dogs...

>OP, please tell me, were they women?
So far it's a good mix of women and men.

i would ve said who care and that you probably hate woman but experience taught me other wise. chick can get away with this at least in lower level.
although i was a pre-med major I can confirm that for this kid it s all about that GPA, they were willing to burn professor in order to keep that A-. understanding the material is def not a priority

Not sure how I'll do in my Research Design class. This is the professor's second semester teaching, first graduate class, and she doesn't know what she's doing. Woo.

>So far it's a good mix of women and men.
Ah, feels good man.

Knowing that out there there are first world privileged women suffering just makes my day.

>premed math major in my classes
>literally EVERY assignment will go to the professor and fight for extra points

makes me cringe hard

>had to pick readings for PI's upper level course
>get to sit in class this upcoming week and question them to make sure they did the readings because my PI didn't
>PI said he's gonna buy me pizza

>upper level lab only course with 15 kids
>almost all of them constantly ignore me and keep fucking up
>recently found out the most arrogant and annoying girl who unironically bullies her classmates got a C in single variable calculus and skipped her oral mid term exam

Kek, fucking cunt.

Also managed to finish my current experiment (excellent data) and start my next one while submitting a manuscript for publication and starting to write up another. I also got extra funding for the summer and I'll hear back soon about a bigger grant for the next (academic) year.

what the fuck is "excellent data"? just because it fits what you postulate does not make it more or less than what it is.

data is data.

As in good enough to take to 2 conferences instead of one (it dips into another topic I didn't expect it to). It didn't actually fit my hypothesis, it falsified it and gave me more interesting results than I expected.

Give me a break man, this was 10 months of daily data collection.

In other words, I get a free trip to another country as a result. I consider that excellent since I worked through every holiday the past year.

You're right though, data is data. It's just exciting since this was originally a kinda standard experiment with the sole purpose of giving me a conference abstract for the main conference in my field.

nice job homey. not hating, congrats.

Thanks famalam.

>Last day of Spring break here, and my email is already blowing up about how I made a grading mistake and they had the correct answer. They're even attaching pics of their tests to the emails. HAHAHA our department policy is to scan and copy every exam before we grade it, and guess what? They're changing their answers, so 5 out of 7 that have emailed me. This should make for an interesting week since we are way past the drop deadline and our policy is automatic F if caught cheating.

>fucking premeds in charge of not ruining science/math for everyone else
every single one of those fuckers deserve it and more

After reading all these stories about premeds I would rather just tell people I want to be a molecular biologist or some shit. The whole fields come to be associated with the biggest adderal snorting, soulless cheating retards I've ever met.

From my personal experience:
>dipshit who wants to be a "cardeyuh thoraksik surgeon" can't even pronounce the fucking name of his specialization right
>dipshit squad that openly brag about cheating on the exam as they leave the classroom
>The "I haven't chosen a specialization cause I'm not sure which one makes the most money" dipshit

There are more but I phase them out of memory to not feel even worse about this field. They choose it only because of the money thus you have a bunch of robotic dickheads who don't give a shit about actually learning anything.

Yeah you should just do that. You don't want the stigma of being premed. Sucks but that's how it is.

>premed
>has no interest in biology/chemistry etc
>becomes bio/chem etc major

why do they do it?

It's usually their parents desu. Dated an Indian chick in college who was premed and a mol bio major. She hated science but thought she wanted to be a doctor cuz her parents had drilled it into her so bad.

>ohmygod user why did I get 1 point off for this? Stacy had, like, almost the SAME thing for her conclusion. But my handwriting is fine, what are you talking about?

>barometric pressure? what? where am I supposed to find that? come on user I really need these points, I'm going to become a dentist

>user OH MY GOD NO BRITNEY AND I ARE LAB PARTNERS SO WE HAD THE SAME DATA SO WE COULDN'T NOT TURN IN IDENTICAL REPORTS. what? our work has to be unique? why? that's dumb

>user, I need you to excuse me from lab for next week because I'm going to be gone with Britney, Stacy, and Kelsey for my sorority's annual charity dance marathon. That isn't an acceptable excuse for missing lab? user...come on, work with me here

>sorority stuff is IMPORTMANT user!
why the fuck are you in STEM if you think anything comes above the science you cunts

Someone could please explain me how the fuck does the college system work for medicine in the US? I'm a medicine student myself and here we don't have premeds, majors, minors. What's all that? Always confuses me

>My field is statistics.
what can you tell me about reliability?

