Books about the experience of depression? Similar to The Bell Jar and Catcher in the Rye

Books about the experience of depression? Similar to The Bell Jar and Catcher in the Rye

>inb4 reading books about depression won't cure it
>inb4 go outside

>Catcher in the Rye
He wasn't depressed

Noonday Demon is essential

Catcher was about incest.

He wasn't?

bump

bump

I personally find it very difficult to read books while depressed. If you're depressed, then I recommend going outside and doing more active things rather than sitting inside and reading. Reading is something that's best done in a positive mood.

>If you're depressed, then I recommend going outside and doing more active things rather than sitting inside and reading.

Fuck off. Why does this meme pop up in every thread about depression? I wasn't asking for cures. You're not my doctor stop pretending you know my mental state and current state of treatment.

I have a few recommendations that are not neccessarily "about depression", but share with Salinger/Plath the characteristic of a protagonist who is rather out of his/her mind and whose actions in the book often are not explained/explainable.

Hamsun: Hunger
Markson: Wittgenstein’s Mistress
Dostojewski: Notes From The Underground
Kracht: Faserland (Unfortunately without English translation as of yet, but maybe you happen to know German)
Bernhard: Wittgenstein’s Nephew (This is different from the others in that it has more of an outside viewpoint)

And a few longer ones where you have to look for it. Because no one could bear a 1000 pg "Bell Jar" I think.
DFW: IJ
Mann: Der Zauberberg

Ah, I forgot these two:
Gstrein: Einer (Again, only in German, and also more of an outside view)
Handke: The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick (This one’s more about a kind of psychosis, but still very relatable I feel)

I didn't pretend to know your mental state, which is why I added this part :

>If you're depressed. . .

Pay close attention to that first word :

>If. . .

That word is called a conditional and it means that the following statement only applies to individuals or situations where the conditional clause applies. So don't worry, you don't have to get up off your ass for anything so long as you aren't depressed. But IF you are, then I would not recommend reading books.

There isn't only one state of depression requiring one treatment though. Stop pretending you know people's situations based on 2 sentences and just answer the thread.

If you’re just gonna be a huge jackass, I recommend not posting on Veeky Forums. :)

be honest: are you autistic?

Everyone who posts here is autistic. Every philosopher in history was autistic. Anyone who spends as much time as we do thumbing through pages reading about deeper and deeper levels of ideology and metaphysics is most certainly autistic. If Plato himself came back to life and started posting here everyone would shitpost replies calling him an autist and a pseud.

Thanks! Which of these would you consider the easiest to read? I don't have a lot of energy for reading currently desu

I'm a nobody, but read Hunger, it's the best literature on that list

I don't think you know what autism is, or understand why he was calling you it

Hunger’s a good bet as it doesn’t (iirc) concern itself with a lot of philosophical reflection.

>easiest to read

Kill yourself

Go back to /r9k/, kid. You don't belong here.

There's a massive difference between the diagnosable mental illness of autism and what the internet memes about autism. They aren't literally autistic like Michelangelo was, they fit the meme definition.