Panera Bread Sold to MegaCorp That Owns Krispy Kreme Doughnuts

nytimes.com/2017/04/05/business/dealbook/panera-bread-jab-.html
>JAB Holding Company has acquired the American brands Peet’s Coffee, Caribou Coffee and Keurig Green Mountain, all since 2012. It also combined the European coffee giant D.E. Master Blenders 1753 with the coffee business of Mondelez to create a company now known as Jacobs Douwe Egbert.

>Now JAB needs somewhere to sell all that coffee. On Wednesday, JAB, which is privately held, said it would add the Panera restaurant chain to its growing empire of American coffee and food favorites for $7.5 billion, including debt.

>In 2014, JAB bought the bagel chain Einstein Brothers, which it has been combining with Caribou is some markets. And last year, it paid $1.35 billion for Krispy Kreme, the struggling doughnut chain. With the acquisition of Panera, JAB will have spent more than $40 billion in what appears to be a big bet that it can muscle in on a market dominated by Starbucks and Nestlé.

>The restaurant business in general has been in the doldrums for the last couple of years, with most big chains struggling to eke out increases in same-store sales of even 1 or 2 percent. The NPD Group, a research and consulting firm, predicts that traffic in restaurants in the United States will remain stalled this year as well. The firm predicts that quick-service restaurant chains like McDonald’s and KFC, which account for 80 percent of the total traffic in the restaurant industry, will see a 1 percent increase in visits this year.

The consolidation of the restaurant industry continues..
How much longer can Chipotle hold out?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipotle_Mexican_Grill
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Isn't chipotle owned by mcdonalds?

not for close to a deade

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipotle_Mexican_Grill
>Founded by Steve Ells in July 1993, Chipotle had 16 restaurants (all in Colorado) when McDonald's Corporation became a major investor in 1998. By the time McDonald's fully divested itself from Chipotle in 2006,[19] the chain had grown to over 500 locations.

Also I find it hilarious that a chain which builds itself up as a healthy alternative with ingredients that are free of artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, preservatives, and GMOs is now gonna be owned by the same company as a doughtnut shop.

Cyberpunk becomes more and more real every day.

Tired of these Hedge Fund douches tampering with the food industry

I don't really see why it's funny. Various companies will have a healthier alternative to increase customers.

>sweetie
I want tumblr to leave

>JAB Holding Company
I guess incest comics really make bank.

The worst part about those assholes is that they control a huge portion of the wealth in America and they're almost all retards who can be conned very easily. They're the only salesman who can be sold on anything. Some friends and I got 4 hedge fund managers to just give us hundreds of thousands of dollars without any paperwork, contracts, a specific product or service ever being mentioned, or ever actually promising to do anything for them. We just bamboozled them with buzzwords and fast-talk.
And they handle so much money that they never even bothered to try to contact us again. Hundreds of thousand of dollars is nothing to them. We paid off our student loan debts and bought newish cars but they forgot about it a day later.

>peets coffee

I guess that's why their amazing tea selection disappeared one day just to be replaced by mid-tier grocery store level stuff. I barely ever go anymore, the loose leaf Twinings I have at home is better quality than the mighty leaf stuff they're pushing now.

Panera was always garbage, so who cares

Panera is gay hipster shit anyways, nothing ever tops making your own baked goods because lemme tell you, these niggas don't know what a cwoissant is even if I slapped them upside the head with it

>JAB
Ay papi...

we'll see what this means for the future of panera, quality wise. It all depends on how poorly the business was doing when it was bought. The article said that the company owned stores were doing well, but the 60% of stores that are franchised are not doing as well, generally. If ay papi tries to mess with the business model of Panera, expect to see some quality drops in areas. But that doesn't seem too likely, as the CEO said in the article that he "plans to continue to lead Panera". But who knows what could happen

I'm a night baker at panera

AMA

>adding a premium brand to your roster to capture more market share by appealing to wealthier consumers

Smart business if you ask me.

>Espresso House
>Baresso
>Peet's
>Stumptown
>Intelligentsia
>Caribou
>Keurig
>Green Mountain
>Jacobs
>Tassimo
>Moccona
>Senseo
>L'or
>Douwe Egberts
>Kenco
>Pilao
>Gevalia

I don't think this new holding company owns enough coffee brands

I like the idea of Panera bread food but I can't eat there. I see the clientele walking in and don't want to turn into one of them. Even the fat chick with the "i'm different in the exact same way as everyone else that claims to be different" purple hair dye kills my appetite.

Say what?

Man, Mark Kozelek is gonna be pissed

>no contracts, no collateral, no proof of concept
Yeah, didn't happen. Those guys would have to be INCREDIBLY stupid to believe that.

What's it like to be so self conscious and insecure?

Panera the most overpriced and overrated restaurant chain in the country. $7 for a tiny bowl of soup. Fuck you soup jews

im at the combination panera/krispy kreme

nice old meme for you boys

>Those guys would have to be INCREDIBLY stupid to believe that
That was the entire point, fuckwit. Work on your reading comprehension.

