Is this book basically the even memer reddit version of Snow Crash...

Is this book basically the even memer reddit version of Snow Crash? I've been seeing it mentioned as good Sci-fi (or cyberpunk) by someone, saw it on Veeky Forums being mentioned as trash, and then out of curiosity seeing it mentioned as being good again checking the wikipedia and randomly placing my eyes on different parts of the plot (saw XP, leveling up MMORPG, etc).

Is this as reddity and meme as it sounds? Does it read like a cross between snow crash and /r/writingprompts?

More like the 9gag of poorly written, non-researched trash.

Don't read.

I have a morbid curiosity to see what utter shit is really like, though. I forgot to mention that in my initial post.

Sounds like a trainwreck.

It's as meme as it gets

1) Main character randomly points out that Atheism is objectively correct and then never touches on the subject again? Check.

2) Main character gets ripped from hardcore playing video games? Check.

3) Constantly flaunts its status as "Harry Potter for adults" CHECK

Underground alternative never to be made into a feature film by Steven Spielberger....

It reads like that friendless asshole kid in elementary school who told you his uncle worked at Nintendo is now telling you about his super awesome adventures as the hero of a babby dystopia that for some reason (and that reason is definitely not just marketing half-assed cyberpunk plots to nerd chic stooges and nostalgia-blind losers) revolves around pop culture trivia from the 80s/90s.

Also it was very rubenesque.

>Also it was very rubenesque

it depicts a lot of fat chicks? that term is usually applied to the visual arts

The word comes up three or four times in the book to describe the love interest, and it feels lazy.

Will cyberpunk ever recover?

What is the point of picking on geek fiction? Maybe this would've flown as cool net banter fifteen years ago, but today it's like curb stomping the kids in the special class. Grow some testicles and read a book instead of ralphing these same baby criticisms about reddit and YA fiction every week.

I'm currently reading Snow Crash.
I read Ready Player One last year and Daemon before that.
I'm a total sucker for this genre.

> I keep telling people, it's like the Da Vinci code for geeks

ayy

>I wish someone had just told me the truth right up front, as soon as I was old enough to understand it. I wish someone had just said: “Here’s the deal, Wade. You’re something called a ‘human being.’ That’s a really smart kind of animal. Like every other animal on this planet, we’re descended from a single-celled organism that lived millions of years ago. This happened by a process called evolution, and you’ll learn more about it But trust me, that’s really how we all got here. There’s proof of it everywhere, buried in the rocks. That story you heard? About how we were all created by a super-powerful dude named God who lives up in the sky? Total bullshit. The whole God thing is actually an ancient fairy tale that people have been telling one another for thousands of years. We made it all up. Like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. “Oh, and by the way … there’s no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny. Also bullshit. Sorry, kid Deal with it.”
>― Ernest Cline, Ready Player One

>look at this dumb book. i bet reddit loves it, but we're above this. right guys? upvote if u agree.

Fuck is that even a real quotation? I really need to get me a copy of it

Is there a single more /redditcore/ piece of media than RPO?

I unironically enjoyed this book. I didn't think it was a masterpiece. But I liked it.

Who cares.

Are there actually any good cyberpunk books though?

I liked neuromancer. Interestingly written. It paints a cool picture of the word at the very least. Although it started to lose me at the end as it started to have more tunnel vision, if that makes any sense.

infinite jest

No, there are none.

considering Snow Crash is trash itself, RPO is just as good. It will not make you think deeply, it wont make you any smarter or more "enlightened" but it can be a fun read. It took me about a day or two to read it and it entertained me but thats about it. Dont get your hopes up too high for what kind of book it is, its a beach read at its best, but it does a good job at that.

Thats the opening paragraph of Ulysses, you turbopleb.

My best friend in Primary School told me his uncle worked at Nintendo, no joke...

Altered Carbon
Neuromancer
Snow Crash if you want to go full edgelord

If you consider the internet media, then I would say reddit.com is pretty reddit

>mfw thats an actual quote

Holy... I want more.

>protag and online best friend go on quest
>get btfo in-game
>decide to meet up irl
>friend's avatar is a white guy
>surprise! friend is a fat black lesbian
>protag immediately forgives her despite lying to him for years

top reddit

A nostalgia book that does nothing but jerk off to 80s stuff all the way, written in a very basic uninteresting style, story develops fast as fuck, clearly being written either for kids or to be adapted into a movie. The whole argument and plot is very simple and at the end the good guy beats the bad guys and everybody lives happily ever after

Mirrorshades and Dreams of Amputation