Why aren't you studying medicine? Literally no excuse, unless you're a brainlet that can't handle the workload

Why aren't you studying medicine? Literally no excuse, unless you're a brainlet that can't handle the workload.

Other urls found in this thread:

kittysjones.wordpress.com/2013/10/30/4494/
medicalschoolsuccess.com/how-a-doe-eyed-pre-med-student-changes-into-a-jaded-doctor/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

because i'm a brainlet who fell for the engineering meme.

Asperger's, so I lack bedside manner.

Don't know what advancements I would make in the field of medicine and I wouldn't want to be stuck working as a gp in a shitty depressing little town like the one I grew up in

Just re-enact a real life Dr. House.

probably because every single doctor i have ever known has recommended going into something else

I want to spend my time interacting with other smart people instead of dealing with brainlet patients and nurses all day every day for the rest of my career.

Give me a prescription for Vicodin and we've got a deal.

>I'm in pain

Good luck trying that shit in the UK, you'll be lucky for the NHS to give you Ibuprofen.

This

Enjoy losing your hair by 30 and having one of the least intellectually stimulating jobs available after all that schooling.

Also enjoy literally wasting years studying 90% stuff you will never use in med school.

If a plumber starts working right after high school his lifetime earnings will be higher than a doctor

Correction: I have the utmost respect for MD/PhDs tho

Because I like working with metal and someone's gotta weld the frames for your hospitals and universities.
>that, and I don't want to know about all the carcinogens I'm inhaling. It'd ruin what enjoyment I get out of my job.

Preach.

How much do you know about cold welding?

Im scared of needles, blades and blood.
I would really like pharmacy however, especially in the army in my country because they have really good advantages. That said my grades are a bit too low so I will probably study biomedical engineering.

Pussy

T-thanks
>tfw my doctor had to prescribe me xannys just to get a blood sample

no, only normies care about death, which leads them to deny it by ''saving'' people.
also, reminder that doctors are asseholes even in non-liberal societies, that doctors want to reanimate people (by claiming that it is for their own good, top lel), while doctors themselves do not want to be reanimated

doctors are exactly what is wrong with normies and their little fantasy of morality through compassion and claim of helping others by actually making their lives even more pathetic. Doctors are the pinnacle of normitude : they are hedonistic and have the means for this, while they feel good about themselves by believing they are good guys.

>Humanitarianism is bad.
>Muh nihilism.
Grow up:
>kittysjones.wordpress.com/2013/10/30/4494/

You are what you eat

nothing that 2 minutes with google won't tell you.

I was hoping for some expertise, but whatever.

I have an immense respect for doctors and nurses. But I'm not interested in that.

I'm a doctor and seriously, stay the fuck away from medicine.

They'll use you as a convenient slave to do scut work for like 10 years. You'll study more than you ever have in your life, more than is actually even needed to properly care for patients. Most of the studying is just so you can be 0.01% better than the rest of your peers and thus score that sweet radiology residency. Remember how back then you used to be the smart kid in your class? That shit is over. Everybody is just as good as or better than you now. You'll be constantly ass-raped by stupid memorization-heavy exams you have to pay to take. Med schools think you'll be making a killing, so they'll charge you fucktons of money and you'll be neck-deep in debt by the time they're done raping your wallet. Your options for paying that shit back will be severely reduced, and because of that the residency programs will essentially have you by the balls. You'll meet some of the worst, most thoroughly unhappy people you'll ever see in your entire life, and you better believe it they'll take out their chronic buttpain on you, the lowly medical student/resident. People will tell you to your face you'll work a set number of hours a week, and the next time you see them they're telling you to lie about the hours that you report back to the authorities so they can get away with fudging the work-hour limits. Eating, sleeping, going to the bathroom, imagine all the basic things human beings do... It all turns into a big fucking deal to the point of resembling kindergarten where you have to ask to go pee. You'll be constantly pimped by your superiors on random useless bullshit and made to look like a fucking retard in front of everyone and the patient. The list goes on and on.

Only after you put yourself through all this fucking bullshit, will you actually be in a position to make some good money, work the hours you want, however you want, in the specialization you like.

Is it worth it? I wouldn't do it over

The insides of people are icky

>working 80 hours a week with no life

Disease is a battle humanity will be fighting throughout their entire existence. Call me selfish, but I don't want to be remembered as another drop in the bucket.

>80 hours a week

That's what they say you'll legally work, based on their crappy evidence. You'll actually put in 100 hours every week, have barely any time off and will essentially be a slave a student and an indentured servant as a resident.

