Do you guys read any literary magazines?

Do you guys read any literary magazines?

Other urls found in this thread:

theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2001/07/a-readers-manifesto/302270/
theparisreview.org/interviews/4424/william-s-burroughs-the-art-of-fiction-no-36-william-s-burroughs
pastebin.com/wCQ4rs9K
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Are there any literary journals that don't publish a lot of pretentious bullshit? I agree with this article, I just want more like Dubliners, Moby Dick, and Wuthering Heights. Anybody sympathize?

theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2001/07/a-readers-manifesto/302270/

The Paris Review

Thank you. Any reasoning?

the interviews

I love interviews, but am more of a Princess Diana, Edie Sedgwick, Marilyn Monroe last interview kind of guy.

I'm too lazy to explain in detail, but Steven Moore's book on the history of the novel (The introduction sums his book up well and you can read it on Google Books) is a cogent argument against the type of attitude that article (which is specifically targetted) and many critics habor towards difficult erudite fiction.

I would rather read Dostoyevsky's The Gambler again then read 'difficult' fiction. If we were talking about music it would be should I listen to David Bowie more or try to appeciate Death Grips (or Prince, unless I listened to the wrong Prince songs).

Or maybe I would compare the kind of writing I don't enjoy to how /ic/ loves concept art. I'd rather look at Picasso's bull-fighting inks.

I like popular art, I just want to read lit mags so I can critique how unpopular it is to me while looking around for something noteworthy.

I used to read Lateral.

The Atlantic can be really hit or miss, some of their articles are outright idiotic, while others (like that) are pretty good

The Paris Review's interviews are amazing but you can find the best online. I've never outright subscribed but if I like the interviewee I will buy one.

NYRB.

One good article out of 10, and the election season was outright garbage. They were clearly cherrypicking works to make their own political statement, and then reviewing them en-masse.

I read a William S Burroughs interview a long time ago that was amazing; I just looked it up and it's from the Paris Review.

I'm tired of the online experience, I want something curated.

theparisreview.org/interviews/4424/william-s-burroughs-the-art-of-fiction-no-36-william-s-burroughs

Switch Prince and David Bowie but honestly you listen to some shit either way.

i think they have a deal going where if you sign up for the paris review you can get a subscription to NYRB book club, which gives you one newly published NYRB book every month

Thanks, man.

David Bowie is a great pop musician; I have no idea why you are putting personal taste into it.

Allright, I feel like a bit of a dick. So I'll give Prince another shot. He's actually popular according to wikipedia.

>Not Dima Sedgwick

Thank you very much for the femboy. But, no.

Acumen. It's a poetry journal.

>more like Dubliners, Moby Dick, and Wuthering Heights

I wouldn't expect to find 19th Century work in a modern literary journal.

Moby Dick was not critically acclaimed at the time, so it's not like the establishment of his day recognized it as great or even good.

Regular ready of:

Poetry Magazine
Georgia Review
Rattle
Paris Review

The Atlantic has been mentioned here. It's not a literary magazine.

Pushcart anthology is worth checking out.

Sturgeon's Law is in effect. Don't expect a literary magazine to provide timeless classics in every issue.

Yeah, but think about how often /mu/ gets a new band like Chvrches or Grimes or whatever they like now.

And, if 19th century works are more popular and talked about then contemporary fiction, you would think there would be a pre-raphaelite brotherhood type backward looking magazine.

>I love this article. The first time I read "All the Pretty Horses" in high school, I hated it.

N+1
ISR

those are pretty leftist and the latter is definitely more centered around political economy but they are high quality and ad-free (for the most part)

I buy Lampan's quarterly and N+1 every once in awhile. I used to anticipate New Philosopher, but my city is full of plebs who won't read it and all shops have stopped ordering them.

I don't want to doll out 79$ for a subscription

Lapham's Quarterly

You guys get the Alexander Hamilton special issue yet?

I've been looking for this too.

thanks for linking this
loved it, shared with friends

read a few articles about this book and the introduction since i couldnt find a pdf. seems like its btfo by this one passage though:

>We can see ourselves reflected more clearly in Balzac's Parisians than in a modern American who goes into raptures when his daughter says "Toyota Celica" in her sleep. This is not to say that traditional realism is the only valid approach to fiction. But today's Serious Writers fail even on their own postmodern terms. They urge us to move beyond our old-fashioned preoccupation with content and plot, to focus on form instead—and then they subject us to the least-expressive form, the least-expressive sentences, in the history of the American novel.

Does anybody here rate literary magazines on their cover art?

Doesn't Veeky Forums have Identitylit or something?

Are there any millennial authors that you guys are interested in. It is acceptable if they are screenwriters like Lena Dunham from Girls.

Seriously guys, I want someone to root for.

My one-year subscription to the TLS just ended but I'm not going to resubscribe. It's not that bad, just not good enough, and the political pieces are often embarrassingly shallow. I just gave The London Review of Books a try, but it's absolutely terrible. It feels like it's written for middle-aged women who want to feel like intellectuals. The political pieces are guardian-level.

Also looking for recommendations.

I don't have time for magazines. I wish I did.

I'm considering buying used copies of Norton intro to lit and other college lit books because I imagine it is much cheaper then magazines.

what kind of books?

>Norton intro to lit

I already have this one

They're really cheap, but obviously the magazines have more value as a collectors item (assuming the prints are limited).

Basically between 4 and ten bucks (incl. shipping) for old copies.

Hard to say if worth it.

pastebin.com/wCQ4rs9K

Here is my favorite short story so far from this book.