Why were the greeks so fucking smart, bros? How did these fuckers figure everything out, huh?

Why were the greeks so fucking smart, bros? How did these fuckers figure everything out, huh?

Other urls found in this thread:

brocku.ca/MeadProject/Poincare/Poincare_1905_05.html
ditext.com/carroll/tortoise.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They wuz white

they were wrong about everything.

They had no debts to pay so they had free time to think of whatever they wanted.

Ancient Greece was a slave society, so free men didn't have to work and could spend their time doing what they wanted to do. The modern equivalent is a NEET, and in the future when communism is achieved our society will make similar achievements due to not having to work so much.

they started with themselves.

So why isn't Veeky Forums full of brilliant philosophers?

No electronics. Short lifespans.

Your skewed perspective.

Plato sure was

It is; you just replied to one!

Electronics. Long life expectancy. Skewed perspectives.

Weebs and other assorted man-children aren't likely to bring much of anything interesting to fruition

No. In particular Euclid, who although he lived in Alexandria was Greek, compiled a textbook of mathematical truth and arguments which in addition to demonstrating the basic ideas of what proofs actually look like (and how mathematics ought to look on a page), is never described as being "wrong". The worst disparagement which can be leveled against Euclid's text is that it is "dated".

Euclid's text was used as a textbook, that is, not merely a historical curiosity like Greek philosophy in the squishier non-STEM sense, but an actual instruction manual for how logic and geometry actually work, at regular intervals between the time of its compilation and up until about a century ago, which is when more modern treatments and textbooks finally began to supplant it. But none of these actually /overturn/ anything in it.

This is the joy of mathematics. You can actually argue and discover something, and have it actually stand for so long, superior to politics, even physics. Its truth is unimpeachable, once the appreciators are in a position to understand such, which is the trick. This can hardly be said of most other areas of human knowledge, much as their practitioners would like to delude themselves to the contrary.

Your political idiocy and falsity shoehorned into this discussion will not be allowed to pass. Communism is not something that will be achieved in the future, /provided that humans continue to operate in very much the same way that they have done throughout history up to this point/, short of genetic engineering gamechangers etc, and for you to shoehorn such into your rhetoric is not illuminating, but a blind naivete.

It is even possible that you are part of an opening salvo to left-Veeky Forums culture again, in which case, troll or no, you must in any event have your sniping bitchsmacked down for the falsehood that it is, as an example to others so that all others will understand the stupidity of the conceit.

So why isn't the third world full of brilliant philosophers?

Poverty, resource wars, or more directly put, imperialist capitalism

And your skewed perspectives.

the citizens were all ripped soldiers & sailors tho

I see you're having some positivist feelings, let me help you with that:

brocku.ca/MeadProject/Poincare/Poincare_1905_05.html

ditext.com/carroll/tortoise.html

>capitalism made me stupid and poor
Look buddy, you were like that already.

At a glance, the former leads off with the not unreasonable assertion that some alternate schema of geometry might have been historically arrived at instead, while the latter is a literary swipe by another sometime-mathematician which (in keeping with his better known literature) plays with absurdity, being cute, and so on. I do not immediately scan any /substantive refutation/ of the truth of my above rhetorical point, and so your "help" seems quite misbegotten and unnnecessary at this point, especially as in the former case, I do not immediatley scan any statements tantamount to /Euclid Was Wrong/, which is what you really need in order to be smug. And this because the two are (probably) bright enough to know that that's bogus. Instead, alternate models which do not /impeach/ Euclid as-such are to be proposed and thought about, or else
That said, I shall actually read both entries in detail, now, and see if I've gotten something wrong or misrepresented something.

cont.

The Carroll piece is a "confused" ( :^) -tier) rhetorical meme about iteration which is very much in the spirit of Zeno and doesn't actually impeach anything that I've said, got it. To be clear, we either now accept the notion of a limit (also implicit in the piece) or we don't.

It would almost have been more interesting about Euclid's first prop to question how it is that the two circles actually cut one another in the first place, but then this wouldn't have opened itself up to the above memery, being a comparatively less interesting up-down one-time issue.

Lest I be accused of having misunderstood something in the Carroll piece, let me add that there is of course a difference between the iteration in the logical space (d,e,f ad infinitum, entailed statements) versus the conventional understanding of a limit as it applies ot calculus, and more directly to the Zeno reference, etc. The interplay and confusion of these two versions of "infinite repetition" would seem to be part of the literary value of the selection, leading effectively to their troll-effect.

Your writing style is so fucking disgusting— some study in the humanities would damn well do you good.

Minors in history and history and philosophy. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my writing style, nor is it legitimate for you to feign disgust that "even after all that exposure, he still writes terribly."

What's really going on is that You Don't Like Thing for whatever reason (whether you're an earlier poster or not), and so for whatever reason you find it necessary to "snipe at tone". And still I keep on being right, which is where it's really at.

Another possibility is that based on our mutual presence in this informal forum, you have a (somewhat reasonable) expectation of a more conversational style, when I'm currently in "win-an-argument" mode. It is this same expectation of more conversational written language that leads people in chat rooms ,etc to falsely read "tone" on full sentences, periods and so on as nerdy/cringey, sometimes.

Another regrettable fact of Veeky Forums's present culture is that paragraph breaks are regularly dismissed as being "reddit", irrespective of the content of the post. The rhetorical turn here being to implicate Veeky Forums users generally, even the bright/serious ones, of falsely reading posts' "tone" and mistake themselves for making a substantive point, which is roughly what you're doing.

Please be wrong and actually go into aesthetic/substantive detail about the Cringe of my beautiful prose. Whoops.

I'm not that user but I agree, you sound like a fucking tool. You sound like you enjoy the smell of your own farts

>I'm wrong so I'll just try to attack him personally

- in history of course, before someone else gets cute about it!

This

This is literally a textbook subversion post

because they're too busy struggling to survive to sit around and think about whether or not featherless chickens are people

In my assessment there are three major factors worth noting here. First the time and freedom of the citizens partly due to the slaves which we in the twenty first century can reproduce by producing robots who do most of the work humans now do. Second the Eleusinian Mysteries which we can reproduce by integrating psychedelic compounds into our culture again in the way that Rick Doblin, the people at MAPS, and others are working towards now. Finally my impression is that these great minds were forged in open non violent conversation where disagreements are not resolved with jailing/killing/insulting the interlocutors on the other side.

I am envious of your intelligence and great writing style so please hold still while I fling my poo at you

>I'm not that user but I

t. that user

*teleports behind u wif class 4 armor*

close thread

math is a fucking bore you ass

Read Havelock's Preface to Plato

also, because they were white

>Communism
>Free
Get the fuck out of here pleb. If that were to ever happen we would be suck the cocks of government.

>HI. I'm a dumb American, and I have no idea what I'm talking about!!

Trump voters need to practice a little decorum in the coming years. Sit back, play wait and see as Papa Orangey goes to work. Do a little reading on the difference between the real left and liberals.

Here's a little history book to get you started.

Sand. In order to do math and physics, you need to be able to get an idea out of your head and onto the paper as quickly and smoothly as possible and then just as quickly erase and revise. This is my theory as to why mathematics flourished in areas with lots of sand as opposed to others until ink became widely accessible. Then the Swiss started takin' it to em.