LOL thank fucking God I chose not to go into that.

I am considering becoming a physician assistant though, it pays well and it apparently has good flexibility plus only 40-45 hour work weeks.

Would going into the Film Industry be a better choice? You're working 16 sometimes 20 hour days there.

Sounds okay. Since you'll be dealing with physicians, be careful. You never know just how miserable that person is inside, and misery absolutely adores company.

Just don't work yourself into a position where your fate is decided by these sociopaths. Especially if you're American. Preserve the option to walk the fuck out on them at all times. Take as little responsibility as humanly possible. Read every contract and if you ever suspect your freedom is going to be taken away... Don't let them do it man.

Depends. Always evaluate all your endeavors by the following metric: money/time. Your work is an investment of time from your part and it's absolutely fine to want good monetary return from it.

I'm saying this because doctors don't actually make all that much money if you take into account the sheer amount of time they put in. They look like they're making fucktons of money, but on closer inspection you see a bunch of miserable people who literally live in the hospital and whose life consists of sleep, patients, sleep, patients... And that's a pretty ideal schedule since most of the time they barely get any sleep. What the fuck is that money good for? They don't even have a goddamn life.

Research well the film industry and see that you don't find yourself in the same hole.

medicalschoolsuccess.com/how-a-doe-eyed-pre-med-student-changes-into-a-jaded-doctor/

>Sounds okay. Since you'll be dealing with physicians, be careful. You never know just how miserable that person is inside, and misery absolutely adores company.

Why are a lot of doctors assholes? I'm curious from someone like you who works with them.

Yeah it's either PA school or Film for me.

I'd love to go into Film, but Film has insane work hours 14-16 hour days, sometimes 20 and you have to climb the ladder and there's no guarantee of a reward for your hard work. I wouldn't mind the long hours so long as I had a semi-high level position making decent money, it's just working up the ladder and having to deal with those insane hours with no guarantee that I'll end up in a high level position that bugs me.

If being a doctor is so stressful and hard how come so many people every year apply to med school?

I mean I am happy that there are doctors but what absolute madmen they are to get into that profession. They must have superhuman willpower and endurance.

so you're saying its not like Scrubs the tv show? i want to go into medicine because of that show

>Why are a lot of doctors assholes?

They don't start that way. Before med school, you'll meet many starry-eyed idealists who literally want to go out there and help the shit out of people to the best of their ability.

Med school and residency are both going to beat all empathy out of them. So you'd like to help people? You're going to go through hell first... Teaching hospitals take advantage of you under the guise of learning. You'll work ridiculous shifts under the guise of "practicing". Your professors give approximately zero shits about you; they're there to care for their own patients and you're there to be their personal slave. Why pay for a nurse when they can make YOU do the work? Not only are they saving money, but you're paying for the privilege. Professors do this so they can pocket that sweet academic medicine bonus; more often than not they such at teaching, won't explain shit and will publicly scold you for not knowing something. They think you're dumb because you don't have 30 years of practice repeating the same bullshit that they do over and over. It's mind-boggling

Imagine 3 years of stuffing factoids into your brain like a bulimic girl stuffs food into her face, and then vomiting it all out on the exams. Then 3 years of the bullshit I described above, and then more if you decide to pursue a residency.

It's a sociopath factory m8

Money. Status. Power over others. Peer pressure. Family pressure. Idealism.

Medicine has a reputation for guaranteed employment anywhere in the world as well as high pay. That is why you see so many applicants.

Think about it. If they knew they were going to be paid $50k/year... How many med students would apply? How many would stay

No, it's like Grey's Anatomy, of all things.

Watch it and look at all those fucking overworked, miserable, drama queen surgery residents who talk about hookups in front of patients. I've literally seen that happen right in front of my eyes.

>Med school and residency are both going to beat all empathy out of them.

Is this unavoidable? Why has no one done anything to solve this? Health is the most important thing in the world so wouldn't you make sure that doctors perform as good as possible?

Said the guy who made two threads per day about how shitty medicine is

The American medical association sets these standards on purpose to decrease the number of physicians so they can keep getting paid big bucks. Also they're misanthropes who want everyone to suffer.

>Is this unavoidable?

Let me know if you find the answer...

>Why has no one done anything to solve this?

Students have literally zero bargaining power. With so many people trying to get in, these faggots hop on the high horse and tell you to fuck off if you have a problem.

Residents have more power since they're already full-fledged doctors. However, it depends on them not being intimidated by their bosses who will undoubtedly blackball them forever if they try anything.

