Anyone here a philosophy major? Thinking about changing need some thoughts opinions

Anyone here a philosophy major? Thinking about changing need some thoughts opinions.

To what? Remember that despite what STEM fags want you to believe there needs to be some people on earth who are not STEMfags and not doing STEM related things.

If you're in a soft major just get out there and network, etc.

Sounds like a horrible idea. Does nothing to help your job prospects and everything could be learned on your own for free

I am, getting PhD in it (partly).

Depends on your long-term interests and your scholarly interests.

Hi. I am majoring in psychology right now but I have grown to hate it. I am thinking about majoring in philosophy and maybe minoring in biology or chem and then pursuing medical or law school afterwards. I definitely want to change it but honestly philosophy is probably the only thing I could change it to as STEM I am unable to major in for a few reasons and most other things don't really interest me much. I'm taking 2 phil classes next semester one is bio med ethics and the other existentialism and I am hoping maybe it will help me with my mind and existential crisis although I don't think it will.

I don't think I could do a PhD in it because I would mostly be limited to academia wouldn't I? I don't want to teach.

I would do law or med school anyway. The degree itself is not worth much I know that.

I'm currently a Media and Comms major, only this summer holidays (Australian) have I begun to pursue literature and philosophy more seriously. I'm approaching my last year of University so I think doing a minor in Philosophy would be a good idea. What do you think Veeky Forums? I want to write articles that have a bit of intelligence behind them I suppose.

PhD guy. I know I've seen some people on here say it's a good lead-in to law school, but I can't help there.

Yeah, my advice was only gonna be if you are thinking of postgrad. Which is basically: Don't do a PhD in it unless you're weird and/or crazy in specific ways.

Here's a bump so hopefully someone who can help you comes along.

Similar position. I was in stem, hated everything, took random-ass classes that interested me, but still dropped out after a semester and a half of that. Neet now and unsure about the future

I can't drop out (made deal with parents and my dad is financing my education) up until I graduate, and I don't really want to drop out either. I like school for the most part. My advice to you would be to explore career options and other fields and go back to school. Has law ever interested you?

Haha I had a full ride where I better like 4k a semester and that didn't stop me. Some law sounds interesting but seems like there is a ton of boring shit to go with it.

Yeah there probably is. I'll be honest law does not really interest me I'd just do it to have a decent salary and career. I don't want marriage or kids so if I could be in my early 30s (I'm 21 now) and making 6 figures I would be ok with that.

there is currently a total glut of lawyers due to many having that exact same perception

my advice is pretty much worthless but its probably better to be frugal with a job you love

I don't live in the US. In Canada it's a little different but if you are half competent you can find a job at a small or medium sized firm making like 60-70k starting.

ok, that explains it then. Good luck

Thanks, you as well user.

It's time to overthrow this society anons

I don't really care man the masses are useless and I don't feel like plotting a coup on a website monitored by US intelligence thanks. My goal in life

>Be a functional alcoholic lawyer making 150k/year until I die from heart failure in my mid 50's.

oy vey but how

i was so close to joining a truly revolutionary society, so close

I'm not trying to plan anything
Just keep reading books and being sad

Just minor in it.

agitation is the first step. unfortunately my washing machine is broken

Will do. Any recommendations that will make want to blow my brains out?

No, don't read books that make you sad.
Just live your life and be sad as you are slowly crushed
Then read something that will make you mad, like Kropotkin's Conquest of Bread

Seems like a good strategy for success.

a five minute chat with the average voter

The whole thing we're saying is that there is no success for most people
There is only exploitation

Too true

Success is an abstraction!

I got a stolen copy of "Guerrilla Warfare", haven't had the chance to read more than a couple pages yet though

I'm from aus as well, if your doing Media/Comm couldn't you just pick up Arts(Phil) as a double degree since your already gonna have to do a couple electives already?

I just switched this sem from an Engineering degree to Finance/Philosophy

Media and Comms is my major as part of my BA, It isn't a separate degree.

I can do a double major but at this point I'm already in my final year so it's not possible to fulfill all my subject requirements for a major. I've done two Philosophy subjects on level 1, so I can do 2 more and get a minor.

Philosophy majors tend to do well on the LSATs. If it interests you, do it. I don't know what your question is. It isn't going to affect your career prospects in any way, since you'll be getting a post-grad degree before looking for a job.
Take a couple classes and see if you enjoy it/have any aptitude for it.
You absolutely can't learn to write a decent philosophy paper on your own. Furthermore, even if you could get what you'll get by majoring in philosophy on your own, realistically, you wouldn't; you'll be focused on your current major, then on law or med school, then on residency or clerkship, then on your job, and then you'll die.
Do it if you like it and are okay at it.

Thanks. Any tips for being successful in philosophy? I'd like to get mostly A-'s (80% at my uni) to A's (85%+)

write clearly--if people can't understand you, it's your fault, not theirs. come to professors' office hours with pre-outlined ideas. in papers, attack theories, avoid proposing new ones; with that said, being a good flaw-finder doesn't mean being a pedant--you have to read and portray your interlocutors charitably for your papers to be convincing.
give yourself plenty of time to do the reading; for me, and for professors I've talked to, even a short philosophy paper will usually take a few hours to really grasp.
that's all I can think of, good luck.

I appreciate it, thank you.

if the study of philosophy still focusses on this masturbatory tripe that the western sages regurgitate endlessly, then fuck it. the philosophy that matters is found in fields like ecology, zen buddhism, vedanta, transcendentalism, cognitive sciences, some mysticism. western people are pointing fingers at the moon, to quote a buddhist sage. stop looking at the finger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!