So....is this shit really that good

Hamilton

or is it meme tier now?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=29Mg6Gfh9Co
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>"I'm totally here for a serious discussion btw!"

people act like its the next big thing.,..just wondering if its all its hyped up to be?

Mike "Electro-Shock Men Who Like Cock" Pence

To libs it is merely another opportunity to virtue-signal.
>look at how progressive and tolerant I am I love this broadway musical that replaced all those stuffy old fucking white males with vibrant People of Colorâ„¢

The only good thing to come from Hamilton is more people listening to clipping.

WE ARE OUTGUNNED
OUTMANNED
OUT NUMBERED OUTPLANNED

Not Veeky Forums, it's an ok album especially the death of his son. It is on spotify. It reminds me of shirty pop history in music form. Huge bias obviously

I've never bothered ever looking into this play. From what I've seen, its about minorities playing as the founding fathers and whites playing as slaves. I duno, sounds kind of cliched.

it's a meme but that doesn't make it bad. it does get misinterpreted though: Hamilton himself is an ass, and his treasury plan would nowadays be considered conservative. the use of non-white actors to represent white founders is meant to denote their rebelliousness and differentiation from the british culture (see: king george) and got them a whole lot of press.

the musical itself? uses and exhibits a black mode of expression which it presents as new and cool to present ambiguous actions. you can read it any way you like.

Outside the stupid racial stuff, the music and vocal talent, esp burr, is really quite good

whereas to neocons it is merely another opportunity to signal opposition
>look at how regressive and intolerant I am I hate this broadway musical that attempts to humanize the founders who made america great

>I hate this broadway musical that attempts to humanize the founders who made america great
This is not at all the disagreement people have with it.

>I don't know what neocon means
Then just don't use the term, retard

And it has started.

Get the infographics ready, boys

Lolhow

its pretty light and easy to watch but good for teaching.

burn is good but I just really dislike the "erasing myself from the narrative" even though normally I happily masturbate to metatextuality. the three notes of narr-a-tive and the conceit of her deliberately choosing to not have her story told make it feel too thought out. I mean ideally for me she would have come on stage, started a monologue, stopped, faced away, and just taken the kids and left the stage.

repairing their marriage: Hamilton singing to her from onstage and slowly lures her back from offstage.

people mistake the cabinet battles as being about cool rap - they're supposed to read as Hamilton overstepping his bounds and being an ass, pushing too hard to justify himself and reaching for lines that almost but don't quite work imho

I unironically love Satisfied.

You know that dead sitcom gag where the flowery theater teacher tries to get bored high schoolers interested in Shakespeare by putting on a modern day, hip hop version of Romeo and Juliet? That's exactly what Hamilton always reminds me of. Neutered progressive pandering to the lowest common denominator in the most trashy and gimmicky way possible. It's packaging something complicated into a cute, mass consumable product that will make you feel smart and moral without having to do any heavy lifting. It's dumbing down ideas so that they'll fit on your smartphone right next to your Kanye West albums and Twitter app. It's shitty history, shitty theater, shitty politics, and shitty rap music. Fuck clipping. Fuck New York City. Fuck "people of color."

Good post tb h

This. Really enjoyed the 'Fuck "people of color" bit.

Bunch of East Coast elites are praising a show that costs 1000 bucks a ticket and they're calling it this grand cultural event. Literally nobody in the real world gives a shit about this. Buzzfeed tier.

It does a good job of exploiting the common ground between Broadway kitsch and popular hip hop, but that doesn't make it great.

It's the Broadway musical equivalent of a Baz Luhrmann film. Soundtrack is still enjoyable.

soundtrack is pretty good, don't really give two shits about people of color(tm)

Is he really the next Shakespeare?

/pol/ does. There have been hundreds of threads.

t. maladjusted, bitter loser

I don't give a fuck about the American Revolution, saw it, and thought it was boring. Maybe if you're into history or something you'd like it.

shit was overrated

Agreed, they need to be told this much more often.

Why's he a bitter loser? He could be a well studied young scholar.

we wuz founding fathers n sheeit

I wasn't even being sarcastic. is a good perspective that is valuable to a lot of people, even if they aren't as fed up with SJW shit as he is. And it's a perspective you'll never get from a 2000-word review by a pretentious failed novelist in the New Yorker or whatever the fuck.

Guy is making an actual critique of the artistic authenticity of the thing, and saying the reason it's lacking is because it's a pandering crypto-lowbrow cynically pandering pile of shit that only gets a free pass because it manipulates the press and public by coasting on progressive trends.

Try getting that critique, that condensed, from some fucking useless faggot like Notice he doesn't say anything useful, but gets mad at someone else who actually IS saying something useful because the latter uses icky forbidden thoughtcrime words.

what if i told you that Hamilton as an art is on the same level as Tolstoy's War and Peace?

t. fagtron who thinks he's much smarter than he is and above everyone else while in actuality having nothing to offer the world

Pol just got all their panties twisted into a giant Ratking esque circlejerk from hell over something that doesn't matter. Kinda like what Veeky Forums used to do with Tao Lin. Nobody actually cares about Tao Lin either.

says the guy that supports shit like fucking Hamilton....

It's a pop-kitsch reenactment of American history. What's so bad about it? Not everything has to be a deep exploration of the topic and capture all its nuances. I've seen Jesus Christ Superstar and liked it fine. That's trashy, gimmicky, and dumbs down the whole sequence. But so what? It's a fucking musical. Get a grip, you triggered faggots.

