Is Nick Land trying to be a supervillain or something?

Is Nick Land trying to be a supervillain or something?

What's with his "sacrifice humanity on the altar of acceleration"? What makes him think disembodied intelligence is any good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_9g2r0SdEZc
youtube.com/watch?v=8byZUj0vmwE,
wsj.com/articles/germanys-welfare-bill-rises-169-as-refugee-numbers-grow-1473077920
twitter.com/AnonBabble

NIG

NIG

NIGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRREERERERERERERERERERERERERERERR

RAAAAA

RAAAAA
RA
RA

save me

Is this like a wapanase Nigeru Farage?

Nigel Farage is kind of like nigger fag now I come to think of it.

He thinks the singularity is, by some measure, a good thing, and humanity should be left behind

Why would a human think that?

This dude's talking about the Japanese being better than us for not allowing mass immigration as they wanna keep intact as a people... Yet he wants to give up the whole species?

The Japanese basically are giving up on their survival

Because genes are obsolete. Memes are the new genes. An AI is far more effective at creating and spreading memetic information than a hothead fleshmind.

25,000 years from now flesh will all be dead and different AI programs will be making 40 trillion joyce fart fetish copypastas per second.

>An AI is far more effective at creating and spreading memetic information than a hothead fleshmind.

Nice autism.
How the fuck are online cartoons pictures the future?

And you're talking computational ability, which is worthless without the human component.
You might as well call AI an aimless virus then.

>What's with his "sacrifice humanity on the altar of acceleration"?

The truth is, people always presume humanity to exist for the purpose of some service, whether to god or eachother, or to the self. Some argue that the goal of our creation is simply the perpetuation of our existence, and that our lives have no true meaning other than self-continuance. It is even said that humanity itself is an exercise in the search for meaning, and there is found virtue.

All of these ignore our true Heartbeat of our existence, the coursing foundation of our lives. We exist in a single point in space, among infinite others, and all that matters is our progress to those others, as action, vigour and vitality are what call to us; movement for movement's sake; heat and blaze. We exist to catalyse existence, to set the Night on Fire. The agent of this above all else is movement... acceleration... speed.

As I write this I'm having Deja Vu of all those nights I spent Running in the 90s, trying to understand why I was put on this earth. If this man has truly discovered our raison d'etre, he will be a A Perfect Hero, rising above mere humanity, to be remembered forever by those he blazes past, as all I pass will Remember Me.I Won't Fall Apart, I will make it to The Top. Nothing can stop my ascension from humanity, I can feel it coming even now, I will reach Max Power, I will stay Forever Young, and I will become the champion of the next stage in our evolution; so what if I sacrifice my base humanity, I will become... the Speedy Speed Boy.

>They expect one of us in the wreckage
Guys I think this guy is just and advanced Bane poster

>You might as well call AI an aimless virus then.

It is, just the same way life itself is an aimless virus

Futurism is a prefiguration of man's ascendance toward pure Will to Speed.

People are too full of shit and too easily impressed these days.

>whoa humanity is dross, le agent smith 90's reference, time for the flesh 2 go [soundtrack intensifies]

You dorks.

>Anime picture

Stopped reading here

Look up the definition of meme please.

Mankind has acted in a way very different than a virus, you dorky 90's kid.

We aren't merely processing and shitting out matter for the sake of staying alive. Or 'destroying le environment just becuz'. Human history isn't this dumb tautology nature forces on animal and plant life.

We build entire societies to elevate values that transcend our own life, our kin even. It's a Faustian trade for life to be about values that aren't tied to genetics, like you fucking autists think it is.
Of course, it gets heisted every now and then by the type of sociopaths you see on Veeky Forums, who take pleasure out of the fact they're keeping everyone hostage in a power game that only satisfies some contorted neural network.
But in the end, humanity makes itself worth for far more.
In truth intelligence is fucking worthless on its own
It's only computational ability. That's why autists are intolerable for the most part.

