Group Portrait With Lady
The School for Atheists
Hiroshima

You fell for a marketing ploy lmao

normie

up the punx

stack. not black Friday.

epic stack bro

hope u find some more books to take pictures of in the future, it just looks awesome the way you stack them!

>notes on the cinematograph
>not green integer

Fckkkk does that mean my green integer copy no longer goes for $100?

from today and Wednesday.

>black clouds of death
>not black friday

probably not.

Don't see why you wouldn't get the NYRB version regardless. They also put out a hardcover Bresson on Bresson

Went to the library
$0
A really good deal imo

4/4
17/160
1/4
4/7
3/5

This isn't /g/ or something, Black Friday has not much to do with books. 10% off at best.

if you plan on returning those don't even bother reading them, it's pointless

Alright, r8 h8 and appreci8 my memes.

Which translation of Brothers?

I recommend Jack Zipes.

Why?

Is that Nostromo abridged?

excellent picks

V is one of my top 5 for sure, have fun.

>marx
lel why are commies such basic bitches

Constance Garnett

It was printed in '64, published by New American Library and has like 448 pages. My mostly uneducated guess is no.

the recognitions is very good, but you probably already knew that

My body isn't ready m8. But I'll read it eventually.

>muh austrians

P&V twice.

Consider coming sudoku son.

I'm reading the Maude edition of W&P now and my first impressions are good, though two problems I have are with the French footnote translations which are not exact translations of the French in the text, and how they butchered one of the best quotes early in the book. Maude's translation of the quote (P&V) - “Nothing is so necessary for a young man as the company of intelligent women.” is “Nothing is so necessary for a society man as the society of clever women.”

BTW, P&V for Dostoevsky is good. They are objectively the best translators for his work.

-1 moonrunes
-1 short stories
+1 Pinecone
-1 food
+1 Faulkboy
-1 Ishitguro
+2 better recognize

4/8

I posted at the end of last thread.

I am a casual who is trying to read more. I wanted some entry level classics. Went to my local charity shop and in a small sections next to all the fad books I found these. Pretty happy with it.

After I cleared them out of lit stuff I recognised I wondered if all charity shops were like this. Nope. Visited 3 more today and there was nothing but shelves of trash. I saw the same Jeremy Clarkson book in all 3.

Jesus, how 12 are you.

Oh give the guy a break, if he's just starting that's not too bad.
1984 and Clockwork Orange are both solid/10.

I know, it is funny. My family think some kid doing an english course must have dropped them off.

Gotta get them under my belt at some point though, and I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy them.

>They are objectively the best translators for his work

Lel no.

I have the same dante but in softcover; didn't even know it came in hardcover.

Very nice.

Can someone decide for a newcomer about what to read next out of the following:
The Trial
American Psycho
The Sound and The Fury
Blood Meridian
A Wild Sheep Chase

The Sound and The Fury is literature kino.
Read that.

Ok. Thanks.

Because Sappho, Sebald, and Bresson is basic bitch tier.

And I haven't read enough Marx to honestly call myself a Marxist.

lol crying over castros death you commie faggot?

Th-thanks, sempai.

I've read American Psycho and Blood Meridian, the short stories of Kafka and Murakami books (but not the one you mentioned) and I would start with A Wild Sheep Chase. I really love The Sound and The Fury from what I've read of it so far but I haven't finished it because I have motivational/attention problems reading. It's really comfy and reads in a very disturbing manner. You should try it first to see what you think and maybe finish it if you can but regardless I recommend the Murakami book next.

Here's what I got from my Goodwill on Black Friday. I also got the Satanic Verses in beautiful paperback with this cover: images.gr-assets.com/books/1281988101l/12781.jpg

This ran me 20 dollars

fix'd

Oh fuck off. He admitted he's casual and that they're entry level.

Steppenwolf isn't really that entry level high school at all. The other ones I read all in high school.

These are all good books except I don't really care for 1984.

>The Sound and the Fury
>comfy

The Sound and the Fury is marvelous and one of the GOAT novels, but how in the actual hell is it "comfy?" It's unnerving, depressing and as you said disturbing. How is that comfy.

