Canadian literature. does it exist? is it anything other than DUDE AT LEAST WE AREN'T AMERICA LMAO

Canadian literature. does it exist? is it anything other than DUDE AT LEAST WE AREN'T AMERICA LMAO

Sasha sokolov was born in Canada

Read Wacousta. Also, check out Margaret Atwood.

Alice Munro is the best living author

>t. Norm

But really, Anne Carson is brilliant

that's actually the only canadian author I've read. the handmaid tale. was alright.

Tons of good CanLit out there, from batshit insane to quite normal.

>Leonard Cohen
D-does this mean that he's a candidate for the Canadian Nobel Prize for Literature?

Mavis Gallant, bruh. Probably the best canuck writer of all time, Munro shills be damned.

Mordecai Richler

Michael Ondaantje

Joseph Boyden

Mavis Gallant

Al Purdy

Sure, but he already turned that down ages ago (Governor General's Award, 1968: refused).

How the fuck has no one mentioned Robertson Davies yet? Isn't he famous in Canada?

He's probably the best Canadian novelist ever...See: Fifth Business.

We just started listing (I didn't bother because there are just too many good names). I like Margaret Atwood, Robertson Davies, Timothy Findley, Anne Hebert, Evelyn Lau, Alice Munro, Michael Ontaatje, Jane Urquhart, Dionne Brand, George Elliott Clarke, Leonard Cohen, etc.

Albertan here, local flea market guy comes into a lot of Canadian literature and I usually buy 5-7 books off him every weekend. A lot of books on railways and rivers and lakes fascinate me. Also a lot of stories of early RCMP officers and their experiences, and a few books on native Americans.

Goof stuff, really like the geological ones.

Timothy Findley

New Canadian Library is a good place to look for decent books, like an earlier user said. I like the old paperback design from the 60s-70s better than the new design they have now, though.

Canadian here, the only canadian book ive read that's jumping to mind is The Book of Negroes, which is pretty great. Also that album is amazing.

Hugh Maclennan
Graeme Gibson
Gilles Henault
George Bowering
Christian Bok
Al Purdy
Rawi Hage
Evelyn Lau
Bliss Carman

There's tons of great Canadian lit and yet we still have this thread once every three weeks.

Read a fucking book.

If you want to count comics/graphic novels Bryan Lee O'Malley is pretty good. Scott Pilgrim and Seconds really capture the mindset of being a Young Adult and the mental hangups people face.

Come on, no Saul Bellow yet?

Mordecai Richler is great but most great canadian literature is written in french.

Also the baby freezes to death.

Does anyone here have an opinion on Douglas Copeland? I haven't read anything by hm but i know the CBC adapted at least one of his books

He's not everyone's cup of tea, but I love almost all of Douglas Coupland's work

Microserfs and jpod were ok, but the other two books of his ive read(generation A, gum thief) put me off of him bigtime. They both start of decent but slowly devolve into him trying to meme a story in a story into a good idea.

Dis nigga

Hey, Nostradamus! is his best novel. Life After God is probably second.

>nobody mentions Marian Engel
Bear is literally the first think I think of when someone says "Canadian literature."