How do sound waves really propagate through a medium...

How do sound waves really propagate through a medium? I was thinking about this earlier and I was wondering if anyone had any insight.

Are they n dimensional fields moving at incredibly slow speeds or the normal air wave thing we learn about?

Can waves wave on waves?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanism_of_sonoluminescence#Light_emission
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

yes waves can wave on waves, that's where all the quantum shit comes from.

but it's important to know that the underlying force is always an electromagnetic one; a wave is a wave.

the frequency, wavelenght and amplitude is what gives it it's different properties though.

e.g. lower frequencies express themselves as kinetic phenomena to our senses, higher frequencies as luminescent and even higher ones as energetic.

>Can waves wave on waves
Fourier Transforms say yes

sound waves propagate by transferring kinetic energy between air molecules. the energy is terms of sound pressure. as it moves, it pushes the molecules into other ones as described by the wave function until it finally reaches our ears, or wherever.

What would happen if you were hypothetically able to compact a very high or very low frequency in an enclosed space?

this was meant for you

The waves will keep changing and in some point that randomness would create literal matter.

Is it possible that a universe or a supposed pocket universe could hypothetically be created in such an enclosed space?

So everything is in essence a wave?

you should rephrase that question in more detail, I can't really answer it but I can tell you that it depends on a lot of other factors since waves do have relative angles to one another which also affects properties.

let's assume they are traveling perfectly parallel to each other and let's also assume the high frequency spikes repeat themselves in a clean integer fraction relative to the low frequency spikes, meaning that for every 100000 hi-frq spikes you have 1 low-frq spike, then they will amplify eachother.

I don't know if that is the answer you were looking for but I'm sure it's not

yes, electromagnetic waves to be precise but that's common knowledge isn't it?

does the make up of the gas inside that bubble affect the color of the light? Is the bubble burning?

that is actually fusion happening

I'm gonna have to take that back as it's not proved, nobody is perfect and I apologize.

better inform yourself here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanism_of_sonoluminescence#Light_emission

The waves in the surface compress to a little point and some of the waves are shifted to light?

the condensed waves would cause resonance at a molecular level, and generate heat. if only we could make something like this for heating food. we could call it a microwave or something

I'm more or less referring to compacting a large amount of energy or a high frequency into a shrinking chamber or simply crushing a large frequency/ large amount of energy in an isolated or enclosed space.

If we truly are a collection of waves, is it possible that being exposed to a certain wavelengths could have unpredictable effects on the body?

They act as a perturbation in the ether.

Nothing is a wave. Waving is what things do, not what things are.

If I wave hello to you, that's my hand waving.

If I see waves at the beach, that's the water waving.

Waves waving on waves is what AM and FM is. AM is amplitude modulation which is an encoding of a signal in the amplitude of a wave, whereas FM is encoding of the signal in the frequency of the wave.

>sound
>always electromagnetic

Sound really propagates through a medium just like any other type of compressional, shear, or longitudinal wave. The medium it propagates through can be thought of as a lattice of springs, disturbed by some impetus (the sound source) that causes some initial deformation of the springs. Since all the springs are connected, a deformation in one segment of the spring will cause the nearest portions of the matter to respond by deflecting as well. The rate at which this deflection propagates through the medium is primarily related to the material's stiffness (bulk modulus) and the mass of the material (density) on a per unit volume basis.

And yes, you can have waves on waves on waves. Radial modulation in medical ultrasound works because of some sweet, hot and heavy wave on wave action.

HIFU is regularly used to cook uterine fibriods.

Bubble cavitation superheats the vapor, so yes. The color is dependent on the temperature rise/fall and the material properties of the vapor.

It does and it is called cancer.

you are just plain wrong sorry, no matter is resting mass, every single particle is moving, more precise oscillating in a unique way, and this is what gives it it's properties.

yes, so is light, nuclear radiation, heat etc.