Test bake

This is, both officially and unofficially, the highest hydration bread I have ever worked with. My sourdough starter is of unknown hydration. I eyeball it every time I feed it. I poured a bunch of starter out and then I added about a 75% hydration mix of flour and water and 3% kosher salt to make it tasty. I guess the starter is closer to 100% hydration, and I am estimating this to be at 85%.

Stay tuned. I have a couple hours of folding ahead of me. This could be a great success, or it could end in epic failure.

Other urls found in this thread:

bakeinfo.co.nz/Ask-Us/FAQ/Ingredients/What-is-the-role-of-salt-in-bakery-products-
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It will work out fine. My pizza dough is a standard 80%, and I often make baguettes that are 83-85%. It's a nightmare to work with sometimes, but the crumb always winds up being worth it. My recommendation is to avoid making the loaf or loaves too large, since you'll really compromise oven spring by doing that and produce a bread with a rubbery and closed crumb.

I'm curious what your going to proof it in. Last time I made a 78% hydration dough proofed overnight in the fridge, I had real problems getting it out of a lightly oiled bowl.

I have a wooden banneton basket. I actually have two. One larger than the other. I am trying to decide whether to use the smaller or the bigger one. They are both long rectangular load pans. I want to get a circular one as well but I need to figure this stuff out before throwing more money at it.

Previously my best doughs have been things like white bread and dinner rolls, which are relatively low hydration.

based on i will probably use the smaller basket.

Fuck off you disgusting red-headed piece of shit. You think you're god's gift to baking. Kill yourself.

Get fucked you mong.

Thanks. I was trying to avoid it, but I guess I'm going to have to break down and buy the banetton.

If you make baguettes, it might be cheaper to buy a bakers couche for your loaves.

I have one of those too and it works well for baguettes.

>couple hours of folding

You have autism of what?

>Fuck Flour is back
Sweet fucking jesus.

over one mirrion fords!!

You fold it a couple times every 30 minutes once the gluten relaxes.

It's not a million, but it does seem to help the loaf build gluten in a way that better retains gases and leads to a better, more resilent, proof. As well as better oven spring.

Now.. that said.. this will probably be a total flop - even with mirrions or fords.

After motions of fords.

It has a pretty nice skin...

Shaped and ready to proof. All I did was drag my bench scraper back in one direction a couple times. Then one final drag to pick I up. That counts as shaping i guess

Now we wait for that wild sourdough starter to work its magic... no telling how long we will have to wait - but if I have to, i will wait all night.

hopefully only an hour or two though. it was looking pretty sluggish on the countertop. maybe it will be more productive in a warm oven.

>windows phone

I'm the guy that's going to purchase a banneton. Do you dust it with flour before you put the loaf in to rise?

Yes. If you didn't heavily dust it with flour the dough (especially wet doughs) would stick.

Some people say you should condition your banneton before first use by lightly spraying with water and then dusting with flour and then letting that dry.

Others would use some sort of floured couche on top of the banneton to prevent sticking.

>nokia lumia 1020

5 years later, still going strong

I guess the reason banettons work instead of, say stainless, is because the crevices and wood hold the flour.

My 65% hydration comes out so-so (pic related) and I can proof in a stainless without problems, but I want to get the kind of crumb I've seen from 80% hydration doughs.

I've been on a side quest. Turkey legs and gravy. Mmmmm. I need some bread to go with tho. Lets check on that rise...

Its about 3 rings higher in the banneton. That's about doubled. I'm gonna take it out the oven and start preheating.

hmmm for better or worse - she's in le oven.

30 minutes...

My loaves always seem to expand out, not up. Its as if gravity is worse where I live.

Crumb shot in an hour or so.

Looks good but I think people should put more colour on their loaves.

Great job though.

FF likes to brush the flour off of his loaves before he puts them in the oven.

Fuck it, I can never wait that long. Hot bread is fucking delicious.

Dinner. My mom used to make turkey and rice. This is comfort food.

>Looks good but I think people should put more colour on their loaves.

I feel you. I like something as dark or even a little bit darker than pic related. I want the outside to be hard, and when I tap on it, a nice hollow sound. Once I learned to make this, I stopped reading about bread. I just needed an "everyday bread".

Eat shit, crust fags.

My bread is delicious.

;)

I don't think anyone was really going off on your bread. Bread threads are usually pretty good, sort of like the homebrew threads. They generally have a minimum of shitposting.

Yeah I was just messing around. Usually everyone gripes about the crumb. I thought it was funny that they were offering constructive criticism of the crust for a change.

