In 25 years time, what would you have hoped to accomplish, in terms of literature?

In 25 years time, what would you have hoped to accomplish, in terms of literature?

A series as well respected as Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series.

I have a cute sci-fi short story I hope to get published.

a sentence that makes people die when they read it

i wish to read so much philosophy that i don't feel the need to do anything else and just live a humble life as a fisherman

alternatively, fail and go insane, write something high on opium and pain meds and get praised on Veeky Forums by contrarian pseuds

read literally every book by then

The game

Are there people who still play this? I kind of lost interest somewhere around 17 years old. Interesting concept, but... just... so boring.

I hope to have written, and maybe even published, at least two novels, three novellas, and many short stories.

Tbh, Baka Baka, Senpai, etc.

25 years, huh? That'd make me almost 50. Not very old. I guess I hope I'll have a stable voice and told a lot of stories that are meaningful to me. Don't care if they're published. Might be nicer if it was a net-only thing, maybe. That's my home, not buildings with strangers inside. Could give cute little readings though to audiences I like. Talk for long periods about characters and scenes with interested friends. I want to do more than write also. Drawings, music, etc. Combine 'em. Lazy though, so I can imagine having no works to my name I'd care about. Oh well.

used it as a password on my old computer bc I'd never forget it.

also in 25 years I hope to experience an afterlife that allows me to observe the critical acclaim of my body of work postmortem, which with any luck would include a flattering biopic and at least a few teenagers on tumblr either mourning or glorifying my likely suicidal opiate overdose.

my nachlass, desu

I will have written a modern classic and then sold out majorly. I am now living in a mansion with bikini babes on each arm while Veeky Forums greentexts excerpts from my newest trash

All I want to do is right comfy genre fiction that maybe a couple hundred people buy -- not enough to quit my day job, but enough that I feel fulfilled by the check in the mail. Whenever I flit through a bookstore, I always look for the small, neglected sci-fi fantasy section, and I like to rifle through all the books from the late 80s/early 90s, with their barely-comprehensible, relentlessly ambitious plots of princes and wizards or mad scientists in fantastic worlds, each of them straining to be the next Tolkien and all of them falling by the wayside to be forgotten until someone happens to stumble upon their work. That's what I want to be.

at least one novel.

although if i get one, i'll have at least 2. just gotta kick in that door.

A series of writings on the history of mathematics.

A wikipedia entry on the Rhind Papyrus. I've already done this in fact, but I'd like to prepare a stand-alone article as well, which would basically crib what I've already put up.

A pdf giving both a modern and a historical treatment of the solutions of the cubic and quartic equations, and reading Ars Magna as a historical text. This is a work in progress, but I'm part way through reading Ars Magna (the Dover English translation) for the first time, and I already have important lemmas to my treatment proven.

A "practical" work-through of Euclid (related: my own presentation of Euclid, on youtube or something. the people who have gone about doing so there don't seem to have been through the whole thing.)

A modern transliteration in pdf format of Whitehead/Russell's Principia Mathematica, freely available for the interested public. And this knowing full well ahead of time the futility of the project from the purely mathematical point of view, and with a view toward producing a modern and much more legible copy,

Maybe put my dad's unpublished novel online.

BAsically a lot of exposition and copy editing. It would be nice to have at least one cute math result to my name, to become a footnote in a future text.

I'd like to foster a habit of reading/absorbing literature, philosophy and academic papers in my downtime instead of endlessly scrolling through reddit, facebook and Veeky Forums.

Also this:
Hey I wanna git gud at math. I passed freshman recipe-calc once. Is dedekind's essays on numbers+spivak+apostol a good place to start? By even thesecond chapter I really struggle with proofs even though I'm great at it in predicate logic. My brain just can't into quantity I guess. Help me mathanon.

Is this legit? If so, can you give me the short version of what's interesting about either the historical or the modern cubic or quartic equations? I'd be especially interested in hearing how there's a story about modern quartics when numerical methods are what they are.

Fuck...I lost the game!

One really good book would be enough for me.

I'd like to squeeze all the goodness out of my primary and tertiary obsessions and distil what I know and feel into a novel that can be read and enjoyed for it's narrative, that also stands as a beacon of my desire to be known for what I am - a beardy antisocial dope fiend who reads too many comics.

Well I already got published, and I didn't have anything else set as a goal, so my free time is filled with masturbation.

Who? Sounds shit!!!

Sharpe Series by Bernard Cornwell. He's an English writer, likely an historian as well. Tried to join the Military a few times but never could manage, but anyways, he wrote the first one sometime around 1981 if memory serves though don't quote me on that. Sharpe's Eagle was his first, I'm quite certain, but chronologically the earliest is Sharpe's Tiger based in 1799. Roughly 21 novels have been made in the series, but it would appear as though Cornwell has washed his hands of Sharpe and Harper. They've had their adventure spanning between about 1799-1821 or so, and it truly is an amazing series. Very well written, with a lot of real history, and even the bits that don't tie into real history are EXTREMELY well written.

He's also made The Fort based in 1779 regarding the Penobscot Expedition, 1356 about the Battle of Poitiers which I read while I was in College, and Death of Kings which was based around the late 800s if memory serves. I first discovered his work while I was in Remand about 4 and a half years ago or so, and have been reading much of his stuff ever since. I think that's the best thing that came out of that whole unfortunate episode in my life; I discovered Bernard Cornwell. Give him a try if you're at all into historical fiction (though mind you, it leans HEAVILY towards the historical part; there's an Historical Note at the end of EACH novel to tell you what's true, what was fabricated to help with story/drama, as well as which characters truly lived and which didn't. I recall Sharpe's Sword in particular had quite a few real life characters.

Or, you know, you can continue to say it sounds shit. That's an option, too.