I'm a nihilist but I'm depressed

Since I understood everything is vain and my life and identity will be deleted when I'm dead, I feel fucking depressed. (no suicide yet)
I know a part of the nihilists just don't give a fuck about it (or they are too dumb to think about what it implies) and enjoy life, but i can't help but be sad and think death is better than any kind of suffering.

Does it mean I'm a pussy ? Or is it the first step and then comes acceptance ?

>is a nihilist
>doesn't know why he is depressed

Ah, the laziest form of philosophy. Let me know when you've developed a thought on the world that doesn't essentially devolve to "It doesn't matter anyway."

What thought doesn't?

Well, if something isn't matterless, the only other possibility is that it "does matter". So, what does matter in your morally superior worldview?

Let me just give you an example:

"There is an objective morality that ought to be followed by virtue of it being moral."

Or if that's too dificult for you:

"There is a God and there is a certain relationship with him that pleases him most"

There you go, take a fucking leap of faith and quit your whining.

>somebody disagrees with me so they're clearly intellectually lazy

Watch out newfriend, I'd hate for you to cut yourself on that edge while you walk to the school bus (^:

Much better, let's just go from there. Saying that things matter brings up further questions, rather than leaving us at a philosophical dead end. Assuming that things matter, because that's just better for our purposes, then what is it about this world that makes it matter most? A sense of purpose may help with OP's depression.

Did you get that from his OKC account?

I'll stop you right there. I'm not OP and if you want things to matter, go for it.

My problem with the whole thing is, if things do matter, where does that 'matter' come from? The only thing I can conclude is that it comes from the one seeking 'matter' in which case it is completely arbitrary and objectively has no tangible value.

Why should things have an objective value? The very idea of value is a subjective matter all by itself.

>objectively has no tangible value.
No, meanings have objective value because they let people interpret phenomena in the world.

The fact that you're sad is a refutation of nihilism.

I'm not saying things should have an objective value, I'm saying if things are to matter any more than me simply saying they matter, they should have some inherent value, given by some higher being. Seeing as all higher beings are derived from man, those beings too have no tangible matter and cannot give things value. So I constantly return to square one where nothing has 'value'.

Maybe I'm dumb, but I can't understand what you're getting at.

>I can't understand what you're getting at.
You think that meanings being created by people makes them "arbitrary" or not "objectively" valuable, but even if meanings are just created by human beings, they still have objective value, they provide tangible benefits to the individual. Imagine your an alcoholic and you're miserable, so you go to AA and it helps you quit drinking every day. Sure, AA was just made up by some guy, it's not "objectively" the best way to live or anything, but it still helps people deal with their alcoholism. And that is objectively valuable.

Brain chemistry is fucked.

Read Nietzsche and Kierkegaard.

IF THERE IS NOTHING TO BE HAPPY ABOUT, THEN THERE IS ALSO NOTHING TO BE SAD ABOUT. Dualities are bullshit, user.

>Ah, the laziest form of philosophy
Why does being the laziest make it untrue?

Aiiight the cool guys who are talking about leaps of faith and shit are forgetting that certain philosophers, like them, have only interpreted the world, the point is to change it. My practical advice for you OP is find someone to fuck. If you can't, try opiates, they're pretty good.

You can create your own idol to worship, you can worship the void, or you can die. Those are your choices.

Veeky Forums 2016

wut

I prescribe you Nietzsche. Twenty pages every evening for two weeks. Preferably don't read anything else an hour before or after. Come see me, if your nihilism isn't cured in that time. It would mean that your nihilism has been untreated for too long and has become chronic, so we would have to adjust your dosage and maybe consider changing the prescription.

I don't have a problem like OP does, but i do have a problem when anti-natalists go a tangent about why people should stop reproducing

It means you need this

Take a lesson from The Big Lebowski. A lot of nihilists are just forming an elaborate coping mechanism because they fear death. I'd wager that 95% or more nihilists are acting that way, to be detached in a hipster way.

>I'm saying if things are to matter any more than me simply saying they matter, they should have some inherent value, given by some higher being.

How about the inherent value given to things by the nature of your being? You know, you're a biological creature with inherent values built in through evolution. I don't mean like eat and fuck or anything that simple. I just mean that your thought patterns and who you are is all basically a product of your nature. Life begins to have meaning when you realize that being an individual is an inherently meaningful process. You are a swirling ball of conscious and subconscious choices made for you and from you since your birth, and all you can do is care about the mess of an identity you are. You've been building it up for years and years and you've put so much effort into it that you ought to feel some sort of attachment, whether all of that effort was intentional or not. Form your identity and your meaning out of that swirling ball of emotions and beliefs and biases and experiences.

It's the only way.

