Ok faggots, I have a fucking issue. I like potatoes (that's not the issue) so instead af baking them as I usually do...

Ok faggots, I have a fucking issue. I like potatoes (that's not the issue) so instead af baking them as I usually do, i'm trying to learn to make sautéed potetoes, the issue is, I can never seem to be able to give them a crispy crust. here's what I do, slice them in big pieces, boil them in salted water for about 6-8 minutes, let them dry, drop them in a medium-high heat pan with oil(about 2-3 tablespoons), let one side brown, flip them, add butter, let the other side brown, out the pan. I add spices while they're sautéeing in the pan. They are NEVER crispy. wtf do I do?

>he likes potatoes

You gotta rape those things with heat and cook them for like 30-40 minutes, even with a skillet.
That's if you're not boiling them, which is what I suggest if you're frying them.

that's why I boil them, I don't want to spend 40 mins in front of a pan. also, isn't sautéeing supposed to be different from frying? or am I missing something?

What you are describing ought to yield crispy potatoes. If they aren't crispy then the only thing I can think of is that you're using the wrong type of potato. What kind are you using? Make sure it's not a waxy type. You want a "floury" sort of potato for this, like Russet.

I coat in corn starch. Thanks to this board that I got that tip. It was for potstickers but works for this too. Makes then nice brown and crispy.

i'm starting to think it might acutally be the type of taytay.. also, might it be the oil temperature? it's not sizzling when I drop them, since I use olive oil i'm afrait it might brown too soon.

this is a new one! thanks for the tip user

I seriously hope it's not extra virgin.

>isn't sautéeing supposed to be different from frying?

Yes, and OP is misusing the term. Saute literally means "to jump". You put food cut into small pieces into a pan and you flip the foods by tossing them in the pan.

They absolutely should sizzle when they hit the pan.

Regular olive oil is OK. It's only Extra-Virgin that you shouldn't use for this.

it's not extra virgin, still, what's wrong with extra virgin olive oil?

Low smoke point.

>it's not extra virgin, still,

Then you're OK.

>what's wrong with extra virgin olive oil?
Nothing is "wrong" with it per se, but it does have a very low smoke point which means you can't effectively fry or saute foods in it. It will burn and taste nasty.

Extra-virgin is for dressings and sauces, not for high-heat cooking. Other olive oil is perfectly OK to cook with.

Potatoes contain a lot of water that will prevent them from becoming crispy. You have to fry them for a long time to get rid of enough moisture for crispness to happen, generally for more than 30 minutes when pan-frying.

>I like potatoes

>implying there's a difference between different tiers of olive oil in the US
h e h
just use some sensible oil you goddamn tomatoniggers, I can't think of a single dish that's improved by using olive oil over traditional corn oil/vegetable oil/canola/etc. It's a "sidegrade" at best and rarely notable.
dry it in the fridge for two days. Use hotter oil. Problem solved. Give me my fucking cheque.

>I can't think of a single dish that's improved by using olive oil over traditional corn oil/vegetable oil/canola/etc. It's a "sidegrade" at best and rarely notable

you've never tasted actual olive oli then, made by olives hand picked by you.. I feel bad for you man, if you ever find yourself in Sicily i'll show you what's up

COAT IT IN BATTER

DO IT

Try grilled potates, (broiled to americans).
Par boil in slices like you are doing. Then lay flat in your grill pan, season, and brush with oil. Grill one side till brown and crispy, turn over and repeat seasoning and brush with oil and grill that side. About 5-6 minutes per side should do it. Top tasty.

mine come out crispy, the key is pressing the potatoes down into the pan, essentially crushing them

- fingerling potatoes
- steam in pan with shallow amount of water
- when water is gone, add butter and olive oil
- potatoes should be softened but not cooked all the way, take a spatula and start pressing the potatoes forcefully into the pan
- presses should be strong enough to cause the potato to split around the edges and crush down
- the crushed little frayed bits of the potato contribute to the overall crustiness
- keep frying at high heat to build crust
- flip them when crusty on bottom side
- remove and toss with salt, pepper, and rosemary/thyme

this is pretty much how they do homefries at diners. take chunks of parboiled potato and press them down onto the flat top

I glanced through the replies and I didn't see anyone mention it, but something that is important for "crispiness" and that many people fuck-up is that you can't over-crowd the pan.
If you do then the water/steam that whatever you're frying gives off will just make everything around it soggy.
You have to give every piece enough room to "breathe" and to crisp up on its own.
If you have a lot of potatoes (or whatever) then you need to do them in batches a few at a time.