Completely up to you user, but I'd use this instead of just turning them in.
Have them stay after, and tell them you're going to be giving them a test in a week, that will override this one - and that you will be turning them in for cheating should they get less than stellar marks.

Learn the subject material, or drown, with very immediate results. Probably will be quite effective.

Why the fuck would anyone do this
>okay I have 100% concrete evidence you cheated.
>So I'll waste a couple hours of my time making another exam so you can do a rewrite and have another chance to get off with no repercussions and a good grade

>ohmygod user why did I get 1 point off for this?
This annoys me more when they lost 2 goddamn marks on the whole exam and still feel the need to come in and fight for both of them.

Fuck off faggot you got a 96

who /switched majors/ here?

I did Physics undergrad but decided to go into Nuclear Engineering for my master's (though I'd be lying if I didn't admit that my parents were encouraging me to make the switch due to job outlooks). I'm enjoying it so far but I don't know where exactly I want to focus on yet (my thesis project is doing simulations for a test reactor that's being rebooted). I'm more interested in reactor physics than shit like thermal hydraulics, but I'm also interested in nuclear medicine and I guess some degrees of plasma physics.

Anyone applying to schools for PhD programs? Interested in hearing where other masters' students are planning to go and what they're focusing in.

Reminder to report and ignore shitposting.

Welder here. Engineering drop out. Couldnt keep up with the calculus. So I know how they feel. Unless theyre the kind of people who didnt have to work 40 hours a week to pay for shit. Then they deserve it. Glad I droppeed out though. No debt (calc 3 killed me in community college) and $36 lined up starting job that tops in the $50s and I can just leave to get higher wages once Im experienced.

What's tha latest Liquor brewing technology Veeky Forums?

>tfw no TA requirement

We're like the one top genetics program that does this, too. I'm so glad.

This. They deserve to be expelled, but since the schools are too pussy, at least hit them with a fail.

Is Nuclear Engineering a field with good job prospects in the US? Naively I would say that it seems like an area with just a limited amount of jobs that is unlikely to grow.

A "premed" major isn't an official major. It just means "premedical."

In the US, medical school is like grad school. You do undergrad in whatever major, take the prereq classes and the entrance exam, and when you get your degree, you apply to medical school and hope you get in.

The prereqs for med school are biology, physics, gen. Chem and organic chemistry, 1 year each. Because of that, most premeds choose a biology or chemistry major, but the most common now is actually biochem, since that material is on the MCAT (entrance exam). But you could major in interpretive dance if you wanted, so long as you fulfilled the requirements.

But medical school is insanely competitive. The average GPA of a matriculant is a 3.75 on a 4.0 scale, a very good mcat score (at LEAST 80th percentile) and a bunch of extracurriculars like volunteering and research. The demands create hyper-competitive dick heads, most of whom drop out because getting a 3.75gpa is hard when you don't actually care about the material.

Medical school itself is then 4 years long, with a 3-7 year residency afterwards, depending on what specialty you go into.

Medical school in the US is a very obvious path, with no surprises, so absolute retards become premeds because they got some decent grades in high school AP Chem

>PI said he's gonna buy me pizza
I want your PI

>Chem grad student
>Had choice of doing recitation (aka homework help + homework grading) for gen chem 2 or lab for gen chem 2, same # of hours

I chose lab. My friend chose recitation. I definitely made the better choice imo, because it's a lot easier to deal with students asking for more points (actually, it's only happened once or twice in my 1.5 semesters TAing so far) because all the data came from THEM and if they fucked up the experiment, that's their problem. Meanwhile my friend deals with people saying "yeah I did the problem wrong but I deserve 3/5 instead of 2/5!" all the time.

Maybe my students don't complain so much about points because I don't go to a competitive school...

>Be bio undergrad, junior year
>Haven't heard from any REU programs yet
>Assuming at this point I won't get accepted to any
Do you think I'll still be competitive for grad school with a 2 year independent study under my belt, along with a ~3.6 GPA and pretty good extracurriculars? Assuming I do well on the GREs anyway

by independent study do you mean in a lab headed by a PI?