I think that's your shaping game needing some work. If you just force it in to the banneton instead of coaxing it in to the general loaf shape you're going to get a weak outer gluten shell that just blobs out in the oven

Bamp.

Ah, the humble loaf of bread. The gift that keeps on giving.

I can't help that I'm an ubermensch with thick blonde hair and a dense red beard. It's just who I am.

I always check in on bread threads. Lots of other people with good advice and photos these days. Haven't felt the need to chime in.

Whether I brush off flour or not really depends on how heavily I've had to dust the banneton or linen. The last few years I've been using a 50/50 rice flour and wheat flour mix for dusting which has allowed me to greatly reduce the amount that I have to use. It's been great. Also 100% agree on the value of a dark bake.

Looks great to me.

Oh, I forgot to chime in on this. Part of the issue with high hydration breads is that after proofing, they will alllllllways flow outward. Larger loaves make things worse, as do large and deep longitudinal slashes. If you really want upward oven spring on an 85% hydration dough, you need to keep loaf size small, adjust slashing patterns, and create a really tight shape right before proofing. Even then it's not a guarantee.

>hurr durr i'm a baking god
kys

>hurr durr i'mma shitposter
no u

Thanks for that.

I made a sandwich. I know this faggot wanted a picture.

This is what I did today.

>see thread
>want to make bread
>out of flour
>the cheap shitty poorfag white flour I use was recalled recently and is nowhere to be found

Use the botnet and order more, user.
The botnet wants to feed you.

>home IP is suddenly rangebanned
God I love Veeky Forums.

Posting here because I don't know where else to go.

Does anyone have/know any recipes for gluten free breads that aren't cake or taste like shit?

I recently discovered I have celiac and I'm sick of eating rice, potatoes and Asian food all the time.

>>home IP is suddenly rangebanned
>God I love Veeky Forums.

I have also experienced the wonders of the chan and welcome you, fine traveler of the deeper nets.

I have no idea how to make gluten free bread. But here is a healthy bump, good sir. Best of luck on your gluten free baking journey.

>3% kosher salt to make it tasty
as opposed to... 3% normal goy salt to make it non-tasty, or 4% pure blood askhenazi salt to make it supergay?

Canadafag? That Robin Hood recall was a pain in the ass. Luckily ultra poorfag store brand white flour is the same exact shit.

Why not just use a baking tin?

Baking tins aren't artisan, even though baking tins have been used for centuries.

With higher hydrations if you want it to rise properly, you really need to bake it in some sort of dish so the only direction it can expand is up. If you want to bake it "free standing" then the highest i personally ever go is 65%

that's like saying "why not just put training wheels on your bike?"

>not understanding the baker's percentage

although yeah there's no reason at all to use kosher salt over table salt in bread, it completely dissolves anyway

Kosher salt doesn't have iodine and an argument can be made for iodine killing yeast.

Either will work as the small amount of iodine in table salt won't kill a lot of yeast, but if you are looking for the best proof and oven spring possible, be a good goy and use kosher salt.

Or counter it with yeast, since salt is about yeast control, not flavour.

AlsoWhy do you score it BEFORE it's proved?

Holy fucking shit OP, good job. A+

>since salt is about yeast control, not flavour.
..have you ever had unsalted bread
it's not great

>Why do you score it BEFORE it's proved?

That's not scored. That's the under side, or seem side of the load. When you load dough into a banneton or proofing basket you load it in upside down.

The iodine in table salt is way too low a concentration to inhibit fungal growth. The salt itself would be better at inhibiting fungal growth, and it's still too low a concentration in most recipes.

>salt is about yeast control

This is the most retarded thing I have ever read on /ck and I have been here ALL SUMMER.

An argument about iodine certainly can be made. Although ordinary goy salt iodine content is on the order of 10-20ppm. That's not gonna kill a lot of constantly multiplying yeast organisms, which, being constantly reproducing themselves to the tune of doubling their count every few hours, is not going to affect anything at all.

I don't know what's funnier, the fact you could have googled it and arrived at the answer or the fact salt is quite literally retarding yeast.
bakeinfo.co.nz/Ask-Us/FAQ/Ingredients/What-is-the-role-of-salt-in-bakery-products-

salt does retard yeast development, and nobody ever said it doesn't. But you generally do not want to retard yeast development, and that's not why you add salt. If you want to slow yeast development just add less yeast or lower the temperature of your proofing. You add salt so it doesn't taste like you're eating fucking clay

This.

