Who here didn't finish infinite jest?

Im 70 pages in and I just can't do it anymore. I read for pleasure and this is not pleasurable.

>I read for pleasure

the true mark of a pleb

I also read more or less 70 pages, some years ago, and understood that it is supposed to be a depressing book. As I was already a bit so, I risked not aggravate my state. That is, was afraid of reading it, still am, maybe

Hedonist.

I'm on like page 200 and I've been reading it for almost a year.

stopped around 450 to read other books and come back to it. that was over 2 years ago. it's weird because I was enjoying it. just not compelled to finish it.

Really? I'm at page 67 and I love it so far.

my fucking sides.

who else /hasn'tstarted/ here

Keep reading, friends. Even if you don't enjoy it, finishing it is an accomplishment and you'll have a great idea of what you don't like in a book.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Read it first time about five years ago, reread it last year. After all, you can only really read a book the second time through.

OP felt the same way, but page 68 is absolutely spirit-crushing

Why does everyone here love this book.
what's so special about it?

there's actually nothing special about it and because of that it appeals a little to everyone

You're a stupid fucking faggot, just quit living f am

Laughed hard.

I made it through fine, and I've read it 2.5 times since finishing it. I tend to just read sections of it when I'm in the mood.

have you stopped at that part because it is sort of tedious? I don't blame you but I think if you understand how many observations on power, human interaction, language he makes all in that gompert scene you may appreciate it more.He can just change voices and thoughts of characters so skillfully, I find it impressive.

i started it with the infinite summer reading club here on lit, but like pretty much everyone else, quit it by page 170 or so. only returned to it recently and am at 550 atm. its good, but i can't see it being my fav ever as so many people have when they read it.

Is it depressing? Dont know why, but I always assumed it would be kinda life-affirming or at least present a solution to the problems he talks about.
(Havent read it)

havent finished it yet, but there are a bunch of parts about altruism and how it works in AA that at the same time went into depressing detail about it, and made me feel warm inside.

Read 750. Couldn't finish it.

I read it last summer during my work breaks really. Somehow I feel nostalgic for that time.

i bought IJ on black friday, can't wait to start reading

There arent any solutions or life affirmations. The book is bleak and I would argue you misread an entire 1000 pages if you walk away from it feeling optimistic. Maybe inspired but not optimistic

how many bookmarks you got, senpai?

I mean if you didn't find that comprehensive filmography of James Incandenza hilarious then you should stop reading and just save yourself the time.

read the end of his post lad

none, i actually make my own bookmarks folding any kind of paper

I read for pain
what does that make me?

Finished it yesterday, but I started around February of 2015.

Read it and find out.
Unless you're not acquainted with DFW, then read Consider the lobster, Brief interviews with hideous men, then IJ.

post it

I started in Feb 2016 and gave up sometime during the summer (after long stretches of reading it off and on)

I've read enough to know that it is in fact meme trash

gave up around page 100 but i tell people ive read it and say it's my favorite book

bigger pleb