What's the Veeky Forums consensus on Veeky Forums?

What's the Veeky Forums consensus on Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=870532&page=7
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They're a lot worse at discussing philosophy and the humanities in general than Veeky Forums is and Veeky Forums is pretty bad. Should have just left it a history board but gook moot had to listen to the hordes of suggestions from dumb faggots who never picked up a book in their lives.

>listening to suggestions
More likely a diceroll since Veeky Forums and /d/ have been dead for years.

Is like the actual non-schizo politics board
Still shit, like everything tbqh, check it from time to time
You are better of playing age of empires

>They're a lot worse at discussing philosophy and the humanities in general than Veeky Forums is and Veeky Forums is pretty bad.
this, they lack elitism

They do really, but Veeky Forums isn't very elitist in terms of literature outside of prose afaik.

We could use a philosophy board, so we don't have to deal with this.

Philosophy was good here and it still is. I ignore Veeky Forums all together, that whole board is /armchair general/.

It's an outpost of r/history

That's what every user has said for forever. It's getting rather ridiculous at his point.

Philosophy discussions are leaking into every board from here to /x/ to Veeky Forums to Veeky Forums to fucking /b/.

>literature outside of prose

implying literature can exist without prose

Is that Sam Hyde the monster

The problem is virtually any thought can be categorized as sophistry, so the essential conundrum is that Veeky Forums is becoming more thoughtful. This is a problem, somehow.

at first i thought Veeky Forums would be good place to keep the /pol/ and commie fags off Veeky Forums but it didn't really work so whatever

i've honestly had better historical discussions on /tv/ for fucks sake

It's basically the same as here, a lot of shitposting, memes, and pretending to understand complex things, with the occasional actually informed post thrown in for good measure.

Armchair General is a solid mag, I used to get it when I was a kid.

Many of the last couple philosophy threads on Veeky Forums have been pretty solid (minus the Nietzche ones)

Veeky Forums is shit and there was zero need for it, as it's all pertinent to Veeky Forums.

Shit

>Philosophy was good here and it still is. I ignore Veeky Forums all together,
That is why your threads always get deleted.
I'm behind that.

Keeping it on Veeky Forums would have required all the armchair historians to actually read sources to talk about anything, having their own board allows them to talk out of their assholes and be /pol/ lite.

Veeky Forums is to Veeky Forums
/tv/ is to /mu/

It means it's shit
Infinitely meme-y shit
Also a really shitty Reddit-like pretentiousness

Veeky Forums is an overall welcome addition to Veeky Forums. I like having two boards where funposting/shitposting about squishy cultural things is possible.

The single worst attritube of Veeky Forums is its anti-protestantism, which is grounded in the wholly false conceit that "because Catholicism/Orthodoxy/Judaism/etc have been around for a long time, they are 'true'." The point is not to defend protestantism, but to correctly denounce comfily comfortable cultural Catholics as the unthinking cucks of history, relying on the historicism of their cults in lieu of Truth. And this because there is not even any such thing as a religion, becuase the word religion in the English language carries deep connotations of truth and goodness. In fact, there have merely only ever been cults that stuck. Christianity, particularly its older strains, is one such accidental cult. This is the correct historical analysis of the phenomena, and Veeky Forums-pol types forget this thing that many of them actually knew as teenagers at their own peril - the peril of comfily clothing themselves in historically comfy Falsity, becuase it is Easy, because it is Expedient, because it is Socially Acceptable, and does not involve being taken for a disgusting Fedora, who for all of these negative appellations, is above all In The Truth, whereas the Christian is not now, has never been, and can never possibly be.

When has /pol/ ever been socially acceptable, in the history of Veeky Forums?

