Interested in reading the Koran, Qoran, Quran, whatever, however unsure which translation is optimum for personal study...

Interested in reading the Koran, Qoran, Quran, whatever, however unsure which translation is optimum for personal study, and whether an annotated version would be worthwhile or not. What should I buy, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadith)
hamzatzortzis.com/essays-articles/exploring-the-quran/the-qurans-unique-literary-form/)
biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus 21&version=ESV
thereligionofpeace.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

My humanities class for gen eds in college used the oxford world classics one, it did the job.

If you really want to study islam proper though look into the hadiths as no one is really a quranist in this day and age.

(look into the hadiths as well as the quran, I mean)

Study Qur'an.

Just read that first and once you get through that then you need to look into the Hadith, which has some retarded/good/terrible shit.

This user is correct though, it is hilarious how disliked Quranists are among Muslims

you say hadiths as if there are multiple (sorry, I've never heard of it before), do you know if these are collected in some form? I searched on booktopia (an Australian site), but it only seems to stock critical discussion.

Hadith literally means report or account.
There are a lot of them and different sects accept or reject different Hadith.

Quranists reject all Hadith.

My grammar is technically wrong, as the haddith is the collection of literature about muhhamad and his actions words and works, but there are multiple "hadiths" that different sects recognize.

To be honest I'd recommend just taking a look at the wikipedia page (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadith) to get a better understanding of what they are and to guide yourself towards which you want to look into, as different sects recognize different works as their "hadith".

You probably haven't heard of the hadith because you're probably american like myself and we aren't taught shit about islam in secondary school, so we look at the Quran like the bible.

Similarly if you want to understand true judaism you gotta look into the talmud

Wow, ok. Might take the advice and just start with the Qur'an.
Australian, so practically zero muslim interaction whatsoever. Did have a "muslim" friend once but he knew basically nothing about it as well, just practiced for his parents.

So is there a preferred translation or version, or a more "complete" version worth studying?

desu senpai I've just read summaries, because at a certain point I didn't feel that islam was worth investigating further. Just worry about the Quran for now and only start worrying about finding a good way to study the hadith when you're nearing completion, if you even still maintain interest by that point.

I think the Quran is a fascinating piece of arabic writing for linguistic reasons (hamzatzortzis.com/essays-articles/exploring-the-quran/the-qurans-unique-literary-form/) but it sucks as far as keeping your interest unless you actually believe in it.

wow that word filter though.

The best version of the Quran avaialable in English is the study Quran

>it is hilarious how disliked Quranists are among Muslims

I can understand why. The Quran borrows a lot of mythology from the Tanakh/Old Testament.

OP, an annotated Qur'an (most correct anglicized spelling) is very much worth your while. You can probably still find Yusuf Ali's floating around, which is what mine is. It has original Arabic and English, footnotes, glossaries, and extensive commentaries. Even if all you want to do is get a better understanding of the book and Islam, it's a lot more fruitful than just picking up the penguin bare-text version. Like the Bible, it's a very complex text that demands serious investigation and reflection, much will be lost or misunderstood. In fact secondary literature is necessary to really get into it (again, like the Bible) but with at least commentary you should be fine.

And you don't need ahadith to understand the Qur'an, just Islamic jurisprudence.

And this book by Abdel Haleem is recommended reading for after, during, or even before taking on the Qur'an.

Perfect. I'll endeavor to find this version if possible. Thanks for the erudite response.

>Interested in reading the Koran
Don't bother. Here's a TL;DR:

1. Strap explosives to yourself
2. Detonate these explosives in the presence of people who have not read the book
3. Expect this to make people read the book

Be sure to re-read it in chronological order afterwards. Note which verses are abrogated.

I think you might be lost user, here's the way

thank you. Looks like a great board. It feels like my 3rd eye just opened. Amazing!

>What should I buy, Veeky Forums?
You should buy yourself a slave-wife.
The Koran says that's OK!

biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus 21&version=ESV

The Study Quran is literally a scam. It's not academic, rather despite the name it's a translation and commentary written from the perspective of (progressive, Western-friendly) Muslims. It's a heavily biased interpretation in other words, not impartial at all. It's very well marketed however: the title alone tricks people into buying it and taking it seriously, as does the nice cover design and size of the tome, which is about 2000 pages (equivalent to the size of a bible), which lends it an air of prestige and authority since westerners associate that size volume with authentic scripture (unlike the bible, the koran is actually only about 200 pages long and can be read in one sitting).

Pic related is the most academic edition and translation available in English.

So does Rand.

>Australian, so practically zero muslim interaction whatsoever
Also Australian. You rural? They're everywhere now.

sounds like the NRSV

Did you know that it is unlawful in the Torah to return an escaped slave to his master?
Did you know that it is unlawful in the Torah to wound your slave, and so much as knocking a tooth out is grounds for his freedom?
Did you know that kidnapping and selling people into slavery is absolutely forbidden by the Torah? And that even buying someone who has been kidnapped is punishable by death?

"You shall not hand over to his master a slave who has escaped from his master to you. He shall live with you in your midst, in the place which he shall choose in one of your towns where it pleases him; you shall not mistreat him." - Deuteronomy 23:16

"“When a man strikes the eye of his slave, male or female, and destroys it, he shall let the slave go free because of his eye. If he knocks out the tooth of his slave, male or female, he shall let the slave go free because of his tooth." - Exodus 21: 26-27

"Whoever steals a man and sells him, and anyone found in possession of him, shall be put to death." - Exodus 21: 16

We tend to think of slavery as a totally inhumane and evil thing, but for many in the ancient world, it was their means for survival. If you had no land, no family, and no prospects, how were you supposed to live? You sold yourself into slavery, and were fed and provided for by your masters. There are regulations in the Torah to keep one from treating their slaves with cruelty or even to return escaped slaves, so selling yourself into Israeli slavery was certainly a better deal than Assyrian slavery, for example.

1. it's boring af
2. you will learn about the history of islam, but regarding philosophical or scientific aspects it's a waste of time
3. why buy, there are enough idiots and terrorist organisations who are happy to give it to you for free
4. good background information. thereligionofpeace.com/