As a doctor, you'll take a lot of people to court, and will be taken to court as well. It's a fact of life.

>Health is the most important thing in the world so wouldn't you make sure that doctors perform as good as possible?

Not if you're a doctor. Doctors and healthcare industry treat each other as if they were above the vast amount of medical literature pointing to the fact that a healthy lifestyle with work-life balance is the way to go.

They do this because they don't want to spend the money to hire more doctors and/or staff in general. They also don't want to let more people become doctors in order to preserve the image of a highly paid profession and keep monetizing the fuck out of medical education. They'd rather you work your ass off as if you were two people.

You're going to see some med students and residents put on a lot of weight during their school days. A fraction of those will end up obese.

Since you're a doctor, I was actually curious what you think about politics and politicians making decisions on the healthcare industry, and how you and others in the medical field feel about it? I.e. Obamacare, the new healthcare act Trump tried to pass but failed miserably, etc;

It seems to me that it might piss you guys off that politicians in fancy suits with little no understanding of what goes on in medicine are making major decisions that affect it.

I left America to work in another country so I'm not exactly affected by those politics.

But you should expect erosion of the private medical practice. Your life as a doctor sorts itself out one you setup your own practice and start working by yourself. It's the way its meant to be. The road is long but we used to be able to get there.

These politicians don't like that. They'd rather make you work for them instead, back into the hellish hospitals with horrible hours. They will put measures into place to make you make the switch.

IIRC they adopted a reimbursement model where they eroded your pay by throwing as much bullshit bureaucracy at you as humanly possible before they'd allow you the privilege of being paid. So you'd do your medical work to its full extent, only to have your payment held until someone reimbursed you after the fact, but not before making your life as hellish as possible to get it.

They'll probably raise taxes too, lowering income by doctors involved in a private practice. I knew many who closed and went to work for the hospital. They're miserable

Those politicians know exactly what they're doing. I usually assume stupidity instead of malice, but not with politicians. They know the consequences of the shit they're pushing, don't be fooled

So it's not good to work in a hospital? Got it.

I thought it would be fun to work in a hospital, fast paced, challenging and having to utilize problem solving skills, a lot of the time on the spot.

>losing your hair by 30
in europe, we start med school 18-20, straight outta high school and quarter of second years are balding, by 4th year at least 50% of guys are completely bald

>studying something that is mostly memorisation

Seven in the morning was rolling close, so I make my way down to the OR. I scrubbed in and waited for everyone else to get there. The residents made their way into the room, and finally the attending that I’d be working with the entire month made his presence.

“Who are you?” he asked. “I’m the junior medical student working with you sir. My name is…”

“I don’t care what your name is, boy. In this OR and on this service, your name is boy.”

The surgery just so happened to be a combo pancreas / bilateral kidney transplant. Not only was the vascular attending helping out, but I soon got the pleasure to meet his alter ego – the transplant surgery attending. Holy shit, it was a long case. I think it was around 8 hours, but I’m not sure. I didn’t get to leave the whole time though, and let me tell you it was definitely an introduction to probably the worse month of my life.

I had never held a retractor before, but I got to learn. Of course, I couldn’t do it right. Instead of telling me how to correctly hold the retractor, the vascular surgery attending felt the need to slap my hands whenever I was holding it incorrectly. It wasn’t so much the slap on the hands that bothered me, but this would cause blood to fly around unnecessarily.

He thought it was cool though. He was the big man. It was big of him to call me “boy” for the entire month. He liked ordering me around. The sad part is that I don’t have a problem with authority at all – I just like to be treated with a little bit of respect. However, “respect” is not a part of this guy’s vocabulary.

No matter if we were in in the OR or on rounds, my name was “boy.” In fact, he only called me by my name once during the entire rotation. I know because I kept track of it. It was the longest, shittiest month of my life. I hated every last minute whenever I was there. All day I would watch the clock but that didn’t really do any good because we never knew what time we’d get out of there. In at 5:00 am or so and out at 7:00 pm was somewhat standard, but not a guarantee.

The OR with him was a battlefield. If something didn’t go his way, he’d throw scapels and shit. He wouldn’t throw them at anybody, but he would still throw them and that’s bad enough. If the OR tech handed him the wrong instrument, he would “accidentally” drop it on the floor so that they would have to get him a sterile one. Everybody hated this guy, and I was beginning to develop my own hatred for him as well.

It got to the point that I seriously hated this guy. I hated the way he looked, the way he talked, the way he walked, the jeans that he wore on weekend rounds, the way he would always slick back his hair, everything. He wore his cell phone on his belt on the weekends while rounding and I hate it when people do that to this day. It seriously looks gay, so please don’t do it.

