People actually think this shitbox can survive lunar reentry

>people actually think this shitbox can survive lunar reentry
Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

msnwllc.com/space-technology
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They're not using Dragon 1 you idiot.

That is what it looks like after going through the atmosphere. What else than circlejerk makes your retarded brain think it won't make it?

people like to meme on the shuttle tiles but aren't they (or something like them) basically required for any true future spacecraft?

even with a heatshield, you can't have the thermal blankets covering everything else getting scorched on every landing and needing replaced after 1 or 2 flights

Why were all tiles supposedly special? Couldn't they design it around "generic tile" that is easily replaceable?

Why not? There's always been plenty of thickness left on the heat shield after return from LEO.

people died
no one cried

the shuttle was a funky shape

they could probably use modern software to design a system with only 1 or two tile types needed

nobody died because of shuttle tiles m8

Are you just shitposting or can you not understand the difference between Dragon 1 and Dragon 2?
I'd give you a hint, there is something in the numbers...

the tps remains unchanged in v2

I honestly don't see why not.
Do you have insider knowledge that would suggest otherwise?
Is it because the paint has gone to shit?
Maybe you're suggesting they should heatshield the whole thing?
Why the fuck would they do that?

Does this look more safe to you?

>capsule that survived lunar reentry 50 years ago vs capsule that barely survived leo reentry today

>they could probably use modern software to design a system with only 1 or two tile types needed

nigga do you really think you're going to fly through space in an Archimedean solid

I don't know. I don't have any frame of reference to compare it against. What does a 'safe' capsule look like and how do I identify safe from unsafe looking capsules?

Based on my experience with Kerbal Space Program the hypothetical astronaut inside is not stranded in space with no food or air, nor dead. So that's good.

>people like to meme on the shuttle tiles but aren't they (or something like them) basically required for any true future spacecraft?
They were shitty, fragile, hard-to-install things that needed very expensive maintenance after each flight. A major part of the shuttle's bullshit reusability that cost more in refurbishment than building a new expendable rocket.

Another option they considered (especially during early concepts) was to use a solid metal heat shield, but this was too heavy for the final performance requirement. Other proposed vehicles would use a one-piece ceramic heat shield. The heat shielding requirement can be much less if the vehicle uses a high-lift entry (the shuttle did more of a belly flop).

In keeping with their gradual expendable-to-reusable style, SpaceX has been working to evolve ablative heat shielding into something more like a self-healing carbon-carbon heat shield, with minimal wear per re-entry. As they describe it, "like a brakepad". PICA is carbon fiber impregnated with resin. As the resin boils off, it can deposit pyrolitic carbon on the fiber at the surface, forming an insulating shell. PICA-X is designed to maximize this effect.

Carbon-carbon is what the shuttle used for the higher-temperature parts of its heat shielding, like the nose and wing leading edges. Columbia was lost when tank insulation hit the wing, shatting the brittle carbon-carbon surface. If it was self-healing like PICA-X, it would only have broken up the outer layer, and grown a new one during re-entry from the resilient resin-impregnated carbon fiber. (however, any amount of ablation complicates the aerodynamics, so it's more suitable for simple capsule designs, although DreamChaser is using an ablative heat shield)

The shuttle didn't have truly flat areas on it, and wasn't a regular shape, so each tile had to be uniquely fitted to its place.

What actual evidence do you have that the Dragon Capsule "Barely survived" reentry today?

There is no reentry on the moon due to lack of atmosphere. Try again.

What will spacex do about the 70% of its Mars space ship that isn't covered in pica?

If nothing then it will get roasted like dragon does and not be reusable.

>the tps remains unchanged in v2
I don't think that's accurate. They're using the third generation of PICA-X for Dragon 2. Cargo Dragon started with the first-generation PICA-X, then they upgraded it to second-generation PICA-X. They had to hire people to develop the heat shield, and they're useful for production and quality control, so they just kept them around and had them research how to make it better.

Look man, Reentry is gonna beat up your craft, whatever you do.

they switched to the current gen pica several flights ago

>roasted like dragon does
Uh... Dragon just gets dirty, not "roasted". It's basically smudged with soot from the ablative heat shield.

They use a thinner "cork" heat shielding for everything that's not the leading side, and anything that's not covered by it (like the windows or rocket nozzles) is otherwise designed to tolerate the much lesser heating.

it's literally ablative paint you retard

how are you going to fix that shit up on the surface of Mars?

bring cans of new paint

>lunar reentry
found the shitposting retard

What's a lunar reentry? I know what a normal one is, but I didn't know it was a problem for lunar landings.

They don't need to fix it up, after it's landed, it's fine for another re-entry.

It's a reentry returning from a lunar flyby or lunar orbit.

SpaceX is planning a manned lunar flyby next year.

Trump tweeted it. Right after the wiretapping-tweet.

>It's a reentry returning from a lunar flyby or lunar orbit.

And thus comes in much faster than a reentry from LEO.

>much faster than a reentry from LEO.
Somewhat faster. 11 km/s vs. 8 km/s. Less than double the kinetic energy to convert to heat energy.

