Why have I not met any chem majors that love Chemistry?

Why have I not met any chem majors that love Chemistry?

Because Chemistry is boring. Most people go into it because they're told they'll be the first trillionaire if they find a way to synthesize oil easily

I love Chemistry, I get how some people get scared by brainlet courses but the applications I find from my education is endless, and it makes me wonder from reading a previous thread about premed students going in these programs for money, is there any altruism left in science, is the majority of our generation of new scientists just in it for self gain rather than the benefit of humanity and life as a whole?

Because it's just rote memorization and the only people attracted to it are unoriginal faggots, and women.

Idk bro, I do genetics and biochem and I get what you mean. A lot of people seem to just be going through the motions, meanwhile I'm constantly reading about advances and updates in medical treatments and the exploration of the earth's microbiome

you think most people do chemistry for fun? you haven't yet met the magical 1% that genuinely loves chemistry yet

Could be for a few reasons. First, chemistry is going to have a decent amount of pre-meds. Pre-meds don't like chemistry or even give a shit about science, but they chose chemistry because it would prep them for med school.

Second, when it comes to kids actually interested in the field, keep in mind that chemistry is very broad (it's the central science), and at the undergraduate level there's really only going to be a survey of various sub-disciplines of chemistry. After gen chem + lab, O-chem + lab, then intermediate classes (p-chem, a-chem, biochem, inorganic), there only are two or three classes left for the degree. So, there's not much room for specialization. But, that's what grad school is for.

>chemistry is the central science

Personal gain is more important because too many fell for the humanity meme and they suffered for it.

Chemistry is the most unfun boring science and almost everyone finds it hard to get good grades in it compared to physics or biology or even maths. Chemistry is really fucking hard. I've seen more people fail it than pass it.

>chemistry is really hard

It really isn't though, physics is much harder since it's abstract af when it comes to quantum mechanics. Chem is just memorizing shit, and it's pretty fun if you're into alks

It's still harder than physics in my opinion because blind memorization is harder than understanding concepts.

Because there's too many biocucks, engineers and material scientists diluting the true chemists. If you aren't interested in mechanisms and structures at the molecular scale you aren't really a chemist.

>Because it's just rote memorization and the only people attracted to it are unoriginal faggots, and women.

oh hey, it's you again

Well it is harder in the sense that doing blind memorization makes you want to kill yourself, so you won't study at all. This is why I think law or medicine is probably harder to study than mathematics, at least with access to easy suicide methods.

I took british law in high school for 6 months and found it fun compared to science. I left it because of my disdain for humanities

pre med faggots.

Though I don't understand why you would want to study chemistry when physics is a much more exciting, deep, and diverse subject.
t-mathfag

Undergrads, I swear

I went into grad school because I sorta liked doing research in undergrad and I knew I wouldn't get anywhere in like with a chem BSc.

Grad school is fucking amazing. Projects you are doing that you never even thought were possible will blow your mind. I've seen shit you literally wouldn't believe. They hide all the awesome parts of chemistry during undergrad. Unless you work in a lab on a project owned by you, it isn't anywhere near as fun.

>I disdain things that are fun to me
wait what?

I like mind-blowing stories, please share some.

No, fuck you undergrad faggot

I am considering going into chemistry even though I am just interested in biology

Only Walter White loves chemistry. Everyone else is just pretending.

>tfw biochemistry
I-I like my field

stop lying

There is no money in biology, what am I supposed to do?

Im boutta start a phd in orgo. I like chem now but ill prob start hating it

I like biology and chemistry
>Thinking theres money in chem with only a BS
Majority of stem fields which arent heavy on practical math require a MS or higher to get money. Also dont study something youll regret.

correct

We are talking about chemistry as a subject, not the introduction to chemistry class you took in high-school you fucking underage retard.

BSc level there is even less money in chemistry senpai

I like chem but I'm not a chem major.

isn't it because chemistry is more basic than physics?

I mean, physics creates rules about occurances underlying chemistry. wasn't making a science joke
thus a person who knows all of physics will know all of chemistry, but a person who knows all of chemistry won't necessarily know all of physics

but maybe I hold a misconception

I work in an inorganic lab so we regularly use organolithium reagents. one of the senior grad students demonstrated what t-butyl lithium looks like in air. imagine holding a syringe, pressing on the plunger, and spraying fire into the back of your fume hood. incredible.

labmate was doing a high pressure reaction in a flask not meant for it overnight over a hotplate. he was aware of the risk and put a blast shield in front of it. came back the next morning and there was no flask, a fucking CRATER in the hot plate, a fucking HOLE IN THE BLAST SHIELD, and nothing but dust remained of the flask. that must have been like a bomb going off.

I work at E.A.T.&E.A.R.N., the imaginary four chambered superhot;supercooled;centrifgual;collider