Do you have your name on any conference abstracts or publications? TA experience? Do you know more lab techniques than your average bio major? Do you have a PI with connections? Are you a minority or female?

These things matter more than GPA for graduate school, as long as you're above a 3.

>Anyone applying to schools for PhD programs?
paleofag here, got accepted to Mizzou
feels goodman

Forgot to add rec letters to this list.

Geochemistry MS student working on Paleoclimate. Going to Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in April to continue my sampling and analysis. Going to be fun.

neat.csv
what's your focus?
temperature, OAEs, ocean circulation...?

I am a graduate TA. I usually get pestered by Chinese students. They always try to get extra points because they didn't understand English properly. I tell them to fuck off.

Nope. I am not going to waste my time by creating, administering, and grading another exam just so some cheaters get a second chance.

I have copies/scans of their exams before they were graded. They're saying that I made a mistake grading, but their "proof" that I made a mistake is altered answers than the ones that they submitted on the exam. They can enjoy that F.

Yeah this is also pretty annoying.

t. another premed Chegg superuser

Yeah it sucks, but at least we can give them an F.

>Meanwhile my friend deals with people saying "yeah I did the problem wrong but I deserve 3/5 instead of 2/5!" all the time.
That's why you need to have a rubric for grading. That way when they start bitching about points, you point them to the rubric and say "see this is why you only got 2/5" and it helps avoid some of the issue in Congratulations!

>I tell them to fuck off.
I wish I could be that blunt, but I try to remain as professional as possible.

Mainly temperature, but the resolution of the sampling can give us insight into decadal cycles. Maybe even ENSO.

Fuck talking about teaching. I never want to teach. I had to get up at 7 today to go sit at office hours (assigned to me) only for no one to show up so far. I literally felt ill grading papers the other day because of how massive a time suck it is from important shit.

Anyway, I have a final in my organometallics class tomorrow (taught by PI) and I haven't studied nearly enough. I'm fucked.

Research is interesting and going well at least.

Here in Germany (and I think Europe in general) you have an own Medicine degree which is 5 years long (like the old Diplom which got replaced in most majors by Bachelor/Master). It is hard to get in, because you need to do well in highschool, but once in, the first three years you only need to pass the exams but the grades don't matter.

>premeds

What even IS this shit?

>putting up with the med school bullshit
>before you're even IN med school

I swear to god you americans are cucked to hell and back

Man that sounds comfy as fuck if you get in.

Americans stress about getting to the best uni possible, so they kill themselves in high school, then for another 4 years in uni, then kill themselves to take the MCAT and IF you get into med school, you have to kill yourself again so you can be something other than an internist.

I don't really mean to defend those faggot ass students, people in my class do that shit too and I think they're fucking faggots.

But seriously get off your high horse.

>cheating

How the fuck is it cheating? The student is handing you a request for points, after-the-fact, using official channels. They aren't trying to fucking lookup answers during the test.

The correct thing to do is to simply deny such bullshit requests. How the fuck do you justify giving them an F for this shit? Just admit you're looking for a reason to fuck them.

>It seems as though none of them give a shit about the material, only their grade.

It's not surprising at all. You people came up with this crappy ass "grading" system and it's the student's fault for trying to optimize his score?

Will giving a shit about "the material" allow them to pass their grade and get into med school? Fuck no. Will they be able to get into fucking Radiology and make all that sweet money if they get a crap score? Absolutely not. So why the fuck are you offended when they try to get what they want by any means available?

I bet most of "the material" won't be directly applicable to whatever it is you're going to do with your life. Not giving a shit about it until its relevance is proven is the sanest course of action. You're like every pretentious teacher ever, who thinks his particular bullshit is the center of the fucking universe. Most likely than not people have better things to do than "understand" whatever material you're preaching.

>"Understand the subject matter" falls on deaf ears, and it's more "let's go to [user's] office to get a few more points."

That's pretty rich coming from the people who use points to measure the student's understanding.