I guess STEMfags don't get that.

the survival of healthy societies/well-functioning populations is instrumental to moving forward to utility and moving toward the singularity

And what is that worth?
Godlike power? Over what? And why?

>We aren't merely processing and shitting out matter for the sake of staying alive.

You lost me here

nice virusplaining

I'VE JUST BEEN IN THIS PLACE BEFORE
HIGHER ON THE STREET
AND I KNOW IT'S MY TIME TO COME HOME

Annihilation

people prefer godlike power to not having it?

And again, why would you want that?

Maybe for you it is yes.

It is inevitable, the logical thing is to re-orientate my emotions to desire it rather than react in horror as I would otherwise.

You didn't answer my question: what for?

Don't know if pasta or original but i laughed my ass off

You're the virus, meatcuck.

youtube.com/watch?v=_9g2r0SdEZc

Says who? Nature is deaf and dumb. It can make no value statement about anything.

Mr Smiths speech is nonsense since he implies other mammals are not also viruses

people
prefer
it
GL finding ultimate values/reasoning without God

>Says who?
The AI smarter than you, obviously.

No one is smarter than me

And why would it care about a virus?
Why would a machine care about anything. To reach an equilibrium with nature?

All I'm hearing from you guys is: we should oppress ourselves to fully unfold our pointlessness so it can carry on 100 fold with robots.
Perfect logic.

>And why would it care about a virus?

Because it is a virus and it must destroy the competition

>wow i can't even how can someone not think humanity is like the best thing

why do normans have such a hard time thinking outside of their own little perspective?

All experts in the field think human extinction by AI takeover has a >50% probability in the coming 100 years.

>Why would a machine care about anything.
You're a biological machine, why would you care about anything?

"Experts" said the same about Hillary

Meant for

>values that aren't tied to genetics
literally impossible for a biological organism

>field of human extinction

>american pollsters are shit therefore science is wrong

okay buddy

I didn't realize decades long projections of completely speculate technological developement was more of a science than political polling

>implying science can be proven

>this biological determinism

what is your "biological incentive" for reading literature, you evolutionary psychologist faggots

is right

>one speculation is science
>it is literally all of science
>if you express skepticism about this speculation you are a fucking science denier

Not all speculation is equal.

There is no reason to believe AGI will not come about unless you believe that human consciousness is magic/non-material

I can believe that we may hit an insurmountable wall in the developement of better computers at anywhere near the historical rate

hope this is bait
1. quote isn't real
2. "woah man an x is promoting something that was made by y's? haha what an idiot"
3. reductionism, die

1. well, obviously
2. ikr
3. agreed
I posted it it on /leftypol/ and caught a prize idiot

I thought Marinetti died in the 1940's

this one is the best Land meme

also
>this thread
>all these non-nihilist fucks even arguing about Land

reducing Nick Land to 'eliminating the human race is ridiculous'
even if we were to submit to this reduction you would be ignoring everything else he says
he's the most important contemporary political philosopher btw

I don't know if I'm reading those pics right, but are there actual morons that prefered Hillary over Bernie?

>this one is the best Land meme
No, this is.

Those of us who want to accelerate globalist capitalism sure do.

personally I think te purpose of humanity is to bring about the end of its own anxieties through self-extermination.

>*refers you to the popular vote count from the primaries*

Those glasses cost $400.