I check Veeky Forums once in a blue moon for nonfiction recommendations

It's almost like any topic can be discussed philosophically

when have needless trips ever been acceptable?

this was poorly expressed and a rant; you didn't argue, you just made a a series of assertions which become progressively more caustic as the post goes on (and on)

bonus points for thinking your self-awareness about being a fedora enables you to transcend the label. (you're exactly what people mock)

since clippy

Christ is Risen, you fucking faggot.

My main worry about Veeky Forums is that it's one step closer to /rel/. And my REAL worry is that we're about to reach the point where /rel/ is inevitable. Compared to even three years ago, religious discussion on Veeky Forums has exploded. A lot of that is driven by /pol/, but not all of it.

too many godcucks

yes, please, bring your sexual hang-ups into the conversation too

Commie shit hole

Philosophy ruined Veeky Forums, and the mods here are too pussy to enforce the rules against discussing it here for some weird reason.

Fascist dump-pile.

Read the sticky, philosophy has always been allowed on Veeky Forums.

projecting

???
you just called someone a cuckold--do you think that's normal?

no that's literally what they are

Too political for me. There can be some interesting topics. I am just thankful they took away the flags in the first day

jesus christ, you saved a pic of one incident which fits with your insecurity-fueled narrative and you think it's somehow representative of christians?
no projection needed, you're all hung up

>/d/
>Dead for year

Seriously what? Do ever go there (i hope not, but still..)

is this autism? i honestly can't tell at this point

Unexpectedly, Veeky Forums hurt Veeky Forums. A lot of the people on Veeky Forums were primarily interested in philosophy, history, etc. and had fiction/literature as secondary interests. They were good posters, but they migrated to Veeky Forums which worsened the quality of discussion on this board. They were an even smaller minority on Veeky Forums, where they've been all but drowned out by /pol/ and people who played age of empires.

I don't know, but whatever it is, you should consult a professional.

>that whole board is /armchair general/
You aren't kidding, holy shit some of the crap those people come out with.

lol sickburn my man sick burn but imma fraid we're gonna have to say it's not an argument

This is because "good" Catholics can't use condoms, abort, or get divorced.

i hope those american catholics. everyone else knows you raise the bastard if you don't know barren women and don't fuck your whore wife to steward all their souls towards hell as the temporary tolerable anomalies we all are.
there's no such thing as a good Catholic.

Hence the quotes you dumb motherfucker.

Nah, I'm not gonna post about philosophy there, with their obvious "cult of the ancient".

And honestly the "tenchicization of history" that probably goes on there is enough to keep me forever out.

I'm not the guy who found the pic, but I had to know what happened. Apparently he's raising a baby that's black (he's white, so they have to tell everyone it's not his) that obvious happened inside the marriage from infidelity. The post is actually painful to read, I actually feel sorry for the guy.

I really think this is an example of religion needlessly making your life miserable. I am actually religious, but at some point you need to draw the line. Who is he helping by doing this? Why does his wife need his trust and the bond of marriage to him? I understand Christ's marriage of forgiveness, but this isn't, and often times things like self-sacrifice serve a greater time, and seomtimes people make even greater ones (like in war, with their life) but the idea is that there's a greater end. I don't see it here. I think this guy is tormenting himself in literally every single way possible. I almost wish I could sit down with him 2 years ago. I've never been cheated on but I've had to leave relationships with women I've deeply loved for other reasons and it was tough, I can't imagine being married, but there's a point where you can't make things work out.

Sorry for the rant, outside the cuck-calling, like if you really analyze it, I just cannot fathom any of this man's reasoning. I can't imagine the amount of strength necessary for that marriage and for what a shallow end. You could rectify all of this by leaving the mistakes behind and finding someone you can love and trust. If he had divorced and got counseling and found a new wife (which also takes strength) this would all be like a bad dream in the past.

Yeah, I really actually feel sorry for this guy. I'm Catholic and I am just completely blown away by how miserable he sounds and so willful to not actually rectify the situation.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=870532&page=7

>I think this guy is tormenting himself in literally every single way possible.
I don't think that's fair on the child either.