If you actually cared about people "actually understanding things" you'd be doing one-on-one mentoring programs, not the currently widespread mass education system. Of course that just "doesn't scale" right?

t. salty premed

You don't need one on one mentoring to understand something. What they used to do before the current system was read books. You've heard of those, right user?

>optimize his score
Is this bait? They clearly edited their photos to cheat for extra points. Not against cheating, but if you get caught suck it up. You are retarded.

There's no premed in my country you fucking cuck.

Reading books doesn't directly translate into grades either. Does your teacher go to your library and make note of who's reading so he can give extra points later? Fuck no.

Many times my gunner classmates read the books from cover to cover only to discover the faggot teacher would only ask the random niche things he says directly in class and are nowhere to be found in any of the course references. Cue their indignation and frantic argumentation so they can invalidate those two questions that marred their perfect scores. Me? I'm smarter than that: I just record the guy and transcribe the audio later. I know better than to waste time "understanding" material rather than just say whatever it is you faggots want to hear.

Then fucking reject their fucking application, asshole. You're going out of your way to fuck people who are only there because it's an absolute requirement for them. They couldn't give less of a shit about your course.

It was good pizza. Students were shitters as always.

Back to work.

>3.75 GPA
>Competitive

If they can't pass the course then medical school has decided that they just aren't qualified to be doctors. It's just that simple.

Haha you fucking dipshit. You're ashamed of your own kind? Are you even IN medical school? Come here preach about your selfless desire to learn and help africans get healthcare once you're actually 4 years in and have been used as a hospital slave in 14+ hour shifts nearly every fucking day of damn life with asshole doctors whose idea of teaching is asking you absolutely retarded questions in front of the patient, only to have some gunner piece of shit show you up. You know it's something worth remembering when they're all things these assholes gotta look it up the night before!

Those "premeds" giving you real talk about their (GASP) intention to make as much money as possible? The horror! Good for them. They won't be as shocked when they actually get in.

>waaah I went into a field because it pays well and its hard

Really?

>lie through their teeth for a couple of extra points.

You mean Asians and Jews do that, just like in every other endeavour they pursue.

>medicine is a high paying job
>therefore we can infringe work hour limits
>we KNOW it's illegal and straight up order students and residents not to report it

Go volunter in Africa asshole. God knows they're in deep need of underpaid selfless cucks such as yourself.

Former Molecular Biology TA here. ALWAYS choose lab. Ideally in some upper-division course instead of introductory whatever. These are the only enjoyable courses to teach.

Did you not think that a job renowned for paying well would have difficulties to balance it out? Suck it up, you made your choice when you decided to pursue the dosh.

Nah you shut up faggot, I am almost out of med school and unlike you I got in knowing all that would happened, not a single person who gets into this field has the right to cry about all that shit because you knew damn well that's how it works and it was YOUR decision to get in anyways. It always the same faggots without passion who cry about this, they want none of the work and all the benefits, fuck you and your kind.

Good for OP and fucking those retards, there is nothing more disgusting than grade whores.

>What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in Medical School, and I’ve been involved in numerous catheter insertions and digital fecal removals on senior citizens, and I have over 300 confirmed hours awake during residency. I am trained in academic dishonesty and I was the top brown noser in the entire US education system during undergrad. You are nothing to me but just another cuck that I beg for extra points from. I will wipe you the fuck out with numerous emails and office visits begging for extra credit the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of volunteer undergrad hospital slaves across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking done, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill your email and office hours with requests for extra credit in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in the art of begging for grades, but I have access to the entire arsenal of medical professionals and I will use it to its full extent to spam your miserable ass email off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. Your office hours will fill with all the other premeds, kiddo.

Wow man, sounds like you need help! Sure maybe cheating was not the appropriate term, as I should have used academic dishonesty.

Treed

microbio 2nd year masters haven't even gotten a full project and probably worked in lab doing most basic procedures for 10 hours total.
>fucking up writing design
>majorly fucking up in class designed around performing an experiment
>images due on 1st
>haven't even gotten design approved
>TA shit just more work
I'm slipping and fucking up hard for the first time really. not cut out for this this. just drank alone and did nothing all spring break. Too dumb and lazy for this shit. fuck kill me

dude

>lol look guys he wants the dosh how dare he lets fuck him as much as possible to the point of infringing the law
>lol user you can't complain in medicine they can fuck you all they want past the point of being illegal and get away with it

Go work for free then you fucking faggots. Why don't you set up a fucking free clinic and start giving away your "gift" if you're so passionate and selfless?