Nihilism

a : a viewpoint that traditional values and beliefs are unfounded and that existence is senseless and useless

b : a doctrine that denies any objective ground of truth and especially of moral truths

It's intrinsically linked with depression. Welcome to existential dread, you'll be thinking about the fact that you are going to die, that existence is futile and how everything mankind has ever created is just another distraction on the road to the grave, for the rest of your short, meaningless life. Have fun!

Try reading entry level existential literature like The Stranger, Nausea and my favorite, Journey to the End of the Night :

Not much music left inside us for life to dance to. Our youth has gone to the ends of the earth to die in the silence of the truth. And where, I ask you, can a man escape to, when he hasn't enough madness left inside him? The truth is an endless death agony. The truth is death. You have to choose: death or lies. I've never been able to kill myself.”

nihilism is irrelevant and eats itself.

Dvaita heretic

You are fucked OP
Or you get up and start lifting and go out even if you feel your heart is perma bleeding and you are making 0 synapse OR you keep whining
Your choice, I suggest the first one. Do whatever, kill people if that makes you happy, it doesnt matter.

What the fuck is cardio

I hope that meme makes you chuckle OP

cardiovascular exercise

Whats its end game?

lose gains

>im a nihilist
You are sad because you are a cuck
You have to belive in life AKA get a life

What is some pro gains exercise, lifting? Im still skinny, should I GOMAD?

Why are you sad about everything becoming nothing after you die if when you die you will not be able to realize any of that faggy shit?
Why are kids these days so gay? Was /pol/ right? Are the goverments putting estrogen into water?
I bet you smoke weed, OP, where the fuck are your parents?
Nah, forget about them, they would probably tell you to take SSRI (pro tip: dont take them)

>getting depressed by nihilism
>not rejoicing in the understanding that nihilism is a bridge between existentialism and becoming the overman

keep rolling that rock up the hill user

Read Rimbaud and listen to Death Grips
You have to be the beast you worship, OP
Make a noise band, paint something, write your deepest feelings
Get a fucking job
No one is perfect, I need coffee to start my day, maybe that will work for you

I was born in religion, molded by it.

My man I was literally just thinking about how much I hate this shitty fucking 'nihilists' and here you are! The reason you're miserable is because you're a nihilist and it is a very miserable state of existance. The people you are talking about are basically just athiest hedonists who fail to understand that their are concious and unconcious ideologies. The think because they don't believe in some explicit big other that they must not believe in anything. It makes me want to die alot.

Yes, GO CRAZY

>meanings have objective value because they let people interpret phenomena in the world.

Why would that give them objective value?

Will all that milk give me acne? I hate that shit

Is never to late to uncuck yourself

you read too much and think too little

LSD

If you are using LSD for anything else than fun and synesthesia you are a cuck

I'm hoping the digital age will shut you Nihilist fucks up. Then you can cry about what actually doesn't matter, i.e., YOU

You are one of them too

I've tried, but I just end up becoming interested in other religions.

Why is every self proclaimed nihilist Ive ever met is a pseudeo intellectual shit lord? This one faggot use to always bring up that he was a nihilist, and then he would make out of place refrences to Nietzsche and Dostoevsky about the meaninglessness of existence (he claims Crime and Punishement is his favorite novel but I doubt he read it or at least if he did he didnt understand it). Also hes a self proclaimed post modernist

Why?

>I'm a nihilist but I'm depressed
>but

Let's get a few things straight: thinking life is meaningless does not make you a nihilist; being depressed does not make you a nihilist; not believing in morality does not make you a nihilist. In addition, true nihilism--the rejection of everything--is not an ideology you adopt, but a sort of madness (if I recall, Nietzsche likened it to a malaise), as it is impossible to practice or logically justify.

>allow me to redefine nihilist to prove youre not a nihilist!

>You are one of them too
What? I'm a Nihilist? Heavens no, Hedonism is my biz

>Nietzsche
>Niilist
Why people can't pick one?

Two faces of the same coin

Because theyve never actually read Neitzsche besides his meme quotes. Same for Dostoevsky, he was pretty anti nihilist too

If by redefine you mean use the definition that Nietzsche gave it, then yes.

The definition Neitzsche gave isnt the modern definition you fucking sperglord. When some mentions platonic relationships do you think theyre talking about a third realm of abstract objects?

You mean some people actually think Dostoevsky was a nihilist?

A bout de souffle (1960) Jean-Luc Godard

Professor Dreyfus lecture - Breathless (À bout de souffle) Active & Passive Nihilism

Depression will continue after you've destroyed everything, and not everything you destroy will be discontinued. That's how babys are made.
- A. B. Pow

Yes. The guy I was talking about in thinks Crime and Punishment is a nihilstic novel

It's true that your personality will disappear after you die, but why is that anything to be depressed about? There is no "you" - your personality isn't unique. Personality represents favour of one subjective preference over another. That's it.

Unlike personality however, conscience represents the preference of true over false, and good over bad. Learn to distinguish between your conscience, which is objective and veritas, and your personality, which is a subjective illusion.