Most catholics would agree with you, but most catholics do not try to out catholic each other on a web forum where they bless each other for following something or other more closely than others.

They should have just split and she could have raised the baby on her own desu. He could have moved on.

>Who is he helping by doing this?

yeah, either theism is a scam whose goal is to get you to breed and raise lots of good subjects for the ruler to work and tax and send into battle, or an ancient hebrew wargod really did exile mankind from paradise and later sent his son (who is also himself) to be slaughtered in a blood magic sacrifice that would undo his curse on you because of the actions of your ancestors (and later sent a magic book down from heaven to a warlord to help him conquer people and later fly to heaven on the back of a winged talking donkey, if you're into islam) unless of course you don't follow the wargod's commands in which case you will suffer for eternity but alternatively if you are a good boy he will let you telepathically communicate with him because he loves you

You're being very judgey. Just so you know

Catholic here. I know a lot of people who stay married, even living separately, who will go to mass often enough to get the kids baptised and confirmed. But I live in an area where Catholicism is the majority with a bonus side of Polish.

I don't know if it would matter if the kid was black, but I think most would opt to stay married and separate.

The only divorces I know of they only applied to end their first marriage when one of them met someone new and wanted to get married again. Cheating, spending all your money, beating on someone are all seen as an obvious part of the better or worse clause and separating is as close to the idea of divorce most Catholics get.

The praying together thing sounds strange too, though probably because I know a lot of half practicing non-believers. [People who go to mass because it's good for their children but who are personally now atheists; people who won't eat meat on certain days even though they don't attend mass; people who don't go to mass because they're unrepentant degenerates and respect the Church doesn't want them there; people who pray to St Anthony for lost things and seem to think he's some kind of witch/demigod; people who get their kid baptised to get into a Catholic school.] Marriage is forever and for the children is kind of one of the stronger memes, which is why a lot of people won't get married and most of them keep the kid even if the dad vanishes.

Guilty as charged.

This isn't really the problem. A lot of them just have very little knowledge about anything.

board culture is rarely the problem with boards, it's the userbase (which of course makes up the culture, but again they're the primary source of the problem)

it is the time-concerned version of lit.

lit deals with timeless issues, his deals with the same issues in its historical concrete manifestations.

besides shitposting of course.

we should just have a history thread because it's more comfy than Veeky Forumspol/ meems. the catholics are nice too.

youtube doc spamming incoming tho
The Adventure of English with Melvyn Bragg
ep1 Birth of a Language (Heaney on Beowolf)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihoYL-dUK1g

ep2 English goes Underground (effects of the French Norman invasion)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxf0ANntz64

ep3 Battle for the Language of the Bible
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP7ZErdNTZY

ep4 This Earth This Realm This England (Shakespeare)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsdiLyPUXps

ep5 English in America (Webster's)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeBcHkbf_oI

ep6 Speaking Proper (elocution and the pricks who want it)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb_UdA2NO_E

ep7 Language of Empire (English as spoken in the colonies)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=s56lkK6q7p4

ep8 Many Tongues called English, One World Language (future of English as a common language)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vhpiy2C_ck

also check out the In Our Time radio programme if you've never heard of Bragg

As if you retards don't speak out of yer asses

BBC series on the Romantics

Liberty
www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLwRXlSgiSQ

Nature
www.youtube.com/watch?v=liVQ21KZfOI

Eternity
www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6mefXs5h9o

It can happen, but there are actual discussions with reference to actual texts every so often.

I saw a thread on Veeky Forums once about the late 90s Asian financial crisis that claimed Japan was the only country affected and confused Thailand and Taiwan several times. Like it's embarrassingly bad the level of discussion there.

philfags are second only do /pol/ and /r9k/ posters in terms of deleterious influence on Veeky Forums quality

i want philposters to LEAVE

creating Veeky Forums with &humanities was a mistake. Why split this board up?