Medicine pays like fucking shit considering the hours you actually work. Do people tell you this? Fuck no. It's illegal and would lead to the shutdown of the residency program. Yet you're supposed to know this? Are you fucking nuts? This is shit my peers have been literally blackmailed over. "You wouldn't want this program shutdown, would you user? You might have trouble finding another..." You're actually defending this system, you indoctrinated robot?

Excuse me if I don't have any sympathy when some premed whores try to defraud points out of you. Get a taste of your own medicine you fucking faggots

I think you also need to visit another school after that for 2 years for your specialization, but it's not that hard. The only problems are the finals as far as I know.

>Why don't you set up a fucking free clinic and start giving away your "gift" if you're so passionate and selfless?
I actually work in a free clinic m8.

>I only care about money but don't want to work for it
Why not getting into another field retard? If money is what you look for medicine is the last place to get it easy

>Reading books doesn't directly translate into grades either. Does your teacher go to your library and make note of who's reading so he can give extra points later? Fuck no.

Many times my gunner classmates read the books from cover to cover only to discover the faggot teacher would only ask the random niche things he says directly in class and are nowhere to be found in any of the course references. Cue their indignation and frantic argumentation so they can invalidate those two questions that marred their perfect scores. Me? I'm smarter than that: I just record the guy and transcribe the audio later. I know better than to waste time "understanding" material rather than just say whatever it is you faggots want to hear.

This... this can't be real. This is satire right? Am I being trolled?

t. Math major

Of course you do. You just told me you're still in school.

Lol is that what you tell all those premeds you fuck over? That they've been busting ass all these years for nothing?

Medicine actually has plenty of options for people like me who don't enjoy overworking to their deaths. It's just that they aren't immediately apparent. Pretty much every doctor you meet asks you which specialty you want to go into, and you're fucked if it's not the same as their own. Misery absolutely adores company.

You think medicine is mathematics or something? Medicine is simply repetition. It's some kind of bulimic learning process where you stuff your head full of factoids and then vomit it all out on a shitty "exam" some jackass came up with. What you see in practice is but a fraction of what you have to suffer through in school, and that's what you'll end up remembering.

They call this bullshit "learning" and "understanding the material". How's that for some "academic dishonesty" ?

>How's that for some "academic dishonesty" ?
Not as bad as completing an exam. Having the exam returned to you, and thinking about
>muh points
Then erasing answers. Rewrite the erased answer that was WRONG with the correct answer. Email the TA about how the TA fucked up to cover your own ass for a better grade, all the while not knowing that the TA has a scanned/copied original version of the exam.

WEW LAD
E
W
L
A
D
That shit is textbook academic dishonesty. It's cool though bro. My dog needs her anal glands drained every year. Thank you for your sacrifice, so that I don't need to endure that smell. Maybe one day you'll make veterinarian of the year.

Nice trips!

>This... this can't be real. This is satire right? Am I being trolled?
A lot of majors do not require the amount of reading that a math major requires. We are often made fun of, but the same people that make fun of us have no idea and would drop a basic "proof writing" class in days, even if they had the prereqs, if they knew the amount of effort required to complete a math degree.

>Iel I don't have to learn shit, just puke everything in the exam, that's what makes me a doctor!
You are one of thousands of retards who become internist and don't know shit about anything and just fucking up everything that they touch, it's retards like you who kill people for thinking they can just spend five years playing the smartass.

>This... this can't be real. This is satire right? Am I being trolled?
It's not, this is the kind of brutes and sociopaths that get to tend your ass when you are dying. It's a good thing a computer algorithm can do all their "hard work".

There is no premed in my country but these people are always trying to get into medicine because "muh money and respect", in my uni a group of fuckers stole the final grades of a curse in thanatology from the uni office because they got a worse grade than the other classrooms hoping they would have to make the exam again. One even said that the class was unless if he couldn't use it to inflate his grade.

Pathetic really.

