Any books that represent the comfy yet melancholy winter season?

Any books that represent the comfy yet melancholy winter season?

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/radio3documentary/r3docs-20-jan-13-a-brief-1
soundcloud.com/radio3essays/forests-and-faith-under-the
soundcloud.com/radio3essays/northern-lights-cornerstones-1
soundcloud.com/radio3documentary/sunday-feature-the-1
bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03bc96m
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I like to reread Oblomov when the weather outside is frightful.

what if the fire is so delightful?

blaze it

Someone should chop up all the comfy winter parts of Harry Potter into one book desu

The Magic Mountain.

MY DIARY DESU
Y

D
I
A
R
Y

T
B
H

children's fairy tales

Well Oblomov is the embodiment of the 'since we've got no place to go' sentiment.

Catcher in the Rye

Why no one likes Summer here?

Because it's not Veeky Forums

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is comfy for winter. Most Murakami is

>children's fairy tales
Not far off. I think traditional stories in general fit. Obviously northern ones in particular. I've lined up pic related for December.

Looking forward to reading Gawain and the Green Knight over the Christmas period.

I like summer

Warm weather is for low iq savages who can't read.

The closer you get to the equator the less patrician you get.

I get too sweaty and too self conscious

The Castle by Kafka is bretty good cold weather book.

have you ever been on Veeky Forums during the summer?

i'm just starting Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and so far it's like cold or something the kids are about to go on winter break or something

this guy gets it

>tfw going to read this next

Moominland Midwinter (Tove Jansson)

last story of Dubliners

collected ghost stories of MR James

wuthering heights has most seasons

Gravity's Rainbow

the start of Moby Dick is ultra-comfy modo.

winter is sterile and quiet, people don't want to go out there aren't any bugs in the air bothering you.

it's also easier to warm up in the cold than cool off in the heat, and there's a particular type of warmth that can only be achieved by having part of your body exposed to cold air, such as your nose and ears, while the rest of your body is wrapped up warmly.

normie season

what are these like? been meaning to read for a while

In the Heart of the Heart of the Country has some stunning depictions of winter.

I've always enjoyed reading Moby Dick around mid-autumn, early winter. The writing and the story seem to pair nicely with this time of year, especially in New England.

weird, eerie, gothic, like the feeling that someone is watching you when you sleep
start with oh whistle and i'll come to you my lad

Moby Dick makes me want to visit Nantucket in December.

I remember flying from London to JFK in early March a few years ago and looking out the window over a frozen Canadian and New England Atlantic coastline. It looked comfy as hell.

Summer can be Veeky Forums in a Southern Gothic, hazy sort of way but it is not quite as comfy as winter. If you have not ever spent a winter in the Northern part of the country then I would understand not seeing the appeal of winter.

Summer is nice but winter transforms the world. When I think of winter I think first of the feeling you get when walking outside after a snowstorm. You look around and everything is some shade of white or grey. The ground blends into the sky. Every space is smaller; the road, sidewalks, and driveways become roughly defined passages. Every sound is muted; instead you hear the sounds of snow. You might not know this but snow falling from the sky makes a sound, heard behind and above you. There is the sounds of people trying to tame snow, shovels scraping, salt hitting the ground. Most memorable is the sound snow makes as it moves against itself, the crunch of boots or skis or sleds pushing the powder into the ground.

I'm Brazilian, so I never truly experienced winter.

You think of winter as very dark, also, but when the snow falls even in the middle of the night you can see everything very clearly because it reflects the tiniest bit of light very well.

I don't really think of winter as dark, sorry if it came across that way. Though I think you'd have to agreed that during a snowstorm it is darker than not, and I find this comforting.

Winter is actually brighter in many ways than summer, a sunny day in winter is almost too bright.

The reflective qualities of snow are extremely comfy.

Come visit!

New England is comfy year round, every season i a different sort of way. I used to think I wanted to live out west in the mountains but I know I'll never leave.

Winter in early months is beautiful, in later months is wretched and disgusting, especially in a city. I live in eastern Canada, where we get a LOT of snow from maritime climates (Perpetually 5+feet of snow on the ground). Snow ploughs constantly have to be in operation, pushing and compacting snow to the sides of roads so traffic can continue. This gets mixed with all the sludge, dirt, and dust that is normally there underfoot but is not visible due to the black asphalt and gritty sidewalks. The contrast with the white snow makes it look like enourmous mountains of filth that stay there on the side of the road for months (jan-april, sometimes may) and are like massive ugly monoliths of shit throughout the city. Also, you faggots aestheticize shoveling snow but it is hard, backbreaking work, especially when there is as much of it as there is here.

Winter fucking sucks

Shoveling snow is rewarding and not especially difficult if you're not a pussy.

