I want to make eclairs but I don't have a pastry bag. Would filling them with a turkey baster work?

I want to make eclairs but I don't have a pastry bag. Would filling them with a turkey baster work?

snip a corner off of a ziploc bag or something, you're not going to squeeze much filling out of a baster unless you can improvise a plunger

You can cut them open lengthwise and fill them using a spoon. The pastry cream will help "glue" it back together.

It could work but I think you'll have better luck using a normal plastic bag with one corner cut off.

I'm afraid that it won't be stiff enough to get it inside the eclair and I'd just end up blowing my cream all over the outside.

Use a solid object like a chopstick, butter knife, the handle of a spoon, etc, to make a hollow channel first. Then fill.

In what way is a pastry bag stiff?

The tip.

Those are for piping icing ya dingus.
You don't need them for a cream filling.

>I'm afraid that it won't be stiff enough to get it inside the eclair and I'd just end up blowing my cream all over the outside

buy a pastry bag then.

or just get a set of tips, then do this and put the tip inside the snipped-off corner of the bag before filling it up.

>piping icing

That's just one of many uses for a pastry bag. They're also used to fill hollow foods like eclairs or profiteroles, to dispense butter or mashed potatoes in a decorative fashion, etc. I've even seen them used to stuff sausages (assuming you're making only a small amount, of course).

You're an idiot. He's talking specifically about the piping tips.

Some prefer that

Yes. I know it might damage your pathetic little brain, but those same tips can be used for other purposes too.

Yeah... and you use tips for those things. Tips are not just for icing.

>Would filling them with a turkey baster work?
People use turkey basters for all kinds of things.

Here we go with mashed potatoes. Where is your god now?

That's not relevant at all.
He thought he needed piping tips to fill a pastry, which he doesn't.

>>He thought he needed piping tips to fill a pastry, which he doesn't.

I'm well aware. That's why I told him to just cut the corner off a plain plastic bag.

But it's absurd to assert that the only use for tips is for icing. While I agree it's not required, it is certainly common to use a hard tip on a pastry bag to fill various pastries.

Just get a fucking bag. A simple tip with a single round opening and one or two disposable piping bags from a bulk food store will probably set you back less than the ingredients you need to make eclairs and take zero skill to use. I avoided anything that called for a bag for years until I realized this

Do you not have a marinade syringe?

You don't have to worry about plan b if that happens.

This thread is lewd.

That's a secret people don't want you to know: baking is lewd.

He wants to fill eclairs not marinate them you retard.