Is this guy worth reading, or is he just "whoa spooooky"? Why are europeans so obsessed with him?

Is this guy worth reading, or is he just "whoa spooooky"? Why are europeans so obsessed with him?

Worth it if you have literary taste and don't make your decisions based on popular opinion or memes

They have little knowledge of English, so they can't tell that his prose style is unintentionally hilarious.

He is worth reading, yes. Start with the Raven and if you like that you'll like his other stuff.

Whatever, I find it great.

It's intentional. A third of his work consists of satire.

I only like him because of The Simpsons desu

Tryhards on Veeky Forums dislike him because The Raven is one of the most popular poems ever written

I think the Telltale Heart is good

He truly embraced the Veeky Forumserary lifestyle.

Was a favourite in my teenage years. Still enjoy reading some of his poetry from time to time, really good technique.

>Is this guy worth reading, or is he just "whoa spooooky"?

Both

I like his literary criticism more than his actual work desu. The essay where he describes how he wrote the Raven is great

Listening to it read aloud is even better than reading it, imo.

Literally one of the greatest poets imo although he gets dismissed by pseudo-"patrician" people because >edgy. Anyone who studies poetry seriously knows how talented he is.

Fall of the House of Usher and the Goldbug are my favorites

The case of mr valdemar and the mask of red death are pretty good

What do you like so much about the Goldbug? Is it the ebonics? Just seemed like a lackluster adventure story that went on longer than it should.

>writes the first modern detective story
>an orangutan did it lol

The genre never stood a chance.

The Purloined Letter was good, though.

I like Marie Roget but that's just cause I like autism.

The Black Cat is my favourite :^)

I preferred it to the Telltale Heart. Also like Pit and the Pendulum.

bump against sqm

Is this good? I've never read his works.