Yeast isn't added to retard yeast, though it does. It is added to make bread taste good.

>salt is about yeast control, not flavour.

This is fucking retarded.

>An argument about iodine certainly can be made

It certainly can. Kosher salt is best salt.

I prefer Morton Pickling salt.
fine salt so it dissolves quickly
No iodine
no anti-caking agents.
cheap at 1.50 for 4lbs.

This is solid advice.

Keep thinking salt is seasoning, that's why chefs make shitty flat bread.
I'll bet you don't even measure it.

After years of making well risen loaves, you are right. I don't measure it.

I bet your loaves TASTE flat.

Have fun retarding your yeast with salt and then making fun of other people for flat loaves...

I'm done with this part of the thread. You're so clearly retarded its not even funny.

>salt isn't seasoning
wow, it's not every day you read the stupidest thing you've ever read.

>I don't measure it.
Knew it.
Enjoy your salty loaves, user

Welcome to 2017 - where it seems more common than not.

>salt is not a seasoning

Try to be a little less obvious next time.

how 2 bake bread with good crust??
i have flour yeast baking powder oats egg butter vinegar water brown sugar
is it possible to make something beyond basic bitch bread

You will need some form of seasoning. Perhaps... salt.

can i use a ramen packet instead

Steam in the oven

Cooks trying to be bakers.
One of you post a picture of your bread that isn't either filled with giant air holes or underdeveloped.

He'll also need that salt so that he can retard the yeast. Without retarding the yeast, he'll end up with a mound of dough that will slowly take over the entire solar system. It will just grow bigger and bigger until it devours the sun. Oddly enough, at that point in time he will have made bread because the sun will bake the entire mound, but its beside the point because the dough will have suffocated him hours earlier.

Yeast leavened dough without salt, not even once.

>how 2 bake bread with good crust??
First of all don't add any of that extra shit, just flour, water, and yeast.
When you shape it to proof, roll it up real tight. And in the oven you're going to want some steam. You can just mist the oven with a spray bottle full of water when you put the bread in, or you can dump boiling hot water in to a pre-heated cast iron pan when you put the bread in, or you can put your bread in a dutch oven if you have one. (preheat the oven with the dutch oven in it, you don't want to put the bread in to a cold dutch oven)

whats proof

Oh I forgot salt, you're going to need that to retard the yeast :^)

how long do you wait for yeast to rise
why do you want to retard yeast
do you cook bread on a metal sheet or should you cook it in a container

now you

when you've shaped it in to the shape of loaf you are going to bake and you leave it to rest/rise a bit, usually while you preheat your oven

>fucktonnes of airholes
>biscuit base

As expected. See you later. 'Master Baker'
lmao

Nice try.

speaking very generally you want to wait until the dough has doubled in size
I was memeing but slowing down the speed of the yeast's activities generally makes the dough easier to work, with because the gluten has more time to rest, along with other chemical shenanigans going on that are too complicated to explain. Those chemical shenanigans also make the dough more flavorful and cause it to get darker in the oven which people seem to like.

I told you previously to be less obvious. Thanks for playing.

You purposely posted the densest bread you could find that you've made and even that was riddled with air holes.
I can't take you seriously.

i thought airholes were desirable
guess im a bread god

>dense bread is good bread

and salt isn't a seasoning

pls go

yeah man. Haven't you ever heard of the ultimate, ideal bread, hard tack?
The perfect bread is a solid, bone dry mass that will literally break your teeth if you try to bite it

In the context of baking, you don't 'season to taste'
That's why it measured.
Dense bread having airholes like that proves that should the poster try a lighter bread, it'd have huge air pockets.
You can even tell from the base that it was put into a cold tin.

Even by shit posting standards this is pretty bad man.

Thanks for the bumps tho.

>That's why it measured.
>why it measured.
>it measured.
>it

BTFO
T
F
O

>I always check in on bread threads. Lots of other people with good advice and photos these days. Haven't felt the need to chime in.
Yeah, but you and The Butcher are the only two namefags that aren't autistic sperglords that actually contribute something useful and relevant to this board. I'd rather see only one of your threads to 1000s of these retarded shitposts.

Breakfast with my bread. Anyone else bake?

My bread stuck to the pan and exploded at the stuck edge

Made this cinnamon raisin bread a little bit ago, came out pretty delicious.

also cooked this rosemary bread this morning. Don't have a crumb shot yet because I haven't cut into it.

One of my first attempts at baking, accidentally used the broiler settings on my buns. overcooked on top, undercooked on bottom. fug.