Also I find the ugliness of late winter to be creatively inspiring, although in a different way than early winter.

Maybe you should move somewhere tame so that winter doesn't offend you're delicate sensibilities.

>Come visit!
I hope I can, in the future.

>Shoveling snow is rewarding and not especially difficult if you're not a pussy.

You don't live where I live.

Take your pathetic Steinbeckian wankery somewhere else. My father can no longer walk from snow-shoveling ruining his back, and I've slipped a disc doing the same. Maybe you think it's pretty to get all sweaty like the common man once or twice a year. When it's something you have to do for two hours a day, every day for 6 months of the year, sometimes twice daily (a chore infinitely more difficult than any strenuous gym routine) it loses its 'reward' pretty fucking quickly

Your poor technique is not that user's fault, pal.

it has nothing to do with technique when it is something you do day in and day out for years. The body eventually wears down

>Why no one likes Summer here?

There are less people around. I don't like people much.

There are no insects. I hate insects.

The night is longer. I like the night. I like it when I can roam the streets in the dark without having to stay up very late and I especially like it when I get up and it's still dark and I see a rectangle of that rusty orange hue that the cloud-covered sky takes in a city lit by sodium lights. I can curl back and imagine for a while that it will never end.

There is less sun. I don't like the sun. What sun there is is light amber and slanted and carves long shadows.

My body doesn't deal well with heat and humidity. There's nothing you can do to ward off heat if you're outside. There's only so many layers you can take off and even if you were to go about stark naked, it wouldn't help much. In fact it would be worse because you'd be exposed to that blunt white sun that makes the sky feel like a lid and everything under it look dirty. In the winter you can always put on another sweater, hat, mitten, fur. You can move more. There's not much less you can move when you're lying in the shade and it still feels like the air is vaporized sweat in a city-wide smelly sauna, save of having a cardiac arrest.

In the winter it is easier to be alone.

Best of all, winter essentializes the landscape--and if that's not a word, you know what it would mean if it was. With less people, animals, sometimes even cars around, less leaves, bushes, grass, with drab colours and a blank sky, fall and winter distill the great outside to its basic shapes and intentions. Snow is, of course, the ultimate equalizer. It democratically uplifts or nihilistically annuls, depending on how you are inclined to see it. I, for one, each time I wake up to tamed roofs across the street, dream for a while of a silent second flood by a covenant-breaking senile god.

So basically what my esteemed fellow contributors have better said here:

>I don't really think of winter as dark
t. southerner

Already approaching 6 hrs of daylight here and I'm just at the 60th parallel north

>Mabinogion

Nice choice man, look into the Codex Aneirin too, particularly if you like early medieval Welsh poetry.

You should invest in a snow blower. Worth every penny.

t. norwegian lad

"To Build a Fire" Jack London

this story is literally the opposite of comfy, it's about a man slowly dying in the tundra while his dog watches

really?

>look into the Codex Aneirin too
Thanks, I shall. I'd really like to learn more about Welsh myth and traditional stories in general because they're highly under-represented in general Celtic literature, and, despite being from Wales, I learnt very little whilst growing up.

OFFICIAL Veeky Forums seasons ranking:

winter >>>>> autumn > spring >>>>> summer

(the >'s are log base 10)

Why do you guys like winter so much? It's depressing. What's wrong with summer?

Real winter is shite, there's a reason all the eskimos an hero. Autumn is depressing af. Spring is the most lit and summer is the overall GOAT season. desu.

Well said.

I guess most people are southerners compared to you. Whats it like up there?

>there's a reason all the eskimos an hero
Yeah, because their traditional culture and way of life has been completely devalued and made untenable by the introduction of the oil industry into the arctic circle.

>Autumn is depressing

What?

Come visit

I love the movie, I'll be sure to check this out.

I'd hate to have such a negative outlook on life.

Many people shovel snow as much or more than you and are fine. And like the other user said, maybe just get a snowblower if you are so beat down from shoveling.

>Not living in a tropical village where seasons don't matter, and it's allways warm and sunny.

ISHYGDDT

Winter is not to be experienced in cities. Real winter exists when you go out into the woods and rural areas. Til the snow reaches you eyebrows, walk on frozen lakes in the middle of the night and gaze up at the stars and aurora borealis. While a luxury for some, winter with snow hardens oneself.

Plus you can spend all day inside, by a fire with a good book, or create something.

this is the least Veeky Forums thing possible

I feel like it should be said for clarity that when we talk of winter we're not talking about a half inch of snow in East Texas.

Or at least I'm not.

>What?

I meant it's depressing after the leaves fall off and the world suddently looks like some post-apocalyptic russian hellhole.

"El coronel no tiene quien le escriba" Gabriel García Márquez

"No One Writes to the Colonel" Gabriel García Márquez

Read this and you will understand tropic quietness and melancholy.