Comfy is like Murakami: Rain, jazz records, cats and mystery.

Garnett's translations are the definitive English versions of Tolstoy's works.

>Rule 34
Is the book actually about Rule 34?

Yes.

I've caught the cosmology bug o 3o after I came back from Hawaii.

Non-fiction kick edition

>sagan

>tyson

meme science actually gets eaten up by people.

I happen to think Sagan and Tyson are very beautiful speakers. And advocation of science to a general audience isn't a bad thing either.

It's just one of those things where someone is hated because they have a lot of obnoxious fans, which Sagan-Tyson do. Veeky Forums is very good at this. Tyson is also extra hated because he's black.

But just because neckbeard fedoras worship them doesn't mean they're not okay.

It's the same thing I hear about Krauss too. I'm okay with being associated with those people because they're just not me.

Did you know that if you kill yourself today there'll be one less weeboo in the world?

Fuck Tyson. Science shouldn't be put on a pedestal.

T. Pope

quality post

And but so

haha

But I like life, user.

>Dazai
>weeb shit

Is Don Quixote good?

Is it Don Key-hoe-tay, or Don Quick-sote?

Don Key-Shot

Don Quizotuh

>The adventures of Don-Quitonda and Sanchavius

I have that same illustrated Decameron and The Painted Bird is great, I don't care who wrote it or how true it is or whatever.

Other Rooms; Other Voices-Capote
Rosshalde-Herman Hesse
Lost Illusions-Balzac
Eugine Onegin-Pushkin

I get the impression Balzac is incredibly underrated around here, I've never really seen people mention his work outside of joking about his name. Also how is Rosshalde as my second Hesse novel?

War in peace is better the second time you read it, but even better if you immediately read a different copy.

I like where you're headed with this. Everytime I see a kid reading in public its always book 3 of 7 of "the dragonschlong odyssey" or some such shit. I cant wait until Trump enlists Veeky Forums for his plebian re-education death squads.

Whenever I go into my charity shop I just see a bunch of shitty, mass market detective novels or nothing but bad paranormal romance series. I've found a couple good things in the classic sections but they never really seem to branch out much of the Shakespeare, Dickens, Austin, Bronte, Trollope, etc.

was there even any good black friday deals for books. every place had like 30% a single fucking book. so what was the point?

It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing my hobbies piss people off.

>spending money on cumbersome physical books
>not buying an e-reader and downloading all of your books
>not having so many books you have to store them on external drives

Enjoy your expensive physical book collections, buddies.

>Selimović

non ex-yu fags actually read his stuff? How well does the poetry translate? Here he is a circlejerk among young teenage girls who put "deep" quotes from his books to facebook cover pictures and act all sophisticated

Don Kwyjibo

>Here he is a circlejerk among young teenage girls who put "deep" quotes from his books to facebook cover pictures and act all sophisticated

the only reason I still haven't read anything his

Don Caballero

kek

>The Last Samurai
>Coetzee

Good taste.

I will, thanks.

ebooks are fedora tier
my book collection gets me laided

Don Kuribo

Ugh.

I love penguin stuff personally and Steinbeck/Conrad

It will take you a while

These look like abridged editions

Implying that he isn't going to buy those books anyways. Why wouldn't he save himself money?

That OMAM and Great Gatsby look about right. The others could easily be that size if the text is small

>enjoys Dazai
>I like life
>implying

5/5 basic bitch
6/9 dat djuna
tips/6
partymonster/4
1/2 oy vey

What Are your reasons for having a few books in a stack separate from your bookshelf?

>my book collection gets me laided

Falling for the "EVERYTHINGS ON SALE" line

underrated post

I can't speak for anyone else, but I often keep a stack of books that I either haven't gotten around to putting away yet or I want to have on hand, like if it's a poetry book that I've slowly been going through in between reading other works, or if I'm reading multiple things at the same time. I also keep my valuable collector's books separate from my others to keep them safe.