Guidance is probably a larger worry than heat shielding. When you come in from LEO, your entry angle is naturally going to be shallow and determined by the amount of propellant you use in your braking burn. If you come back from a moon flyby (or come in from an interplanetary launch), you've got to aim for that shallow entry. If you splash straight down, not only will the heating be extremely high as you plunge into thicker and thicker atmosphere, but the deceleration forces will be tremendous and crew will turn to chunky tomato sauce.

>lunar reentry

They are launching it from the moon and landing it back on the moon?

That's a pretty large percentage change, from 8 to 11 kps. "Less than double" is also a pretty significant change.

They're going to try to orbit the moon...

With two civilians and no trained crew!

>crew will turn to chunky tomato sauce
I swear, my dream of sending up FlatEarthers and watching their world shatter as they enter orbit is only becoming more and more appealing

>I know what people actually think
No, you do not.

Why not? Zero friction = zero shits given.

>I swear, my dream of sending up FlatEarthers and watching their world shatter as they enter orbit is only becoming more and more appealing
If/when orbital and cislunar spaceflight becomes affordable for the commoner, flatearther or otherwise, I strongly expect a mass mindset change in the population at large. It'll be fun to watch.

>I strongly expect a mass mindset change in the population at large.

I expect, given the mountains of evidence that they can already ignore, you may be overestimating the impact of additional helpings of the same evidence.

Can we please stop this meme of talking about flat-earthers as if they're actually serious and not attention-whoring faggots?

>braking burn
What?
No such thing.

Jesus christ it's atmospheric reentry guys,of course it's beat up afterwards. That's 100% normal.

Oh, wow, those simpletons at SpaceX designed a spacecraft but forgot to calculate if it will be able to withstand heat and aerodynamic forces of reentry, luckily OP is here to set them straight.
What a dumb fuck you are.

>Mars entry
Wow, it's fucking nothing.

This.

>Oh no, a breeze.

>bleeding off 9km/s is nothing

This is essentially right-mars's atmospheric density is around 1% of earth's. You still get friction from it, but it's nothing like punching through earth's atmosphere.

99.8% of heating on Earth reentry happens at an altitude less dense than Mars's atmosphere

You know they aren't relying on aerobraking for this, right?

85% of it is aerobraking

They are using it for a good chunk of it, personally i think they should incorporate this tech into the ship

msnwllc.com/space-technology

You can bleed off a ton of speed a lot earlier in your reentry and minimize stress on the spacecraft. A few dozen circuit of the planet and now you're going way slower

No, its black. According to Veeky Forums this means that its cucked, SpaceX is btfo, Musk is a moneygrabbing fraud in charge of a pyramid scheme, the earth is shaped like a trombone and not round and global warming is fake because it snowed in Wyoming desember of 1836

>lol it looks slightly charred on the exterior
>Obviously not spaceworthy, checkmate atheists

>the earth is shaped like a trombone
wrong

clearly Veeky Forums is in the wrong because they aren't sucking musk's cock like everyone else

Kek

>>braking burn
>What?
>No such thing.
It would more usually be called a "deorbit burn", but "braking" is appropriate because it's a burn to reduce speed.

When you're in LEO, and you want to return to Earth, you have to use rockets to slow yourself down and lower your perigee into the atmosphere. Then drag slows you down the rest of the way.

You don't need to do that from the moon though

>They're going to try to orbit the moon...
No, it's just a free-return flyby. They will be going out further than anyone else has done, though, so it'll be a new altitude record for manned flight.

>With two civilians and no trained crew!
The "civilians" will undergo training, and therefore will be the trained crew.

Anyway, "trained crew" are of essentially no use in a flight like this. The idea that astronauts ever needed to be "the best of the best" was a joke from the beginning.

Yeah, unless you fucked up and end up with a ballistic entry, you basically pick the air density you want to bleed off the speed at, by controlling your entry angle and using lift.

Those capsules are actively steered during entry, using the RCS thrusters. Mostly to maintain lift, but it also lets you target a landing area.

One of the good things about Dragon's relatively blunt shape is that it's simple to switch between downward "lift" and upward lift, which is good for interplanetary aerobraking, since you can steer downward to prevent a skip. However, with a broader shape like Orion, closer to a flying saucer, you can get more lift and therefore a gentler entry.

Ballistic (unsteered) entry is much more severe. Uncomfortable for the crew, you lose your control over where you land, and with a higher risk of something going wrong.

Come on, man.
>When you come in from LEO, your entry angle is naturally going to be shallow and determined by the amount of propellant you use in your braking burn.

user, it survived reentry into Earth

That's a million times harder

if you build it in space why not just make a giant cylinder?

>nobody died because of shuttle tiles m8

Columbia was destroyed on reentry because the tiles were damaged during the launch several days previously because the tiles were extremely fragile and brittle pieces of shit.

Does this look like a tile to you?
Idiot.

What happened to the solar panels?

cause a sphere is much more awesome

>Implying we would be the ones proven wrong

>Brakes
>In space

What's wrong with this idiot?

I think that OP is trying to say is that since reentry from lunar orbit occurs from much higher up, that the vehicle will be going much faster on reentry.