Hey I hate those fucking gunner faggots as much as you do. They just annoy you, but they fuck over other actual students much harder.

But really, get off the high horse. The educational system breeds antisocial people like this because that's what it takes to win in those conditions. You fuck over premeds for lying to you? They'll just figure out new ways to get their grades. It's what they do.

? I got good grades doing that "smartass" act, matched into the specialty I actually liked, am currently studying the things I actually care about with zero frivolous bullshit, and there isn't a single asshole "professor" in sight. The end is near. I dunno about you but my patients are very much alive and pretty satisfied.

Best of all I probably did it with half the work YOU put in! Fuck I always loved making those gunner faggots do all the work for me just so they could "shine" and get a 10% higher grade. Whatever floats your boat...

Yeah, call me when empathy and not being a sociopath are traits that contribute to your grade. Last time I checked they didn't. Hell even if they did, sociopaths would just fake them. The system can't tell the difference.

And you're correct that computer algorithms can do much of what's expected from doctors. Even really old expert systems were proven to be more accurate in controlled tests. Why aren't they used? Regulation and legal barriers. I'm actually looking to land a job on that front so I can contribute expert knowledge and improve algorithms.

>And you're correct that computer algorithms can do much of what's expected from doctors. Even really old expert systems were proven to be more accurate in controlled tests. Why aren't they used? Regulation and legal barriers. I'm actually looking to land a job on that front so I can contribute expert knowledge and improve algorithms.

This sounds pretty interesting user. Im wondering why there are regulations and legal barriers surrounding that

In my school we write exams in pen and half the time we don't even get them back.

Because at some point in the last century the medical associations were granted legal power to regulate medicine. This was the birth of the "rich doctors who love the money" meme by the way. Before that, anybody could be a doctor and wages were at an all-time low.

Anyway, they basically decide what's right and wrong for doctors. Back in the last century, before A.I. lost all credibility with investors, some diagnostic support systems were created and data was compiled that showed they did about as well as or better than doctors for all supported conditions. But their usage by someone who isn't a doctor is essentially illegal practice of medicine so they became tools for medics. Now they're somewhat obscure but people are still working on this stuff. Machine learning is breathing new life into A.I. and with electronic medical records being ubiquitous we have fucktons of data available to work with.

Technology will keep moving on user. Whether these factoid-memorizing medical dinosaurs like it or not, it doesn't matter. It's already happening. Telemedicine is already big in radiology and pathology, they work from home with zero patient contact and get paid per slide. And it will only get better from there.

One day, you simply won't have to learn as much useless bullshit to be a doctor. You will have proven tools, and you will trust them. And that's a wonderful thing.

>One day, you simply won't have to learn as much useless bullshit to be a doctor. You will have proven tools, and you will trust them. And that's a wonderful thing.

That does sound wonderful, thanks for the interesting reply

saw someone looking at their neighbor's exam really obviously on our last exam, but brainfarted and didn't think to separate the two

the cheater has a zero right now until they manage to argue their way to their assessed grade (still a failing grade)

>anybody could be a doctor and wages were at an all-time low.
quality of medical care was also at an all-time low

Yes. Scientific principles were introduced by that regulatory change. Evidence-based medicine was barely a thing and any quack could pitch their snake oils to customers. Lots of competition

We live in a different world now. A world whose medical schools forced me to memorize gigantic lookup tables in order to "learn" the treatment of diabetes. There's so much evidence available for diabetes we already have actual algorithms, medical programs, in place for dealing with it. Just plug the goddamn patient data in. It's so stupid a computer could do it. Sure, there are special cases and things to watch out for, but they're finite. It just means there's one less thing I need to learn, so I can focus my brain power on more important stuff. One less gigantic table to cram.

So why doesn't the computer do it? It certainly can... The truth is these regulators won't let it do shit unless a doctor is there to "interpret" the results. Wow, a bunch of startup-founding, visionary technologists? In MY healthcare industry? Eroding my power? Not if I have a say! But it's already happening...