Now that you mention it, winter is pretty cozy out in the middle of nowhere or even the suburbs. I'd forgotten that because winter in cities is like, fuck this I'm just going to jump out of my window. Nothing cozy about it, unless you live in a scenic/historical city with 400 year old coffee shops and bookstores.

People down there tend to be quick to anger. Weather to too hot, therefore the people are too hot. Not lit

again, this

>reading third tier spic lit

ISHYGDT

If you want to understand the literariness of winter and the cold then I recommend this short radio documentary.

soundcloud.com/radio3documentary/r3docs-20-jan-13-a-brief-1

I live in the middle of a city and the last blizzard was amazing. All the roads were empty and the rows of townhouses look gorgeous. I walk across the street from my house to watch the snow fall on the main road while drinking a glass of port and eating a bowl of chowder at a pub

>falling to Veeky Forums memes

ISHYGDDT

spics get out. see

some i've liked to reread for that winter sense:

kawabata - snow country
tanizaki - some prefer nettles
mishima - spring snow
dazai - the setting sun

ishiguro - artist of the floating world
murakami - hardboiled wonderland and the end of the world

calvino - the complete cosmicomics

joyce - the dead

>murakami - hardboiled wonderland and the end of the world
The alternate chapters that take place in that strange dream world are fantastic wintery reading.

>There are places in the world where people break their backs shoveling fucking snow

Move tbqh.

>Summer isn't Veeky Forums
Try having an amazing day in an exotic beach in Brazil to sit down by the pool, exausted, in a stuffy warm night, hearing only the splashing waves and the coconut palms in the strong wind
Then tell me you wouldn't want to read the shit out of a book

yes murakami's prose can get kind of stilted or repetitive in some works, but he's perfect for that winter, snow, nostalgia wistful melancholic flavor

thi sis pretty comfy thx

>it's another spic episode

i want this rerun to stop desu

it's both dark and cold, but unlike the darkness you get used to the cold

I live in a tropical city in Brazil, at 300 meters from the beach.
It sucks.

shit son the Jappos really this patrician about winter?

not him but yes

the comfy feeling of winter melancholy, of bleakness, of atavistic, ancestral memories and the past, fits extremely well with japanese aesthetics

You're welcome. I've been gathering some comfy Radio 3 shows for winter listening this year.

soundcloud.com/radio3essays/forests-and-faith-under-the
soundcloud.com/radio3essays/northern-lights-cornerstones-1
soundcloud.com/radio3documentary/sunday-feature-the-1
bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03bc96m

Tons of bunda though.

The moomin winter book, Taikatalvi in finnish

Pic is from my window a minute ago, from Helsinki, the very south of the country
We have sunlight for 6 hours and 20 minutes per day, it is getting shorter still. The sun set five hours ago and it will rise in 13 hours.

I fucking hate autumn, wish it was winter

fugg I wish I could be in Funland

i really enjoyed Tanizak's In Praise of Shadows as a short essay introduction to Japanese aesthetics—not directly winter-related, but topical with themes of subtlety, contrast, elegance, and landscapes

this is what i have in mind when someone calls a novel "comfy"—a sense of memory, detachment, and looking back at some part of your life

winter is a good season for that

Veeky Forumserally why

it's cold but it doesn't snow
without snow you cannot see anything outside
it is not the end-of-summer-kind-of-autumn, it's the fuck-you-with-dead-treebranches kind of autumn we've had going on for some two months now
We got some snow a couple weeks ago but it all melted

Where do you live?

West Coast canada Herę
Never get snów, only rains.its rain 50 of the last 52 days here in Vancouver. If I wasn't in school I'd love it so I could read all day. Instead I'm stuck with finals and working on the side. I have comfy movie recs:
Dekalog
Beau Travail
Fargo
Let the Right One In (original)

Looks and sounds just like Britain. What's the deal? I thought you Scandis were supposed to live in a winter wonderland?

Canada. We got snow but its all but melted now and we've got frozen rain now.

No other reason than I'd like to visit Funland :)

Is pic related more what you were looking for?
taken a couple years ago

I'd like to visit Canada and Minnesota (for the finno-american memes)
Where in Canada would be good?

what are you looking for? I'm usually in Quebec and it's pretty comfy here. Don't worry about speaking French. If you come here and its evident (by I'm assuming your accent) no one will bother you.

The West Coast has some of the best mountains and trails if you're into outdoor activities

Almost all of it black.

And? Are you in Bahia?

I've actually mainly thought about Quebec as I speak french (my father is from Genève) and it borders the Hudson Bay. I also like the whole separatist thing de la belle province, hon hon hon
Though I saw a film from Quebec and couldn't comprehend a word, that's a thick dialect you guys have there