You know, it's possible to dislike something trendy without being lewronggeneration reactionary butthole. You're probably working on some goddamn thesis about how Kanye is a modern day William Blake. It's shitposters like you that ruin Veeky Forums. Suck my balls.

it's a big budget Broadway musical for tourists
it's basically the capeshit/YA of theatre

so you would put Hamilton on the same level as say War and Peace or Ulysses

One guy posted an honest opinion of something he dislikes and the shallow pop cultural cynicism that he thinks made it possible. That's not only valid art critique, it's good art critique.

You are the one overreacting like a baby because you don't share the guy's values. If someone says "this movie sucked because it promoted un-Christian values," you just acknowledge that you have different sets of values and therefore evaluative criteria, and you move on. Or you talk to the guy.

What you don't do is what you're doing right now: Throwing a tantrum and pissing your pants like a woman because people have opinions you deem verboten. Sorry, faggot, but no one gives a shit about your values simply because you pontificate about them. Go find a safe space and have a cry about it.

???

I don't listen to rap much, and didn't like Hamilton when I saw it. The """""""""critique""""""""" is just empty and pointless.

I...think you're getting your wires crossed. I was calling out the user who called someone a "maladjusted, bitter loser" for expressing their opinion without offering anything even remotely valid or interesting. Try reading a little more closely, kid.

>using blacks and safe-for-work hip hop to embody white Europeans who trafficked, exploited, and raped enslaved Africans
>only offhandedly mentioning slavery once AKA the reason almost every black cast member's ancestors ended up in america in the first place
>tickets are $500-$1000 a piece
>basically the "progressive" inversion of whitewashing
>basically an upperclass neoliberal's wet dream

Fuck this dumb shit to death.

The fact that everyone is all up in this particular thread is just further proof that no one on this board can bother to read a fucking book.

Sorry. I was just trying to troll people who are IRL offended by /pol/fags on /r9k/ and I only glossed over your post.

fuck you leftist scum.....fuck off with the white europeans are evil meme, im proud of my people's accomplishments

The musical, in itself, is pretty inoffensive.

The fact that it was coldly, calculatedly crafted to open yet another path for coastal liberal elites to feel good about themselves is very offensive.

Oops, on Veeky Forums.

Good post.
The 'Fuck "people of color"' ruins it a bit, though. Unless you were referring to the term instead of black people in general, then it's fine.

>being a commie cuck

I think you're right, and that that's a part of it. On the other hand, though I didn't like the songs myself, plenty of people I know do. Nothing stops cold and calculated theater from being good.

i bet you this is him

seconding this as a leftist. a couple throwaway feel-good boo slavery is bad amirightguise lines weaken the whole thing. if you're going to bring it up you'd better justify it hard. the play doesn't make the fact that Hamilton, while sympathetic, is Not a good guy, and having him bring slavery up just to diss jefferson should have more explicitly called him out for only caring when he could wield the issue like a bludgeon. that could have given us a fun conflict.

lol you think these people are neocons

No one was talking directly to you, take a deep breath. Gooood.

It's still a shitty musical.

>say Hamilton is not a good guy
> judge an 18th century man on 21st century social mentalities

I swear leftists are fucking stupid, plus fuck off with your white europeans are evil meme as well

This is pretty stupid but i lost it when i saw the pee stream.

I mean, this is how most millenial communists act today, most of it is infused with shitty identity politics and soviet iconography

>"chattel slavery was bad"
>SJWS FUCK OFF UR A MEME

This is some spicy discourse.

I WILL NOT APOLOGIZE FOR SLAVERY, I WILL NOT APOLOGIZE FOR COLONIALISM

The White Man, a superior race dominated inferior forces, just like how history has been

Non-Whites do not have to apologize for their imperalism, i sure as hell ain't for mine

I am proud of my people's accomplishments,

Newton, Gauss, Euler, Shakespeare, Beethoven, Mozart, Tolstoy...the white race has done many great advancements

I will not let leftist cucks demean the white race

It's bad in a modern context

not at the time though

You truly are the Master Baiter.

Says the guy that was trying to demean white european civilization

fuck off

Maybe, but you really aren't in much of a position to judge, given that you eat food harvested by machines that didn't exist 200 years ago, and wear clothing processed in indian sweatshops.

You're not very good at discussing musicals.

Reckon you ought to get back to your containment board. I hear there's a short haired woman over there talking about the benefits of polyamory and interracial dating. Ya just might catch her if ya hurry!

Crying with pride reading this.

This ones for us, white brethren:
youtube.com/watch?v=29Mg6Gfh9Co

no, I'm saying Hamilton (the play) doesn't present Hamilton (the guy) correctly: as a guy who was really into property rights and not that into abolitionism. Making him into a ultimately good dude, regardless of the playwright's intent, is not faithful to the original history and also boring.

Selected Tweets wasn't selling at $1000 per book

I mean the black race literally has an average IQ of 85

Mods...

Very well.

But that price automatically restricts the immediate audience to NYC elites aching to have their feel-goods massaged. You think the uptown brothas give a shit about Hamilton?

fuck off

>these are the people who always accuse others of getting triggered

Really makes me think.

Nope, im not triggered

again Im proud of my accomplishments, Newton, Gauss, Euler etc.

>Newton, Gauss, Euler, Shakespeare, Beethoven, Mozart, Tolstoy
>A people
>A race

Why are Americans so retarded?

This may be hard for you to believe, but most of the people I know who've seen it went solely for the songs, and of course the social capital of seeing it. I think you're overstating how many people care about "feeling progressive" or whatever.

Not true. American blacks have an average IQ of 85, Subsaharan Africans have an average IQ of around 70.

I don't know if low-income blacks pay attention to it, but it's definitely having more of an overall impact than most successful broadway shows.