By two weeks into the rotation, I wanted to kick the shit out of him. Whenever he called me a name in the OR, I would dream about grabbing the back of his head and slamming it down into the field. Whenever he’d throw a scapel, I wanted to pick something up and sling it at him as hard as I could.

I really fucked that guy on his evaluation. He knew it was me from the first sentence. It was probably the best evaluation-raping that I have ever given to an attending physician.

Six months later he left the medical school to practice in a different location. I seriously hope my evaluation had something to do with fucking his career.

Damn. Grey's Anatomy doctors are the most overworked doctors in any tv show. Hell, Dr. House worked less than them.

Because you need a 3.9 GPA to even think about applying to med school in Canada and I already fucked up my first couple of years. They don't look too kindly upon repeated courses either so I'm basically never going to get in here.

I told you the last time you made this thread

SAGE
A
G
E

Brainlet

I have no desire to help people.

>This happens to me, so it will happen to everyone

Neither does Dr. House. Just be a Dr. House.

Why arent you a lumberjack? Are you a brainlet that cannot hold the workload?

to busy getting my womens studies Ph.D

No interest in it. And it's the most expensive field to study in uni, about 5000$ per semester for 5 years. (CS is 900$ per, for 3)

I didn't enjoy biology

When I was a first and second year medical student, we had to attend a crappy “clinical medicine” course. Ninety percent of the time, there was nothing about “clinical medicine” to be found anywhere. Instead, we would sit around in a big circle with a group of 10 or so of my classmates and talk about pure shit.

Basically, here’s how it would work: Some goody-goody type question would be posed to the group. The question would usually be of the variety where you would’ve sworn that a liberal tree-hugger just died and went to heaven. Something like “how would that make you feel?” Or, better yet, “what scares you most about doing your first pelvic exam?” Holy shit, I didn’t know if I was going to get out alive.

Then we’d play musical chairs going around the room while everyone gave their two cents worth. After a week or two of this shit you could always predict which person would speak up first. Typically this was the student or two that was interested in family medicine, since the department usually organized this course at my school. Always gotta make a good impression, ya know.

Of course, I would always give some crap answer to just get by. At the end of first-year, we got our feedback about how we “performed” in our “clinical medicine” course. My feedback was something along the lines of “needs to participate more” and “didn’t show interest in participating in group discussions.”

Oh really? No shit. Of course I “didn’t show interest.” I wasn’t interested. Remember, I don’t sell out. Didn’t then, and still don’t now. They could take their Dr. Feelgood shit somewhere else for all I care. What sucks about this course, and particularly the third and fourth year of medical school, is the subjectivity. This, in fact, was my first taste of subjective-based evaluations that would come to haunt me for years to come.

Subjective grading is rampant during your clinical years of medical school. There isn’t really anything wrong with subjective grading per se, and it is a good model for evaluation if used properly. For example, most all jobs use subjective-based evaluations in some form or another. However I’ve found, based on my experiences, that jobs which utilize subjective evaluations do so on a more level playing field.

When non-medical work-based evaluations are given it is typically the same person that evaluates you each time. This provides a benchmark of thought on how well you are progressing. The turnover is very small and you could typically have the same person evaluating you for years to come. This is simply not true in medical training. For some reason what works for every under industry under the sun doesn’t apply to medicine.

I’ve had different attendings and residents for each of my rotations. I’ve even had new attendings and residents that come on board in the middle of a rotation. In fact, this is very common. Each has their own view of what is “good” and what is “bad.” Very frequently, what is “bad” to one attending might be “good” to another. How hard would it be to coordinate student rotation schedules with resident schedules? Damn near impossible I would guess based on your stellar performance thus far.

How the fuck are you supposed to know what each new resident and/or attending wants? Well, that’s a really good question and one that I don’t have a good answer for. Just when you think you’ve got Dr. Joeblow attending figured out, some other tool comes in to take his place. Same thing with residents.

The best method I’ve found to deal with this problem is to not try and figure out what makes these guys tick. They each want something different, so I decided to offer them something different. Instead of brown nosing from me, they got just enough so that I would pass – ass-kissing not included. This will lift a lot of weight from your shoulders

Thats because any monkey could prescribe medicine or treatment based on symptoms.

So, bed side manner is the utmost important to learn subjectively and in a group, as a textbook can't teach it.

>as a textbook can't teach it.

Sure it can
Family medicine books are FULL of that shit

I was gonna be a doctor but i didn't have the social skills or the patience.