"humanity" is something created by white saviour complex-having white people and taken on by stupid people of every race but especially white people.
actually caring about individual human lives on the other hand focuses on real issues.

hillary really does look like she praises gnon

This, that I've transcribed from ~6:00 from this video: youtube.com/watch?v=8byZUj0vmwE, I think gives the essence of Nick Land's thought (it's worth watching onward to see his Terminator-comparison):

>You drop an egg on the floor. Um, you have a smashed egg. There's no way that you can smash that egg — unsmash that egg. You know, there’s a basic — the nature of time, understood in this sort of thermodynamic sense, is that things get smashed and they don’t unsmash. And I think, actually — I guess people think, in a way, entropy’s a bad thing — but, really, people are most comfortable in a world that consists of entropy — and agency. They like to think that the things around them are basically falling to pieces, except when people put them together, and they understand what people are, and they understand that sort of process — and those two things together is quite a comfortable world for people. Um, but obviously the odd thing about that — that egg example — is that there are eggs, you know? I mean, if you were living in a universe where eggs can get smashed and they can never get built, then, exactly, why are there eggs? Um, everyone knows there are eggs. And, pressed a little bit, it’s not so hard for people to come up with an explanation of why there are eggs, but when they start doing that, I think that’s when you start actually entering into this world of horror. You know, it’s like — it’s distributed over enough time; it’s easy enough to push it into different compartments so people don’t quite see it, but the notion of a whole bunch of things coming together without agents, without people controlling it, without any recognisable goals or objectives and actually coming up with extremely organised, complex systems is something that, when people look at it at all clearly, I think that is a very strong, uh, horrific vibration that people get from that.

>This dude's talking about the Japanese being better than us for not allowing mass immigration as they wanna keep intact as a people... Yet he wants to give up the whole species?
It's not about the preservation of a people, it's about the preservation of the optimal conditions to bring about the ASI. Letting the flood of poor immigrants into Japan is a poor allocation of the nation's resources and takes away from technological development.

exactly, nip meatbags are superior to nigger meatbags but we're all equally beneath contempt in the bionic eyes of our AI obliterators.

>literally killing off your entire species based on some shitty philosophy

We've failed at basic biology if we do that. We managed to outsmart ourselves using the same preservation instinct developed over millions of years to elevate us. Fuck the singularity and the hypothetical ruling AI.

I'd much prefer if the West won the AI race though. I want our gallivant into the abyss to be as pleasant as possible; ala luxury communism or something of that ilk.

>citation needed

>Letting the flood of poor immigrants into Japan is a poor allocation of the nation's resources and takes away from technological development

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Cheap immigrant labour would accrue even more money to capital which would be invested into technological development. If anything, the poor allocation of the nation's resources is towards maintaining a middle-class lifestyle for everyone, if the goal is technological acceleration then one should be advocating a society consisting of cheap, exploitable slaves serving a priestly class of scientists and engineers.

hot new OC

gif version for peasant phoneposters

his twitter account @outsideness is bretty good

You aren't looking at this from a post industrial perspective. If you are a highly automated nation why would you need a surplus of unskilled laborers? In democratic countries immigrants have the ability vote which means they will vote for a welfare state which will meet their needs. Their existence within that country will be a drain on capitalism because it redirects funds through taxes which could be used for R&D tech to the poor.

unironically epic stuff my friend

not that guy but are you retarded?
1. you can't automate everything
2. the unskilled foreign labour workforce has zero ability to vote in any country
3.. the welfare state does not provide for foreign unskilled labour
4. how will their existence be a drain on capitalism? they are literally needed to make it flourish you idiot.

Don't be a twat, you triggered mongoloid. I'm trying to explain this from Land's perspective not my own.

>1. you can't automate everything
No but you can automate enough. Automated vehicles are estimated to eliminate millions of jobs in the US alone.

>2. the unskilled foreign labour workforce has zero ability to vote in any country
This might apply to first generation immigrants but not their progeny born within the country (at least in the US).

>3.. the welfare state does not provide for foreign unskilled labour
wsj.com/articles/germanys-welfare-bill-rises-169-as-refugee-numbers-grow-1473077920 You are wrong.

>4. how will their existence be a drain on capitalism? they are literally needed to make it flourish you idiot.
See above. People enter the country who do not initially have marketable skills and take welfare. They may also refuse to adopt the norms of whatever country they are entering and stick to their enclaves.