What if their diet caused that? I'm sure the cannibal that didn't want to eat human brain was ridiculed as insecure but he also didn't roll his eyes into the top of his head and keel over from prions. And that's how I view Panera Bread. Whatever they are eating, not worth the risk. And they are attracted to that place like flies on a turd.

Im a night baker at panera, i was laughing my dick off cus like 4 months ago we had a stock option and i got mad because i thought i was jewed out of some money while choosing my healthcare and 401k option.
Jab payed me 3 thousand dollars for that fucking share.

Hoooooooeeeyyyy

Go to vegas for two nights! One grand for spending is plenty. Pussy, gambling, food.

Serious question: Are you retarded or just autistic?

I know you made this post in jest, but he works nights shift at Panera, thinks sticks are a ripoff and, apparently, thinks $3000 is a windfall of money, of course he is going to blow it on something stupid.

>mcdonalds builds chipotle up to a recognized brand
>mac daddy devests
>chipotles standards and food safety, and reputation plummet

don't let anyone tell you mcdonalds isn't a good company

McDonald's knows marketing and logistics.

>want French onion soup in a breadbowl
>sorry
>we're out of breadbowls
>fine
>I'll have a sandwich
>that will be $8
>wait 10 minutes for a 4 ingredient sandwich

Fuck Panera. Bread is twice as expensive as any bakery, food is bland and overpriced.

Everyone is clutching pearls over this when its no big deal. JAB just wants more downmarket exposure for their coffee. Panera is keeping all management and is going private which will likely help restaurant quality as rapid growth is no longer the number one priority. Just think of it as jab bought space in every Panera to sell their coffee.

Low tier non-gas station coffee. Maybe with a larger margin of the market, they can get that shit sorted and I can stand to be around the religious old and leftist young.

lets you and me start a coffee stand across the street from one of those random shithouses, and sell it in a week for a few hundred k

things about panera bread
>I bought some on a road trip once and had to stop and shit in the woods
>bought coffee there another time and it was tasteless but inoffensive
>My 55 year old aunt manages one, she recent married a dude in his early thirties that she met in a crackhouse

What kind of connections did you have to swing that deal in the first place?

Yeah all of em run out of everything I blame it on the fact that there's only one baker at night who has to push everything out by 5 am.

Also I'm also a night baker at panera.
Ask me anything
Few tips
Panera is a shot company to work for unless youre a woman.
Graveyard is a scam
Don't work for franchise paneras.

We are moving into 3rd (4th?) wave food industry. Regional places like Culvers and Wawa are expanded, old guard place collapsing. Add on top of young people turning to independent places for meals and we got a full on panic going on.

Two of my friends met two of the guys at a bar and hit it off. They were always talking about how much money they throw around so I came up with the idea to get some of it.

>Don't work for franchise paneras.
There was an opening for a night baker in my area by I shyed away from it for reasons

1. What's a typical night shift like for you?
2. What baked goods do you spend the most and least time on?
3. How do the ingredients arrive?
4. Do you have big industrial equipment to use?
5. Proofing?
6. Do you get to take any product home or discounted meals?

Well... I don't have purple hair, do not smell like a hippie, do not virtue signal of Facebook, wear black rimmed glasses to try to look smart, identify as the opposite sex for the purpose of pissing, nor eat at Panera Bread. And I suspect all these things are related. And it seems this offends you thus you self-identify as one or more of these things and you eat at Panera Bread. Thus the data appears to match the hypothesis: It's something in their food.

Not the user you we're talking to, but you may be autistic user. Eating food from certain places doesn't change you mentally, it's like saying that eating at Wendy's occasionally will turn you into an ameriburger. What restaurants serve on their menus attract their clientele but it's not going to magically change someone.

>1. What's a typical night shift like for you?

Night shift is responsible for baking every thing before the store opens at 6 am.
But everything actually needs to be done by 430. Depending on the day you also have to keep and organize inventory and keep up with ordering to make sure the cafe is stocked at all times.

>2. What baked goods do you spend the most and least time on?

Depends on what the cafe has more off.
Some cafes want up like 5 of each muffin while others ask for up to 100.

>3. How do the ingredients arrive?
A company called sygma delivers most of the frozen and produce. All the fresh dough is made off site and shipped daily in giant transporters

>4. Do you have big industrial equipment to use?

Industrial ovens and proofers.

>5. Proofing?
All the fresh dough is proofed in our proofers.

>6. Do you get to take any product home or discounted meals?
Every day you get up to 10 bucks to buy lunch with. You can buy more but they take off 10 bucks
You don't get the 10 bucks if you don't spend it its called the bakers meal. You don't get discounts other than that

Graveyard sucks. They literally only pay you 1 dollar more for doing more work. Work day shift.

It's not worth the risk. It's not prions, but it's more like toxoplasma gondii.

You are, without a doubt, 100% autistic.