Would a plant with perfect chlorophyll be black or white?

Albino plants and animals are white because they have no pigment to reflect light with. If you gave a plant chlorophyll that didnt reflect light at all, chlorophyll that would itself be black because it doesnt reflect light, would the plant be its natural white color or take on the color of the chlorophyll?

This is fucking with my head because the answer to both colors being the dominant one is as far as i can tell the same.

Other urls found in this thread:

lifeforaforest.com/2016/01/11/albino-plants/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_pigment#Pigments_in_plants
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it would be green you nitwit

>albino plants
you have no fucking clue what you're talking about

Chlorophyll is green, it does reflect light.
Guess what, it reflects green light.
It's even in the name, chloro.

Chlorophyl comes in more than just green, well not in plants but older versions of it were purple, i mean specfically if you made chlorophyll that uses all light so would be black instead of green.

lifeforaforest.com/2016/01/11/albino-plants/

Mate you wut?

I mean specifically if you made chlorophyll that doesnt reflect light but uses all light.

Having chlorophyll that doesn't reflect any light is a difficult and synthetic task.
There are no plants that have this so it's weird to talk about dominance, it would be synthetic.

Dude, did you even read your own source?

"Albinism in plants can be identified at a molecular level by the incomplete differentiation of chloroplast membranes, and by the complete or partial loss of chlorophyll. This results in the plants ability to use light to photosynthesise, thereby produce energy, being compromised. This reduces its likelihood of survival."

I dont mean genetic dominance i mean physically. The whiteness of an albino comes from no pigmentation which means no reflectiveness, the blackness of an unreflective chemical such as the synthetic chlorophyll is caused by... well unreflectiveness. If both the natural white color of an albino and the natural black color of the chemical is caused by the same thing, unreflectiveness, which color would be present?

>uses all light

The EM spectrum is a big fucking thing dude...
What we consider "light" is just what the sensors in our eyes have adapted to detect.
Snakes can see into the infrared, some insects ultraviolet.
Mantis shrimps have all kinds of weird photoreceptive cells in their eyes, lord knows what they consider visible.

Plants use the EM wavelengths that are specific to the photochemical processes that provide them with energy.

Did you read my question or not? Im specifically asking if chloropyll did not reflect light would the plant be white like an albino plant because no light to reflect just like an albino plant or be black because the chlorophyll would be black because it isnt reflectingly light.

>natural black color
no

no no no
chlorophyll is green

>if chloropyll did not reflect light
>would the plant be white or black

:l

there's more pigments in a plant than chlorophyll, it could be any color, but probably not black

That doesnt answer my question. But fine i will make the question arbitrarily specific. If chlorophyll also used green light, thus appearing black to us because it doesnt reflect light we can see, would the plant be white, because now it doesnt reflect light like an albino plant, or be black because the chemical that used to be green is now black to us because it doesnt reflect light?

this

No there isnt, plant leaves are white without chlorophyll. Or do you mean the plant would just be its albino color? If yes please just say so.

god you are dense
are you actually saying plants have no pigment besides chloro?

let me find a quick source to satisfy your small brain

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_pigment#Pigments_in_plants

Why do i need to specify i mean the part of the plants that are normally fucking green? That should be implied.

ah, so your real question is actually: what color does the plant have when you remove ALL pigment

which is a really dumb question, at first

the answer is obviously white

but why this is, well for the same reason snow is white, and also kinda because of other stuff like cellulose

Okay thank you that's all you had to say we didn't have to fight over semantics for a 30 messages.

no you idiot, what color would the plant be if the chlorophyll performed better than normal and absorbed the green light as well as all the other colors.

then, like I said, the plant is less green
which means the other pigments become more visible
no other pigments means the plant becomes whiter
other pigments means the plant can be any color

I don't know that's why I asked.

Except plans don't have other pigments unless they are flowers most plants are green because they only reflect green because they are only pigmented by chlorophyll

If there are no other pigments (hypothetically) then why would the plant be white, which implies the reflection of light, instead of black, the absorption of light?

I don't know but that's how albinos work so I don't question it. Or someone could tell me why albinos are white even though they have no pigment and that is why they are white that would be great.

no some do

because cellulose is white, and other stuff in the plant is also white
it won't be black as there is always something in the plants that will reflect light

same story for humans, less pigment, more stuff that is white

Albinos are white because no pigment to absorb color...........

But the question is if there is no other pigment other than chlorophyll

pigments absorb light.

A green pigment absorbs all non-green light.

albinos are white because they lack any pigment, so the reflect all light.

So what if the chlorophyll absorbed green light as well?

>What constitutes as a pigment: the thread
>How does the entire makeup of a cell->tissue->organ reflect light: the thread
>Which molecules reflect/absorb what light: the thread

Thats wrong though. If you absorb more light wavelengths you become darker.

then plants would be black.

no

yes, but you keep forgetting there is other stuff in the plant

Okay it is OP again. I have gotten the answer i needed. From what i can tell they would be white because cellulose. Thank you that has been eating at me.

no problem!
just don't forget it's not just the cellulose, also other stuff I think, like cell membranes

It's because Nature doesn't know how to make Vantablack, but we do.

Nature is a genius but nature can also be an absolute retard. Nature's a unique friend.

haha black holes much?
better than vanta

GODDAMIT NATURE YA BEAT US AGAIN

It would be black because it would absorb all of the incident light. And there are a few plants with black leaves.