Cultural values that help the rich and or powerful?

I assume a lot of you have read up on the propagation of cultural values, particularly because literature reflects, if not creates, these values.

Are there any books that discuss, with examples, the presence of values in society that help the rich and those in power, values such as subservience to your lord, noble blood as sacred, salarymen in Japan, etcetera (as you can notice, these themes are prevalent in the literature of the time).

I am most interested in books that look into how these values came to be, whether they originate because people in general see their presence as beneficial to themselves or whether the rich and powerful somehow ??IMPLANT?? these values in society or both or something else.

TL;DR: How is a cultural hegemony established by the bourgeois, if at all? If what I described is not cultural hegemony (or otherwise not of relation to this summary), please ignore this sentence.

this is a garbage thread, undergrad, and we're not helping you with your marxist professors PURE IDOLOGY assignment

Does this question not beg the curiosity of anyone else willing to entertain the notion that cultural hegemony or hegemony in general is at something that exists?

I don't believe it does, and it baffles me how it COULD, how the hell can the rich and powerful even CONTROL something like public opinion? How does it work?

I mean, in the modern world.

wow buddy sounds pretty edgy! are you ready for finals? you first semester can be tough, maybe you should study for school instead of being an edgylord...

How would you control it?
Could you control it in first place?

>I don't believe it does, and it baffles me how it COULD, how the hell can the rich and powerful even CONTROL something like public opinion? How does it work?

remember when u voted for hillary clinton in the primaries because you believed bernie sanders was "unelectable"?

>??IMPLANT??

Fuck millenials. Seriously, what the fuck are these question marks doing here? I want an answer.

Antonio gramsci

This is my question, the notion that these are things that can be manipulated, by a class of people even if not by an individual, seems fucking mad to me.
Gramsci does little to explain how this happens, let alone why it does, people seem to spout things about cultural hegemony even now.

I assumed a lot of you would know more about this since lit seemed to be left leaning, clearly none of you seem to care to entertain this notion.

Since you wish to get my opinion on the US election into this: I actually support trump, I'm a bit of an optimist but I do think a white supremist movement or whatever pathetic form of it can now exist can be brought about if he comes into power, stir the people you know?

Don't get me wrong I don't believe in some spooky notion of worth and think the white man is some superior form of man or anything, I simply don't like the idea of having other races welcomed in my country, you could call it xenophobic if you wish. I do hold racist beliefs, like black men being objectively less intelligent in so far as average intelligence is concerned (by a slight margin, I'd wager the variances of the distributions are identical and differences between them in averages decreasing as more interracial couples pop up, defining anyone with one or more black family members within five generations as black, we could use any other word for them if one objects). The way I see it, even though good, productive, kind, black men exist (although proportionally less common than good white men) the race as a whole is better of gone, just like Arabs.

On topic: Expressing views such as those spoilered above is actually looked down upon and penalised by society, given cultural norms, and this protects the poor and powerless if anything, what to make of all this talk of cultural hegemony then?

garbage OP who half-understands the dialectic

don't even bother

Not actually a millennial but, just wanted to emphasize that the notion of seeing a group of people do something so systematic seems outrageous too me. Think of it like if you were annotating a student's paper and you found a word that's implication you more or less understood in its context but you wanted to put a question mark to sort of say "Are you really going to say it like that?"/"Are you really going to use that word here?"

Is this performance art? You're writing like what a 16-year old imagines a philosopher's manner of speech to be.

It's not that hard to create a narrative. Just look at advertisements - good salesmen hit on something emotional, not something practical. That's why appeals to things like patriotism, family values, etc are so effective.

Also, racism has no place in the modern world. Your beliefs about intellectual inferiority of any race have no basis in scientific thought. I've seen the cherry-picked, poorly understood statistics on /pol/. Read up on the effects that poverty and living in a cultural and economic underclass has on people regardless of race, and you'll realize that white supremacism is flawed.

You're doing little to help me here. Why don't you point out the claims I made that are wrong (since "half-understands" clearly implies that I have made an incorrect statement)? That would prove your intelligence to me and other readers (many of whom are much more ignorant than me on this matter, trust me) much more effectively than so curtly dismissing me entry into this elusive cult you are foolish enough to think yourself a member of.

always test ideas by how they serve your class or another class. if they serve another, it is ideology.

althusser
gramsci
fredric jameson
terry eagleton

pic

culture makes the economic base possible, I have no idea if superstructure and base exist dialectically or as a causality

>You're writing like what a 16-year old imagines a philosopher's manner of speech to be.

Eh' sorry, English is not my first language, I read little beyond academic texts and RPG lore haha!

>Just look at advertisements
Of course, that helps the rich and powerful, consumerism is all well and good for them and they manipulate it to their will, but, really, you think that's something so strong as manipulating an entire society's culture? Things like what you call "family values".

Patriotism, well, that's the government, I'm more-so interested in what private individuals do, you know, the ones you typically perceive as bourgie scum. Patriotism is more or less put in through education and laws against having it otherwise, I can see how that comes up in a society and really, I don't see how that's some kind of oppressive bourgie bit of cultural hegemony that doesn't help the prols too.

TL;DR: Any methods other than advertisement you can list?

>racism has no place in the modern world
Probably won't ever come into acceptance in the mainstream of western countries (emphasis on Western, look at Burma or whatever the fuck they want to call themselves now, they treat their Muslim minority immigrants well). As I said, I'm an optimist, a man can dream.

>have no basis in scientific thought
We'll have to agree to disagree.

>/pol/
I don't go there, too many trolls, too few like-minded folk.

>effects that poverty and living in a cultural and economic underclass has on people regardless of race
True, most attributes I perceive as negative in black people (in terms of not being law-abiding, or intelligent, or what not) are probably attributes that would pop up almost as much (if not as much) in a genetically white population that were under the same socioeconomic conditions (although I don't know how the white man would ever get himself into such a situation, let's say, South Africa goes a little too far or something).

Still, I simply don't empathize with people not my race, and I think the world is better off with less resources from the government directed to help them, because my race is better off. I don't see any need to dispel this notion even if I entertain the possibility that biologically, all races share the same inherent traits of intelligence or what not.

>>>r/communism

Fuck off tripfag

Be an amoral psychopath who worships Mammon, user desu

>Actual cultural marxism
Nationalize the coal mines or get the hell out, you cyrpto-capitalist poser

>You're doing little to help me here. Why don't you point out the claims I made that are wrong
this is what every idiot starts saying when they get btfod. we're not going to spoonfeed you- we don't have the time, plus you're dumb and wouldnt understand us anyways.

>Eh' sorry, English is not my first language, I read little beyond academic texts and RPG lore haha!
>.>

this

>Nationalize resources and vital industries
this

>values such as subservience to your lord, noble blood as sacred
>as you can notice, these themes are prevalent in the literature of the time
?????

try reading Harry Potter, it might legitimately help inform your worldview, and its probably more your speed than any other recs you're gonna get on this board.