>Ok faggots, I have a fucking issue. I like potatoes

The first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have one.

Try adding a thin layer of flour to the potatoes after they boil.

reminder that there are many varieties of potato, all with different characteristics and suited to different ways of cooking.

>corn oil/vegetable oil/canola

into the trash with it!

Whenever I make hash browns I microwave the shredded potato for about a minute and it makes a huge difference

So try that maybe

>if you ever find yourself in Sicily i'll show you what's up
I don't fancy visiting a third world toilet anytime soon, dago

well, people in third wolrd apparently eat better than wherever the fuck you're from, you ignorant pile of albino warts

There's actually only four kinds of potato: regular, sweet, carrots and turnips.

you are absolutely free to keep on eating shit if it "fancies" you, mine was a friendly invitation

1. Not enough oil
2. Not enough heat
3. Wrong pan

If you want a pan that doesn't stick (and doesn't require an intensive break in period of seasoning like cast iron) get an anodized skillet. Teflon sucks for browning/crisping

Stopped by to say this. Leaving satisfied.

>insults America
>insults Sicily
>uses "fancy"
Britistani detected and ignored for his Muslim bullshit.

Spastic way to do that.

Raw potatoes, sautee for a few mins until brown then into the oven 200/400 for 15 mins.

I'm gonna be in Sicily for the first time visiting my relatives this summer, my family has been hyping up the food their for over twenty years now.

Why the fuck is liking potatoes a problem?

Lol, Sicily was occupied by Muslims for centuries.

Shouldn't modern British be used to Muslim occupation?

>the crushed little frayed bits of the potato contribute to the overall crustiness
This is how to do it. When making crispy roast potatoes, one trick is to parboil them and drain as usual, but then pop the saucepan lid back on and give the potatoes a gentle shake in the pan to rough them up, causing frayed edges and thus a greater surface area for the oil.

great!! if you get the chance (and have the cash) try to go to "La Madia" a resturant in Licata or to resturant "Duomo" in Ragusa, they are michelin starred, two of the best resturants in the island and considered to be in the top 10 best resturants in Italy

*restaurants

This works well but tom kerridge has a good tip that works well.

Boil them almost through then leave them to cool fully before placing them into hot oil for roasting.

His triple cooked chips are pretty hot too.

Russet potatoes, use a corer to get a nice cylinder, par boil and cool, fry at 150 in oil then cool then fry in duck fat at 180-190.

>Ok faggots, I have a fucking issue. I like potatoes (that's not the issue) so instead af baking them as I usually do, i'm trying to learn to make sautéed potetoes, the issue is, I can never seem to be able to give them a crispy crust. here's what I do, slice them in big pieces, boil them in salted water for about 6-8 minutes, let them dry, drop them in a medium-high heat pan with oil(about 2-3 tablespoons), let one side brown, flip them, add butter, let the other side brown, out the pan. I add spices while they're sautéeing in the pan. They are NEVER crispy. wtf do I do?
You are doing it wrong.

First, dont use oil, use butter and a bit of olive oil so it does not burn.

Also, you are overcooking your potatoes. You should boil it for 4-5 minutes just so it starts to cook, you take it out BEFORE it is actually soft.

This way it will finish cooking in the pan while you fry the sides to make it crispy, the secret to this is to leave it on the same side for a good amount of time, obviously more than whatever you are doing.

I use garlic, salt and pepper for seasoning.

Also, it is important for you to realize that too much butter will mess it up just as much as too little. You need like 1 or 2 spoons only for a normal sized pan.

You're not using enough heat, or you're losing it when you're adding your taters.

When oil isn't hot enough, it will be absorbed into the taters, instead of cooking them. Use a high heat oil, like peanut or safflower, heat it to the point where it just barely starts to smoke, and then add your taters slowly while monitoring your heat. Cook in batches if you need to. Just keep that heat up, and you'll get crisp taters.