We all share one conscience - it will exist so long as humanity does. It is the spark of the divine in man. Your personality will die with your body, but the conscience you share in, the only real thing about 'you', is immortal and cannot die.

Moreover, death is, as you say, inevitable. Being frightened of death is no different than being frightened of the wind or the rain. Is feeling anxious and frightened ever helpful? No.

Vive in memor mortis; fugit hora.

γνώθι σεατον - μούνος σοφός εστίν ελεύθερος

Because it makes you more likely to survive and thrive in an increasingly information-complex world? How is that not an objective benefit?

How is it an objective benefit?

Get a fucking hobby. You are depressed because you have no occupation that keeps you from going insane.

Idleness is the mindkiller.

It gives you a material advantage.

Drop and become the Außenmensch.

t. Außenmensch64

Objective benefit =/= objective value. Value cant be objective since its determined by what pelople think its value is

Values objectively exist. Just because different people have different values doesn't cancel out the fact that having a system of values is materially and psychologically beneficial, i.e. has real world implications. That's objectively true even if the content of the values is different.

>Values objectively exist
Yes but they are subjectively determined

Why not just read the Nihilism paradox?

Nihilism rejects any exposition or data on any topic that contains meaningful or communicable content, while also positing that Nihilism itself communicates the data that there cannot be any meaningful or applicable data, and therefore all doctrines or ideologies must be judged as vapid and by virtue of any content serving any cause

This would mean that in following the doctrine of Nihilism: you would be positing that it had content meaningful enough to be copacetic with a rational conception of a goal,

That the will of the Nihilism doctrine itself forces you to reject the content of the Nihilism doctrine itself, because it tries to contain meaningful exposition, means that it is utterly illogical, and that a doctrine similar to Nihilism positing that the doctrine "Nihilism" contains the only truly valuable guidance is also fallible because it would go against the sole purpose of the doctrine, exuding the information that meaningful content be necessarily be expunged in application, communication or knowledge.

Nihilism as a fact would at least give us one portion of information, which would mean information, albeit un-communicable: has both practical application, and is to a certain degree displayed as an omnipotent, monolithic truth.

It fails categorically to deliver its own message without exiling the very foundations which it is built upon; do not trust it?

I don't know

No, a society's values aren't just made up by a guy and delivered to everyone else, nor are they made up on the spot every time people need them. Values are determined by history, culture, and geographical circumstances, all of which are objective phenomena.

Yes but an individual is free to adopt or not adopt whatever values they see fit. I agree values objectively exist, but again, which values you see as "valuable" is entirely subjective.

Marx get the fuck out.

I dont care for marx but I dont think he was a hedonist...

Meme went over your head.

K y'all I'll clear this shit up.
If everything has no objective value the abstract concept of truth also does not. Thus, unless you're actively masochistic, you can drop nihilism.

Well thanks for arguing even though you agree with me.
>which values you see as "valuable" is entirely subjective.
This is still wrong. Every conception of value you get is given to you by society. They objectively exist outside of your perception.

and why is that an objective benefit? Christians would defintely disagree

I think it's pretty fucking obvious how having a material advantage is objectively beneficial. How about you explain how you think it works?

>This is still wrong. Every conception of value you get is given to you by society. They objectively exist outside of your perception.
But not everyone agrees with values of their own society and adopts values from elsewhere, hence the phenomenon of counter culture. I might value equality, but racial supremists certainly dont. Youre free to pick your values

How can values qualify as an objective sort of knowledge if they have no rational relation to human experience? If a value is to fall within accordance with a certain principle: this value cannot be justified if it is built out of us qualifying it as a means to a pleasurable state of affairs as meaningful, insofar as application makes it pleasurable, because pleasure or phlegmatic ease of circumstances is not rational in any way, nor is any other emotion. They are constructed from ludicrous and often times fallible sense experience, which we can confirm is not the same quantifier in very similar moral agents because they might have more elaborate or profound sensitivity to a certain state. There seem to be no values in nature at all; they must be constructed through reason alone

>Youre free to pick your values
That doesn't make them subjective

No.

Christianity, and to a lesser extent other ascetic ideologies, believe that material disadvantage is good because it leads to spirituals benefits.

Objectivity is boring, why bother? Live subjectively, that will help you find a better meaning than nihilism, which denies purpose altogether.

Slave morality

"Material advantage" doesn't mean having more money or whatever, I mean having a cohesive system of values, like Christianity, gives you the real-world benefit of not having to worry about what happens after you die, or what the reason for existence is .That's a material benefit because it reduces anxiety and allows you to operate more efficiently.

What does this mean in laymans terms?

Pain doesn't relate to knowledge apart from being able to tell us that something appears to be painful to ourselves, so we can't make it into rules to avoid that pain

And then say that those rules are a true kind of knowledge and not just randomly assembled gobbledygook

Life without God is unbearable.

Really makes you think.