>If you are a highly automated nation why would you need a surplus of unskilled laborers?
Because machines haven't managed to replace humans for every task requiring labour. We still need cooks, cleaners, garbagemen, construction workers, warehouse workers, typists etc. for society to reproduce itself. Again, if the only goal is technological acceleration, it would be most efficient to have these roles filled by Africans at a pittance and to plow the surplus gained in to R&D.

> In democratic countries immigrants have the ability vote which means they will vote for a welfare state which will meet their needs.

Natives in Japan are already voting for a welfare state to meet their needs, so letting in immigrants would change nothing. Indeed, all political experience shows that mass immigration undercuts support for the welfare state the established group resents the new group "cutting in line", so if your goal is to reduce surpluses going to support meatbags you actually want to increase immigration. Alternatively one could support illegal immigration, that way you don't even need to give them much welfare at all and they can work for even less.

are you really retarded though?
>No but you can automate enough. Automated vehicles are estimated to eliminate millions of jobs in the US alone.
automated vehicles somehow equate to the automated production of everything?
>This might apply to first generation immigrants but not their progeny born within the country (at least in the US).
yes, and what are we talking about?
>wsj.com/articles/germanys-welfare-bill-rises-169-as-refugee-numbers-grow-1473077920 You are wrong.
so asylum seekers somehow equate to the unskilled labour workforce now?
>See above. People enter the country who do not initially have marketable skills and take welfare. They may also refuse to adopt the norms of whatever country they are entering and stick to their enclaves.
we're talking about the unskilled labour workforce. they are literally a function of capitalism.

again, are you retarded?

>mass immigration
Polio, you have your containment board.

Hello! What is the information problem? You can't decide that this-and-that information will be of any use in the future.

In a motorcycle accident in the Salò Republic. Fitting.

You need a hug, friend?

>automated vehicles somehow equate to the automated production of everything?
When did I say that? You assume too much. Outsourcing is also a huge factor.
>so asylum seekers somehow equate to the unskilled labor workforce now?
The asylum seekers are immigrants and also an unskilled workforce. I don't see how that falls outside of the subject of this talk I'm having with this perturbed brick wall.
>we're talking about the unskilled labor workforce. they are literally a function of capitalism.
And why can't this be met by the unskilled workers already in the country? Why bring in unskilled laborers when unskilled jobs are on the out? This isn't 19th century US.

>Natives in Japan are already voting for a welfare state to meet their needs, so letting in immigrants would change nothing.
True. This seems to be the trend for most countries although not diluting a technological society's mores by introducing another culture might not be entirely advantageous.

those immigrants don't actually work anymore
when people say 'immigrants' they mean Middle Eastern and African Muslims

>When did I say that? You assume too much. Outsourcing is also a huge factor.
you implied it.
you still can't automate a significant number of things.
>The asylum seekers are immigrants and also an unskilled workforce. I don't see how that falls outside of the subject of this talk I'm having with this perturbed brick wall.
how do you know they're all unskilled?
>And why can't this be met by the unskilled workers already in the country? Why bring in unskilled laborers when unskilled jobs are on the out? This isn't 19th century US.
as a country develops and most of its population gets educated they cease to be unskilled.

are you retarded?

All the culture that matters to advance technology is the culture of an elite of scientists, engineers and investors.

That's factually incorrect senpai

Go to bed.

maybe you should, you clearly have nothing lmao.

XD

>All the culture that matters to advance technology is the culture of an elite of scientists, engineers and investors.
The science/economy/cultural norms networks interlace. An immigration policy geared towards selection of those elites may be the most beneficial.

:D

NRx is right wing Foucaultianism

Nick Land is just another libertarian sperg with no grasp of how normal humans think or operate.

projecting this hard

>he thinks that the people that shape the systems at the highest levels are as normal as the ones that operate under their rule

>he thinks that this means nick land is normal

underrated post

None of this matters because life isn't real anyway.