Is Mark Twain just a meme or what? Which of his works should I read?

Is Mark Twain just a meme or what? Which of his works should I read?

Veeky Forums, pls

Einstein should have stuck with physics

Good one, user!

Huck Finn and stop there. Anything else in that prose of his is just tiresome after a point, you can check out Tom Sawyer if you want but you've probably outgrown that one by now

>Huck Finn

I recall reading Tom Sawyer when I was younger. Doesn't the stories of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn take place in the same universe? Is Huck Finn comfy?

Guck Finn is in Tom Sawyer and Tom Sawyer is in Huck Finn. There's some good stuff in Huck Finn I'd recommend giving it a once-over, just don't expect anything groundbreaking. It's fun.

Try reading his short stories and articles. The early stuff is mostly folksy yarns and tall tales with a real knack for voices and accents. His later stuff belongs with Melville's short masterworks.

The Jumping Frog, A Curious Dream, Some Learned Fables, A Curious Experience, The Diary of Adam and Eve, The £100,000 Bank-Note are all good, and The Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg and The Mysterious Stranger are some of the best short stories I've ever read by an American (not that his nationality should be a qualifier, but instead for the sake of focus).

Thanks bro

I guess today I'll be buying a collection of his short stories.

>wrong

Tom Sawyer is worth a read and necessary to get the most out of Huck Finn.

Huck Finn references Tom Sawyer the book at the beginning. You need them both for contrast. Plus Sawyer is a light hearted easy read, who says you can't read for fun.

"Roughing It" is fun.

Bump

any other suggestions?

What this guy said. I didn't like Sawyer nor Huck that much, they are more like books you would read to your children. His short stories and essays are pretty good and funny though.

Mysterious stranger.

The McWilliamses, The Belated Russian Passport, and Extracts from Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven were favourites of mine.

I've always really loved Twain, you should read all his novels and short stories.

I have fond memories of reading A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

It's interesting how many myths he accidentally created while venting his hatred for Walter Scott.

the adventures of huckleberry finn. I love all his aphorisms and etc stuff too. he has been downgraded to charming flufff, which he is not. not for kids.

he is too good a writer to be stuck on the "same universe" stuff that many novelists are now. huck finn is high literature, period, drop the mike. tom saywer is charming stories to be read to children.