If I got a dollar for every time one of my peers fired up a "medical calculator", looked up the dose of some drug or just literally googled diseases straight up, I'd be fucking rich already! Yet medical students are expected to just know this bullshit minutiae by heart? These fucking "exams" aren't representarive of real world conditions where you can just look things up if in doubt. Unless it's a life or death situation where seconds matter, having a general idea of things is enough for most cases and you can easily fill in the blanks. After a while, your brain will cache the common information. Also, with telemedicine you can easily consult a specialist and get his medical opinion in record time.

THAT's what medics have trouble dealing with. They see a tool that helps them do more while knowing less and they see it as an affront against medicine itself.

>am grad student, take theory class
>other grad student (P) takes class with me
>we're both supposed to be theoreticians
>P is misogynistic to female faculty, generally unprofessional and physically unpleasant (licks lips while being spoken to, etc.)
>always asks me how to do homework, spent upwards of half an hour a week with this idiot explaining basic concepts
>never actually show P homework since I suspect he'll snapshot/copy it or something

>fourth week of class, professor shows up angry
>P copied other student's homework and professor noticed
>noticed because he copied it line by line, using same variables
>they were both reprimanded officially (details unknown)

So glad I avoided making a dumb decision. That other student probably just thought he was being nice and expected him to use his homework to get over some misstep P made in his problem but now he has to deal with having a permanent mark on his GRAD expedient that he cheated. Yecch.

Hope the nice guy didn't get fucked over like that. That'd just be a real dick move by the school. If people are going to copy homework, at least have the sense to not make a 1:1 copy for god's sake.

My bad. Called you a tard earlier but that was before you conflated the individual act of cheating with the systemic problems of medical education.

I suppose statanon could bother changing the institutions he reproduces, but it also seems out of anyone's hands. The system statanon reproduces is the one that makes giving premeds Fs satisfying. And it's the same one that pushes premeds to academic dishonesty. It'd be difficult to change the structure without all agents involved, especially the ones with more power.

What did you find most important when you were in medschool?

I know this is all premed shit, but I recently had to deal with graduates cheating.

>last semester, mixed 400/500 photonics class
>one TA for midterm
>he leaves the room
>kids are passing papers back and forth (they already were known for copying homework constantly)
>nothing happens
>report to online Ethics system
>apparently it was so new my department didn't even know about it
>despite putting my name and contact down (they do allow for anonymity) they just asked the TA and teacher and called it a day, literally without asking any students to come forward

>last month, something set me off, so I report the Ethics people to themselves for being such garbage at their job
>contacted by director of my undergraduate program, that's how I learned nothing happened from the last report
>said "that's disgusting, if I see them again I'll hurt them"
>I became the problem
>called in, co-director gives me long sob story that they try hard to stop cheaters, and supposedly literally at least half of one of my previous classes was copying homework off the internet
>co-director shows me an email detailing some department stuff, including that they take cheating seriously
>email is sent more than two weeks late, it literally says we should go to the job fair which happened more than 10 days previous
I can't take higher education seriously at all. From the rich spoiled kids to cheaters and horrible bureaucracy, it's all just a joke.
>when kids GOING INTO THEIR FUCKING MBA were just giving other students data from labs because the others were too shit to do it right
>when a student would just walk up to like 10 people and say "so who has my homework for X class?"
>when my school is actually said to be a good institution and is known for producing "competent" graduates

>in my uni a group of fuckers stole the final grades of a curse in thanatology
>curse in thanatology
lemme guess, the prof involved was Professor Hix? at Unseen University in Ankh-Morpork?

>change

Well I agree that it's out of everybody's hands. This results in premeds being pissed at the system and trying to game it, and the system being pissed at them and trying to fuck them over. Not a pretty sight. It continues on in medical school too.

The key to change is getting rid of this hypercompetition. It's just bullshit and meaningless and just isn't necessary. Family medicine is actually one of the greatest things ever invented in medicine; the entire thing is built around the "20% of the work gives you 80% of the results" idea. It's efficient from an educational point of view and would result in more doctors for everyone. Sadly, it just doesn't pay as well and everybody treats you like you're still a wet medical student. Off to radiology everybody goes...

>What did you find most important

Without a doubt, the classes where I actually practiced medicine in the clinic and hospital.

It was a lot easier to look at the patient and see what's going on for myself, than it was to cram the stuff. Similarly, by treating those problems enough times, eventually it became second nature to me.