I was thinking about how a lot of fish are high in vitamin D, probably because they swim close to the surface

I was thinking about how a lot of fish are high in vitamin D, probably because they swim close to the surface.

Which made me wonder, do people actually eat deep sea fish? What is the deepest depth that people generally fish at? Is most fishing just done at the surface level?

Other urls found in this thread:

mobile.twitter.com/rfedortsov
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Most so-called "deep sea fish" would be impractical to eat. The population density of fish in the deep ocean is very very low, so you don't get much catch even with an enormous net. Furthermore when those deep-sea fish are brought to the surface they tend to burst from the pressure change.

This one is pretty common to eat here. My grandfather's favorite was steamed uer heads served with butter.

Grouper and Snapper are commonly eaten, and people fish for them in hundreds of feet of water. Not much else beyond that though.

considering deep-sea animals have only recently (last 50 years) seriously been studied, i would say that nobody fucking eats those things.

Why not put the fish in a pressure chamber like they do with deep sea divers? Surely the premium you can sell them at will cover the added costs.

Why don't YOU do it then?

I live in Illinois.

Because how do you get them OUT of the pressure chamber without them violently exploding?

Slowly decompressing them over the course of a day or two?

Same as with a human diver, you release the pressure slowly.

anyway, to answer 's question, that process would be mad expensive. like crazy crazy expensive.

well, if you had an eccentric rich person paying for it, sure, but who in their right mind would put all that money up front, just to see the things never get off shelves? Its not exactly easy to market deep-sea critters, have you seen them? its just not financially viable

That works....FOR THINGS THAT ARE USED TO SEA LEVEL BAROMETRIC PRESSURE

Market it as an exotic luxury item for newly wealthy Chinese buyers.

I've always postulated that exotic foods must be rich in certain minerals or nutrients that are otherwise difficult to come across. For the purposes of longevity and well-being, it would be in one's best interest to consume as much of these exotic foods. Deep sea fish, miscellaneous but unorthodox animal organs, deep sea plants, etc...

Even just varying it up with foods like octopus, squid, shark, eel, or even elephant, tiger, rhino, cougar, etc..

Macronutrients aside, I like to think there is some deeper genetic link between us organisms that we can absorb from them.

its still a gimmick at best though, not sustainable. I 'll say it again, if someone wealthy and eccentric is asking for it, sure, I'd make it happen, but why bother filling in niches nobody ever asked for on the off chance it pays out... too much risk for my hide, and seeing as nobody did it by now, too much risk for people way more into this stuff than me

but you can't "depressure" them, their body aren't made for it so not exploding doesn't mean they survive.
Also those fishes body are made out of bones and high density protein and shit, there's nothing edible in them.

1. Pressurized water can be a serious hazard in the long term. Consider your boiler/hot water heater.

2. You'd be looking at a steel tank all day. The biggest aquariums will have specially designed glass enclosures to keep certain deep sea species, but these are both enormous and expensive and unable to keep most of the species in question in permanent captivity.

3. No possible way to control the environment since you would need a depressurization chamber just to access it. Any shitty thing that happens, algae overgrowth bacteria mites - you can't control for.

4. Many of these species travel across hundreds of meters in depth and experience great gradients in oceanic pressure. Both are completely impossible to replicate in a human environment.

5. We know fuck all of rearing most of these in captivity. The deep oceans are still one of our biggest mysteries. The nutrients they require, what events need to happen for them to breed, the life cycle they go through - all pretty big unknowns. Marine biology a expensive.

There's a whole type of fishing called ground fishing where we eat fish from the bottom. Halibut, flounder, cod, haddock, pollock, dogfish... all routinely caught in 100-400 feet of water

Thats not really how genetics works. Outside of rare mutations, the stuff thats gonna get passed down genetically from one person to their kids is pretty set in stone.

There's a Russian deep-sea trawler who posts pics of bycatch on Twitter. Most of it just doesn't look marketable and I don't know who'd want to be the first to try.

mobile.twitter.com/rfedortsov

A true entrepreneur creates a market where there was none before.
They don't have to survive. They just have to live long enough to be flash frozen on the boat without exploding.
I'm talking about fishing for them and then putting them in a pressure tank to acclimate them to the surface pressure.

>A true entrepreneur creates a market where there was none before.
a real entrepreneur surveys the market first, consideres the risks second, does a couple of smaller steps inbetween and only then starts spending money bigtime. getting the fish out is the very last step, esp. if you want them fresh.
now, as I already pointed out, there are way more ballsy gyus out there. why hasn't this niche been filled yet? or rather, why don't you step up? fill my niche, fill it with all the deep sea critters you can fit in it, honey.

This is a nice change from the mcchicken and mac n cheese threads. Good job OP!

So you are saying we need more McChicken-and-cheese threads?

Man, you said it! Gawd those things look fucking retarded.

How could you misunderstand so badly? It's almost like you're doing it on purpose

They're not very big. Kinda hard to live on fish this size

Those things are pretty cute desu

imagine slowly pressurizing a human

imagine quickly depressurizing a human

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin

Google the images of the bodies, if you can even call them that.

idk how to say this but the internal pressure of the fish isnt some magical spring. once you regulate the pressure there will be no mechanical change on the surface, because there is no pressure differential

>this is a deep sea fish, thus its internal pressure is infinitely x

Ew wtf

y u do des