What are some books with good senses of humor? Dry, dark or sarcastic, I need a few smiles

What are some books with good senses of humor? Dry, dark or sarcastic, I need a few smiles.

Gravity's Rainbow

At Swim-Two-Birds

Anything by Evelyn Waugh, P G Wodehouse, Saul Bellow or Graham Greene.

Heller - Something Happened
Sinclair Lewis - Babbitt
Saroyan - The Human Comedy
Algren - The Man with the Golden Arm

>Saul Bellow

I saw quite a few recommendations on here for this guy and picked up A Theft (it was the first of his I came across in my local bookshop). I have to say I was sorely disappointed with it. Have you read that? And, if so, is it representative of his works? It's been a couple years since I read A Theft and I just picked up Humboldt's Gift because I want to give him another chance considering I've really only seen positive reviews of him. If I didn't like A Theft, am I just setting myself up for another disappointment?

Lucky Jim.

Kingsly Amis gets schlept on here desu.

Red Rising series by Pierce Brown.

This
Is not really dark, but is cheeky enough to make you chuckle from time to time and there are some scenes where Ignatius autism is fucking hilarious.

Yes.

Everything I've read by Nabokov so far had me chuckling at times. I don't think the man can write something entirely unfunny.

This gets posted here a lot, but I gotta say, it lives up to the hype. Probably the funniest book I've ever read

absolutely anything by Wodehouse. The Lord Emsworth stories at Blandings Castle are particularly good

Cats cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

Beckett

I hate that cover tho, It makes Ignaitus look like an adventurous child with a Choco as his best friend.

Catch 22 is the only book that I physically struggled to read due to laughter.

Slaughterhouse V has some good dark humour in it.

bukowski, celine, hamsun (hunger) and hasek are all kinda funny desu

A Theft is very minor, third-rate Bellow. Humboldt's Gift I remember being good although I hardly remember it. His best is Herzog

Tristram Shandy, truly in a class of its own.

I love that one chapter that is deliberately written to be difficult for the reader to focus while reading it.

Céline might be what you're looking for, as he is very sarcastic and has great metaphors. Journey is funny, but very sad after his arrival in America. Death on the Installment Plan made me laugh out loud, and is definitely worth taking a look at.
>it's a vomiting on the ferry episode
>it's a Céline fucks Madame Gorloge episode
>it's a Céline REEEEES and almost strangles his father episode

The Adventures of Augie March is my favorite book

J R by Gaddis is hilarious

I wouldn't say anything by Evelyn Waugh. I read Decline and Fall a while back, and while it's definitely funny, you have to go into it with a very pre-WWII British sense of humor, like "oh dear, would you look at how that uppity fellow is holding his vichyssoise decanter, how absurd"

True. On the other hand, his later work is a bit more modern in humour. The Loved One: An Anglo-American Tragedy (1948) is freaking hilarious.

Teratologen - Äldreomsorgen i Övre Kågedalen (Assisted Living)
Super dark and grotesque, some parts actually made me laugh out loud. Then some other parts made me super sad.
It basically tells the story of a nazi-philosofer-gay-pedo-murderer and his grand child and their tour of atrocities a in rural Sweden.

I have no idea how the translation reads though since the original text is written i dialect and parts are almost unreadable.

Overall pretty amazing

nonsense novels by stephen leacock